Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
kevinmcc08
Established Member

M.O.C. #21757
Diesel generator instead of LPG?

Hello,

We have a 2018 3950BR.

Has anyone installed a diesel generator onboard in the same spot as the lpg one is designed to go?

I was looking at this one, just for example:
https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs...1044_specs.pdf

I think that with any serous use the propane tanks are just cumbersome and annoying to deal with. I could get an external diesel storage tank
In the bed of my truck, and also have the benefit of either lots of generator fuel, or having extra fuel for the truck itself. Mainly relying on a single common fuel source seems nice for many reasons.

I know the class A diesel pushers use diesel generators.

Does anyone have any opinions on this topic, putting one in a Montana?
Thank you.
kevinmcc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
That sounds like a great idea. I would like to do that to I have a lot of diesel and not much propane. Will it fit?
Old 10-07-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
The exhaust from a diesel generator is way more harmful than one from a LPG generator.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
The exhaust from a diesel generator is way more harmful than one from a LPG generator.
I would think they would properly route the exhaust.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
This is what I like the most about this forum. There are always multiple ways to skin the cat. Ironically it was the OP's critiques that lead us to go lpg instead of diesel. kevinmcc08 I am sure that your choices will be best for you. I am not sure if the exhaust on a generator is as dirty as a truck nor do I suspect there are emissions reduction requirements. Assuming the exhust is routed properly I wouldn't expect any issues with regard to exhaust. I do know that the Onan we selected was also offered in a diesel variety of the same dimensions that is designed to fit within the standard install location.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
kevinmcc08
Established Member

M.O.C. #21757
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I go back and forth on this, so you may have seen me arguing FOR lpg at some point

My latest thinking on LPG is that I’ve heard the 30 pound propane’s in the Montana can be upgraded to 40lb, then I could mount two more into the truck locked into an upright position for safety. That would give you around 40 gallons of propane, a runtime at 1/2 load of around 40 hours. The diesel would give you nearly double that, since it runs under 1/2
Gallon of fuel per hour under half load.

The diesel generator is more expensive, but I could carry 50-100 extra gallons of it in the truck with an aux fuel tank.

Also refilling 40 gallons of propane vs a similar amiunt if diesel is no comparison on which is easier. 10 minutes versus an hour.

Propane solution is several thousand cheaper than diesel.

It’s an interesting conversation.
kevinmcc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Have you looked into the differences in maintenance?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I agree completely it is a very interesting conversation and again not to beat a dead horse but what works for us may not work for the next person. I did upgrade by purchasing two 40lb tanks for our monty. I plan to carry at least two additional 30lb tanks (original equipment). I recently added a 60 gal after market fuel tank and decided I did not want to carry an additional tank in the bed. What put me over the edge was that I got a screaming deal on the generator itself. I could have gone either way. Now that we are have solar and lithium the generator will only be used when we cannot get enough sun to charge the batteries or to run the AC while in transit to a hot location so the rig is cooled once we land.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #9
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
This is what i am planning,I haven't seen any diesel set ups here, they are quiet & efficient. We are looking at the Duro Star 7000 & mounting it in the back of the bed with an aux diesel tank.With a permanent install & a 50 gal fuel cell to run gen & extra fuel for the truck if needed plus it fits against the cab & clears the camper.We have the gen ready option so the power connection is up front, I will wire the gen to a plug at the hitch & make up an extra cord to plug into the camper.With 6500 running watts it should power everything,right now we can run both ac on 30 amps, but nothing else. So far here in the N East we have not needed to run both ac together yet, but would be nice to have a full 50 amps.I am still looking but right now for 1700$ this seems to be an attractive set up since I was always going to add an aux fuel tank.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #10
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
My son works for Cummins and recommends LPG. Your generator will burn cleaner around your camp site not to mention lower maintenance cost, decreased engine wear. Have had my 5500 Onan LPG for seven years. In that time we have used it for 239 hours. Only have to change my oil and filter annually. No gummed up injectors after long periods of no use. You still might want an extra tank of diesel for your truck. That way you can take advantage of lower cost fuel. Hope this helps.
c2itcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
CVNCheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #18393
I agree propane is cumbersome. We do a ton of dry camping during hot summer months and extended generator runs are commonplace. I looked at that generator (8KW) but it didn't quite fit in my 3400RL. (The generator fits but no room for a heat shield) I put the 7KW gas model in with an external fuel tank. With the gas model I don't need an external fuel pump but with the diesel you will (easy enough to make it work.) I had hoped to add a fuel cell in the bed of my truck that would refuel the generator and extend the range on my truck.

2010 3400RL
2013 F350 6.7L DRW
CVNCheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #12
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
There are aux. propane tanks available that can be mounted in the bed of a truck. Maybe something in the 80-100 pound range for extended generator run when boondocking.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #13
jloftice
Established Member

M.O.C. #13211
Diesel Generator

I've not seen any mention of the weight of a diesel generator vs the lpg. I wonder if the normal mounting location is stressed to handle the weight of a diesel not to mention the added pin weight.

We have an LPG Onan 5500. The tanks can be inconvenient to fill but we use ours only for when we stop on the road for lunch or if we leave our dog in the coach for an hour or so while we check something out. If it's really hot I'll stop 30-60 minutes from our overnight and start it up to get the unit cooling down.

We've recently purchased a Class A DP and on hot days we have to run the generator while driving down the road to keep cool so it gets a bit more use.
jloftice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:40 PM   #14
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Do you plan on doing a lot of dry camping where you have a need for generator? I was thinking about installing a generator in my 2012 3750FL when I bought it used in 2013. I was thinking it would be great to have. After a lot of thinking I decided not to and till this day I have never dry camped or had a need for a generator. Then again that's just me. I am not a hard core camper. I am a Glamper (glamor camper). If a camp ground doesn't have 50 amp service I don't stay their.
Two of my friends have generators in their rigs and never use them. They just start them up once a month and let them run for 15 mins to a 1/2 hour as preventative maint..