Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
How do you back in?

Just curious about this. I'm pretty good anymore backing so I don't know that I want to start over and try and relearn. i think i'm just looking to satisfy my curiosity. I know there are a couple different methods. This assumes non blind side backing.

The method I use doesn't follow the same line when backing in vs pulling out. I position the rig all the way to the left as far as I can up about 2 or 3 feet from the beginning of the space I'm going to back into. Crank the heck out of the wheel clockwise and start backing. Once moving I start making adjustments mostly counter clockwise to the wheel and back in. The main issue with this method is I need a lot of swing out space on the passenger side of the vehicle. Plus the obvious pressure on the trailer with the jackknife type of movement.

When I pull out I simple pull out to the right side of the street and drive away. In a perfect world I could back in using the same line as that of my pull out method but I've missed the boat on that one I think.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I pull 8-10 ft past the turn in. Then watching the trailer wheels, I gradually turn the steering wheel and guide the trailer wheels toward the inside corner of the turn in, and tweak it as I go until the trailer wheels straighten into the turn in and the steering straightens out. Hopefully all in one pass, but often as not requires a couple pull forwards.

Driver's side is easiest (for me) but I do the same for the off side.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Pull past the designated parking spot about to the end of the unit. Hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, slowly start to back and turn the wheel the direction I want the back of the Monte to go. Has gotten me into some pretty hairy close spots. Had no problems except for one time when I had a tree on the drivers side of the site to maneuver around with another campers TV parked out on the street(and they would not come out to move it---GRRRRRR). Maneuvered for about 15 minutes with no success. A fellow camper came up and asked if I needed help. Told him my problem and he said he had been an over the road truck driver for 30 years and volunteered to put the Monte into place. He took over the wheel and put that unit into the spot in one try. He did come REAL close to the tree(actually ran over the base roots with the Monte wheels) but when finished he had it about four foot away from the tree and in the perfect spot. Gave the man a beer and we talked for awhile, while I was setting up. Great guy and definitely knew what he was doing when backing a rig!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I like to start in the middle of the road about 10' past where I want to back in. Hand on the bottom of the wheel and slowly put it where it belongs looking at the trailer rails while my wife watches the blind side.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I find that starting the turn and after backing a bit, I turn the wheel back to neutral, backa little more, and reset the wheel in the direction of the turn while backing a little more to me seems to take stress off the wheels and keeps the tow vehicle from getting too set to one side. If you aren't trying different things...you aren't learning more about how these things react to different situations. Happy backing and when not happy...think about how much worse it would be to hit something. John
Old 11-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I've the issue at our S&B that first our street is narrow and second our driveway is even narrower. Got to pull past it about 20 ft and get the Monty starting to turn, then chase it a bit, and then get it cranked pretty tight. When I go back to chasing, the front of my truck is off the road and into the drainage ditch a bit. I've got to then pull forward & back up a couple of times to straighten everything out before backing up for about 180'. That part is the easy one. There's also a board fence on the drivers side and a raised berm on the passenger side at the driveway entrance - not to mention the drainage ditch & culvert under the entrance! Never a dull moment, although I did manage to back it in completely in one try (but only once out of about 25 atempts!).
Old 11-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have some friends that never did get good at backing their fifth wheel. They discovered that if they made an attempt and then did a lot of screaming at each other, someone would come out and back it in for them.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Pull a few feet past the spot on the left and crank it till you are going the desired angle into the spot then quickly start turning the wheel the other way and follow it in and to Stop ANY fights with the little woman ALWAYS use Walkie -Talkies,I don't know why more couples do not use them but then again it does make for some entertainment watching them yell at each other
Old 11-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
tony d
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17769
I watched several you tube videos and the following link actually was the best at explaining it for me. I try to use his diagonal method using an s turn to get a good angle before backing up. this I my first fifth wheel and I go slow and take my time.
http://www.loveyourrv.com/back-fifth-wheel-trailer/
Old 11-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Do whatever way you are most comfortable with
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
With most new trucks you don't need walkie talkies anymore. Our cell phones work thru the radio and so Joyce can talk me back on her cell and I hear her hands free just like she was next to me
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #12
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I watched lots of videos on subject. I put the Montana into some crazy spots as I have written. I like to see at least one side of RV all the way to the back. Once I get it on the mirrors I make "fluid steering ajustments". I think the hard turn back and forth method gets you off track. Key is to see where your going and be calm. I don't like help anymore, it just makes me and them very cranky. Was told by truck driver to imagine trailer parked and how you will get out of the space. Not bad idea! Oh nothing better than your guy giving directions , throws up his hands and makes a stupid remark! Not good way to start a campground friendship! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #13
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
We do like dqdick. We use my cell phone outside and his Bluetooth in the truck. No yelling from either one of us.
onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
My dad taught me to back rigs in and his jem of a tip works like a charm. When you get to the end of your run past of your site turn the wheels away from your turn go a few feet and stop. Now turn your wheel the opposite way and slowly start backing up, by turning your truck away at the end of your run past you are actually turning the rear of the trailer to your intended spot. I may not have explained it very well but everyone I have shown this too winds up using it. I gave up yelling got radios gave up on that and now my dw is simply there to watch my perimeter ,sides and top and do nothing else, its just a better way to start a trip for us/me.
Ragtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:32 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Humm. I really do not know. We have done it for so long with all types of vehicles it just happens. Will have to pay attention next time we do it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:29 AM   #16
MHC305RL
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15946
One tip that I saw on youtube (I think) was to put the camper tires just past the site, turn the TV wheels all the way to the right and pull up almost to the other side of the road, then turn all the way left to straighten the TV. Now just back up straight and the camper will start going into the spot. Then chase until you have the camper where you want it.
MHC305RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:52 AM   #17
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
When the wife is along, we calls me on her cell phone and talks me back. She uses 4 commands to keep it simple. Driver, Passenger, Straight, Stop.

Driver/Passenger is easier to understand than using Left/right.

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #18
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Just like I thought. Everybody seems to do it their way. No right way or wrong way and a whole bunch of different ways. As long as you end up in the spot w/o smashing into anything it's a success.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 AM   #19
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
We also use the cell phone trick for the blind side that I cannot see. If I am on my own backing somewhere I just have to get out of the truck and check the blind side now and then. Backing in is actually one of my favorite things to do. I like the challenge of getting into a tight spot especially if I can pull it off on the first try without having to move forward and reset. When I first learned how to back trailers when I was a kid working on farms the hand on the bottom of the wheel trick was the best trick I ever learned. -Glenn
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:38 AM   #20
Jamesadixon48
Established Member

M.O.C. #18011
My wife and I recently purchased a 2016 Montana 3160 RL paired with a Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax engine and Allison transmission. We owned a 5th wheel back in the late 90's, but sold it to go the motorhome route. We decided to go back to the 5th wheel and truck set up recently and need to refresh our minds on driving and backing. We are thinking about attending an RV driving school nearby to get some professional help operating our rig. Do you think this is a good idea, or should we just use the tips on the forum for backing, etc and find some places to practice, practice?

Anyone out there who has gone from a motorhome pulling a tow car to a 5th wheel who can give us some advice?

Thanks,
Jamesadixon48
Jamesadixon48 is offline   Reply With Quote