Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
We decided today.....ALASKA in 2007!

We've kicked it around for a few years, but it's time. We'll leave FL in April and work our way up to AK by sometime in June. I'll be watching the MOC for your comments/hints/cautions, etc.

Norm and Chris

nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We went to Alaska this summer. I suggest a few things, take a generator, extra fuel containers for your truck. I installed a 50 gal. saddle tank. If you fish, get a freezer to take with you. I ended up with two.
If I go again, I would not take the Top of the World highway. Other than these, you are on an adventure.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We made the trip to Alaska last year. It will be the adventure of a lifetime but at the same time, it will be a very ordinary trip. Gas stations are very available, food is very available, campgrounds are strategically placed along the route, and the roads are bumpy. The scenery is unbelievable. rvfirefighter's advice on the freezer is right on target. Shipping fish home is very expensive and you'll have wonderful opportunities to catch a lot if you're so inclined. Be sure to have at least one electric heater with you and buy it now during the winter as they put them all away in a couple of months or less. Especially in Florida and Alabama! Keep the questions coming. Several couples have made the trip in the past two years and they'll be glad to help. The Milepost magazine should be your first purchase.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
Has anyone taken their Monty to Alaska via the marine highway from Bellingham, WA to Skagway, AK? I plan on doing this late Spring '08, making stops on the way. I think the cost will be well over $3,000 just in ferry costs but a trip of a lifetime!
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:54 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
GlobalDouglas, We took the 13 mile leg from Haines to Skagway on the ferry. The cost of this was $237. but saved us approx. 400 miles and alot of diesel fuel at canadian prices. You probably know that you cannot stay in your rig on the trip, you have to shut off the propane, so your fridge is not working. I considered it but expense was too much. Our rig is 56 feet total length.
When we loaded, it took some manuevering to get us on and even more to get off, we had to back off.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We went to Alaska this year and loved it. My advice is to take as much time as possible and take lots of money. We have a good log on our blog with lots of pictures if you want to check it out. It starts out in May 2006

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:58 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
How exciting, Norm and Chris! We'll see you in a couple of weeks!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
FWIW, I'd read richfaa's post in the Montana Technical Help, Problems and Problem Solving thread regarding their 3400 going up in smoke...and check my 3400.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #9
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,

We too are kicking the AK thing around for this Summer. We would also leave in June from our home in AZ and stay gone till Oct.

Reading here brings up a couple of questions.

Just read, begining Jan. 23rd Passports will be required flying to Can. The artical didn't mention if a Passport was also required if driving thru Can. Anyone know? Cost for Passports is $97 each now. Rather not do that.

Helen, wrote "Bring lots of money" what might sneek up on us that maybe we haven't thought about?

rvfirefighter, wrote, "take a generator" & "extra fuel containers" Don't own a Gen. and really don't want one. Extra container? We pull with a Gasser and have a short range of about 240/270 mi. Can't find a tank for under our Dodge. Tried a couple of years ago and don't have room for one in the bed as that's where our Motorcycle rides. Could fit a couple of "Jerrie" cans in the bed though, but concerns about safty there.

jrgwdenner, wrote, "roads are bumpy" any potential here for damage to TT or TV?

Thanks
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Before we went to Alaska, we heard that you needed to protect the front of your tow vehicle, take a spare tire, take extra fuel tanks, get mosquito netting, etc. Now we realize that none of these things were necessary. Food and gas are very available at regular intervals and if we were to return, we wouldn't take any extra supplies. We did fill up our tanks on the road when they got close to half empty. The roads are bumpy in a few places and you will sometimes find it necessary to slow down to 20 or 30 mph but most of the roads are very good. We used our generator a few times on the road but very few. I don't think a generator would be necessary.

Most of all, get your Milepost magazine and start reading about the many fascinating places to visit and stay on the main roads when you're towing. We boondocked a few times and didn't have reservations very often. There are two military bases, at least, in Alaska and some Corp of Engineers parks where you might like to get reservations. Have fun with the planning. It's part of the adventure.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
You might want to read our blog starting around May 2006 of our Alaska adventure. We wouldn't trade it for anything but you are in Canada a lot of the time and a lot of the miles and diesel was very expensive there. Many places we paid over $5.00 a gal. Doesn't seem so bad when it says $1.34 per liter but when you convert it to US, it costs a lot. Fresh foods were also more costly because of the distance to ship them. Fish was plentiful but if you order it out, they say they only have three months to make their profit so charge accordingly. Friends of ours had relatives that lived in Alaska and when they showed their drivers license, a big discount was taken off the bill.

Don't get me wrong. We're not complaining. We would do it all over again in a second and pay even more if necessary. It is an experience of a life time.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #12
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
What you need depends on what you are going to do. I would not go again without the setup I had. I like to camp in state parks without electric hookups and any pullout I could find where the fishing was good. That was my main objective in Alaska was to fish as much as I could and the places I was at did not have hookups.
I would ask as many people as you can and determine on your own what you will need. There are places like Chicken Alaska where the town was ran on generators. Fuel is relative plentiful, but be ready to hit the wallet in some areas of Canada and Alaska.
I will go again and I will do things different. I will not pull my fifth wheel the next time, I will have a truck camper and do the inside passage and go to Kodiak Island.
It is an amazing place, you will enjoy it whatever you do.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #13
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Great info Folks, keep it comming.

adelmoll, If Diesel was $5+ what might we expect for Gas.

jrgwdenner, I almost forgot about those Mosquitos, big as Humming Birds, right?

rvfirefighter, So you used the Gen. mainly to keep your Coach batt. up when not having elect. Right? Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with having a Gen. but the last one I had never got used so I sold it and haven't needed one since and that was about 13 years ago.

Still looking for info about the Passports. Sure hope their not required.

Happy Camping
Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The mosquito stories were other tales that we heard that never materialized. We didn't enter Canada until July so maybe the bugs are worse in June but we had very little trouble with bugs. If you were out at dusk the skeeters will find you but they're no worse than the ones out at dusk in Alabama. You will need bug spray.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:44 PM   #15
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
The weather we had was an unusually cool summer, the temp.stayed in the 50's till we got to Fairbanks where it got in the 70's. I had heard horror stories about the bugs and sketters but we only experienced a problems in Canada and some places in Alaska. Overall it was not a problem, even fishing out in wild on the river i always had a can of spray and that was all I needed.
My main use of my generator was to keep my freezers running and cold. We had terrible electricity in most of the parks we stayed in with electricity, mostly 15 to 20 amp. service, no water hookups, etc. I had better electricity with my generator than what was provided. Make sure your water pump is working, I used mine more in Alaska than the previous 5 years.
My generator is a suitcase model Kipor, the old 3000 model that puts out 26 amps. It's small, fits in the front compartment, you can put it anywhere.
Passports are required to cross the border as of Nov. this year. We did not have them, had no problems, but according to the web they are required now. We tried to cross in smaller areas to cut down on traffic. We encountered none.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
It's funny you should mention the mosquito's. Yes they are huge but their bite isn't nearly as bad as the smaller ones that is the state bird of Minnesota. I swell terribly from those but the few bites I got in Alaska were just an annoyance.

As far as gas prices, it is a little less in Canada just like in the lower 48. Not all places in Canada were over $5.00 We just hit a remote spot in the Yukon that was extra high and another place just outside of Denali in Alaska that was taking advantage of the fact there was no other diesel around. At the time we traveled last year, gas was at it's all time high. Hopefully it will be down a little this year. As far as passports, I am not sure when the new law goes in effect. Last year we read that Dec 31, 2006 was the deadline for no passport but that might have been extended. You can look it up on the web. We travel so much between Alaska and Mexico that we would not be without a passport. Passports last for ten years and that works out to be under $10.00 per year.

Helen
Old 12-29-2006, 03:39 AM   #17
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I agree w/Helen (adelmoll)re. pasports required in 2007 to re-enter US. We went to AK in 2005 and found Canadian fuels prices high, too. But if you think Canada fuel is high, wait til you buy beer/liquor!!! Prices are 3-4x states' prices. And, you can't bring a supply from the states. Cut down consumption alot.
Spend as much time as you can on the trip and experience it all. Might as well, as it is a long way up there! Enjoy.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:42 AM   #18
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,

Finally got to research the Passport issue.

Here's what I found; Starting Jan. 23 07 it's required returning by Sea or Air from anywhere outside US.

Starting Jan. 1 08 it will also be required if returning by land.

So this is the last Summer for crossing w/o Passports by land.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #19
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Oh ya, I forgot about the liquor (now how could I do that?) The same brand vodka bought in Califorina for $8.99 was $46.00 in Canada. We paid it once and sipped very slowly. I sure was glad I had quit smoking because that would have have really broke me. Over $9.00 per pack and most of the packs had less than 20 cigs in them.

Helen
Old 12-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Passport for air travel are required in 2007, for land travel the date is in 2008. We are leaving Alaska this summer and travelling through Can and have already confirmed this with State department.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote