Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Plugging In The Diesels...Brrrrr 1 degree Here

We'll, it's that time again, but boy did it come on all of a sudden. What temps do you let it get down to before you plug in your diesel?? My husband and I are, well let's just say NOT AGREEING on this!

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:31 PM   #2
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
For me, usually anything below 40-30 degrees. Diesel can gel up plus it isn't as refined as gasoline so there may be a certain amount of water content (and other contaminants) in the diesel that can freeze given the temperature gets low enough. Besides, plugging it in doesn't hurt anything, reduces your glow plug cycle the next time your start her because she's a little warm already, and warms up a tad faster.

BTW, be sure to drain your Fuel/Water separator once a month!
Montana_2694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Here in California I never plug in. Another good reason to live in the shake and bake state.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:57 PM   #4
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I generally plug in when temps are going below freezing.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Well, I'm in a part of CA where it does freeze and I plug in below 40. It makes for an easier start and provides quicker deforsting. Of course if Mt. Shasta decides to blow it's top again all this is unneccesary.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:30 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ok, you gotta help this po' dumb southern boy. What do you mean "plug-in"? Is this something built-in to the diesels or is it something you have added to deal with the cool northern air. Is it on the engine block or is it on the fuel tank or both? Ignorance reigns here.

I really need to know since I am headed north east for the Christmas holiday season. The day we are to leave, it is to be in the low 20's or high teens in Houston. I have only been driving this diesel for a couple of months.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:44 PM   #7
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Is this something built-in to the diesels or is it something you have added to deal with the cool northern air.
On the Fords, there's a block heater on them. From what I've read, it also warms a portion of the fuel line or where the Fuel/Water separtor is located. They are standard on all Ford Diesels HOWEVER, the '05s need a plug unless you get Job #1 on your truck and not Job #2. That doesn't make sense but hey, who am I?

P.S. I see you have an '02 with the 7.3L so yours is easier to find. It's behind the front bumper by the passenger tow hook...at least mine was...... you might have to search a little while for it.
Montana_2694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:13 PM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Although we pretty much stay where "plugging in" it isn't a factor, I seem to remember that there is a description of the installation in the Owner's Manual and also it should tell you the temperature where use becomes recommended. But, as others have said, why not use it...costs nothing except 3-5 seconds of work and saves time in starting and warm up..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:17 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
I usually plug my Duramax in when temps drop below 30 degrees. I have been down as far as -23 without being able to plug it in and the truck started all 3 weeks I was in those temps. As mentioned above it does help starting in the morning, also remember to be using "winter" diesel at the pumps for those of us who are up north. This will also help with the "gel" that happens in colder temps.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:20 AM   #10
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Hmmmmm! Have never plugged in yet It is 26 here in Mississippi this morning. we have a little light on the dash and when it goes off the truck starts right up, so far. It got down to -10 in Nevada and it did the same thing.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:45 AM   #11
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi Never have plugged in and always went. Try to be gone b4 it gets really cold but got caught in -10 last year. Don't know anyone around here that does. Seems like if it was a problem everyone would be talking about it. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:34 AM   #12
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
my owners manual says no need to plug in until 0 degrees, but I plug in anytime it hits 15 degrees. never had a problem at temps. higher than that.If I let it get to 0 ....then it probably wouldn't start!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:41 AM   #13
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I only plugged in once with the old diesel 92 when it was in the -20 degree range but other than that it always started, the 95 has never been plugged in as last night was the first night that it has dropped below zero and I haven't tried to start it yet, if it don't start rite up then I'll plug it in as I don't use this as a daily driver I see no need to plug in when the temps drop below freezing and if your glow plugs are all working it will start well below zero. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:04 AM   #14
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Although we are from Ontario, Canada where you definetly have to plug in the truck, we haven't used the plug since we started being Winter Texans. All vehicles come equipped with the block heaters in Ontario as it becomes standard equipment up there. I use to plug in around the 30 deg. area.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:07 AM   #15
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
One more thing to add. Our truck came equipped with a grill cover that is supposed to be used to warm the truck up quicker in colder weather. I suppose if it is cold enough to plug in the cover should be used also.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:21 AM   #16
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I'm an ignorant Southern California boy whose truck has never seen snow. Where's the plug in on a '04 Duramax? We're going to Prescott AZ for New Years and may need to plug in. Since the truck didn't come with a cable to plug in, does that mean that the engine isn't wired for it? I know I'll have to get a cable.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:23 AM   #17
jh1802
Established Member

M.O.C. #2162
Sue
You may want to check your owners manual. I believe the new cummins says it is good till -20. It got down to 10 degrees last night and this morning I got in and turned the ignition to the on position, waited for the light to go off and it started right up. Just like it does when it's 60 degrees out.
jh1802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:29 AM   #18
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jh1802

Sue
You may want to check your owners manual.
Thanks, I did check the manual, but my truck didn't want to start the other morning.......This is what reminded us to plug in. Also, shouldn't we take wind chills into condsideration????? I mean it's 1 degree here with a wind chill of -25!!

Just some input please. Also, we don't have winter blend here, but my husband did put something in the gas.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:57 AM   #19
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Gets pretty cold here in Northeastern Wisconsin. Haven't plugged my truck in yet. Has to grind a few seconds before starting, but starts right up. Just turn the key, no waiting for lights to go out.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 04:26 AM   #20
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
usually new trucks have the cord bound up with a wire tie or rubber band under the hood. you have to look for it and push it through the grill, then you just use a heavy duty extension cord and plug it in. I use a lighted one (lighted plug on the end) becuse I've had the GFI breaker trip (not knowing it) and it was like not plugging in at all.this way all I have to do is look and if it's lit, then it's working!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote