Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Addition To Dometic Refrig Recall

Dometic has expanded the refrig recall. It now includes refrigs made from Sep 2006 and earlier. Our rig was made in Jul 2006 and our refrig is on the recall.

You can check your's here (need model and serial #s of refrig):

http://www.dometicusa.com/recall.php

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Thanks it includes us.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Thanks it includes us.
Us too ! We just recently had the cooling unit and heating unit replaced. Are either one of those the cause of the recall?
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
DARN! I made it through the last one. Thought I was home free...

Good news... I am only a few miles from the closest service center.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
...and us. Ours just failed, I was in the process of arranging for a repair. Now maybe I'll get a new part. Wonder which would be better?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My 3400 was mfrd 7/20/06 (2007). Recall says don't run on LP gas under ANY conditions. If you have to run on electricity - not recommended - do not spend the night in the RV. We have been living full time for almost two years in this unit. I have not seen or smelled any of the warning signs, but it kind of bothers me that this fridge was defective all that time... I'm a little uncomfortable that my wife and I were apparently at risk for that period of time.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:TLightning Posted - May 12 2008 : 6:02:21 PM
Dometic has expanded the refrig recall. It now includes refrigs made from Sep 2006 and earlier. Our rig was made in Jul 2006 and our refrig is on the recall.

You can check your's here (need model and serial #s of refrig):

http://www.dometicusa.com/recall.php
TLightning, I checked when the recall first came out and it didn't include our refrig. Then last nite I checked again and it does include our refrig. I called my dealer, Blue Crick RV Service and I have an appointment to install the repair kit next Monday. The tech said it would only take 45 minutes for the repair.

Thanks for posting the recall.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #8
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I called today. My refrig is included in recall #2. They do not have a system up to refer you for service for recall #2 yet. I guess if you are taking in your refrig for service right away, check to see if the service center knows about recall #2 and how to fix it. I'd hate to make two trips.

This is another ammonia leak hazard. I was instructed to turn off the propane valude to the refrig. I am a full timer so I am using refer on electric. I have no yellowing, staining, odor of ammonia or performance of cooling symtoms to worry me about using it in electric mode. But fire hazard is no joke. They will call me in about a week to arrange service.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is affected. We have an appt at Camping World tomorrow for the stabilizer work. I just arranged with CW to take care of the refrigerator at the same time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I just checked ours and it had been recalled also. We purchased ours in Dec of 2006 ...I wonder why we were not notified by mail of this problem? Our dealer said they filled out all warranty/registration cards, hmmmmm. I did call a dealer close by that was an authorized service center, they said they could have it done in 45 minutes to an hour....which I am happy to hear.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My closest dealer - 39 miles - said 30 minutes. Said Dometic was only giving service centers $25 per fix. I also have not received any mail on this. Not sure when I can get to this. Not crazy about the $35-$40 out of my pocket for fuel to round trip this. Guess it's worth a call to Dometic. I'm assuming they don't send service personnel out to your location?

Also, when I took the cover off to check, I found a blue wire - bullet connector - laying loose in there. Anyone know where this is supposed to be hooked up to? I couldn't find anything...
Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ours missed the list - for now anyway. Monty date 01/2007
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
When I first learned about this, I clicked on the link, then, just for the heck of it, put in my zip code for the closest authorized Dometic repair service. Thought for sure it would be one of the many RV dealers around, but no, the only name that came up was a mobil RV repair service. On Thurs, he is coming to me...can't beat that. Check it out, might save a tow some where.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
the "fix" simply reduces the chance of fire- it DOES NOT fix the real potential of a leak of ammonia- the real problem is a defective boiler- am waiting for my tech to install an additional metal shroud around the chimney- this is their idea to get off the hook- I am not impressed by this "fix"- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don, are you talking about the fix for the 1st recall or the 2nd recall. I understand they were two separate perceived problems. I think?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #16
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Guys mine is in this batch also. I called dometic today and got recording and gave my model and serial # and was told it was a recall. then was transferd to a real person and she told me there was no recall pass 03 and wanted to know where I heard about it. I told her to listen to the recording with my s#. she was going to get back to me today but has not yet. I have a very low tolarance for stupitity. I will wait and see I also have a mobile guy close by but he said they will not pay for a service call just the repair. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #17
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Thanks for posting that. I now fall under that recall. Will have to make arrangements now as we also live in ours full time. I haven't had or seen any sign of the problems but will be keeping a closer look until I can get it in for service.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So... do we have a 2nd recall??? or not??? Bobby, let us know what Dometic says.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours was on the list. We were going to Camping World today, anyhow (the Eliminator thread) so we arranged to have the recall taken care of today.

I asked what they do in the recall and I was told they install a shield around the burner. I am not sure why.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #20
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I asked what they do in the recall and I was told they install a shield around the burner. I am not sure why.
Steve,

They install a shield around the burner to contain the fire should the boiler tube break open. The amonia will burn when released under pressure in the presence of a flame. Thus, the reason they tell you not to use LP to operate the refrigerator until the retrofit is done. This retrofit does not fix the real issue with the refrigerator, defective boilers tubes, but hopefully contains the fire so it doesn't burn down your coach when it fails. IMHO I think Dometic should replace everyone of these defective refrigerators with new cooling units with an improved boiler tube design!! Hopefully, some lawyer will start a class action suit that will require this! Off my soapbox now.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote