Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
Montana_3313

M.O.C. #3313
3500RL

I like the floor plan but do not like the french doors/partition. Is it possible to order this unit without the partition?

Montana_3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I think that is the 3400. I hope I'm right.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I see I am NOT exactly right. Almost, but not quite. These is a different layout in the Kitchen/dining area, and in the bathroom area. The living room is the same except that the 3400 does NOT have the french doors. That was what I was thinking of.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
Montana_3313

M.O.C. #3313
I like the 3400 too but the counter makes it tough getting around with the slide outs retracted.

Judging by looking at the floor plan the kitchen appliances are all accessible in the 3500 without extending slide outs. Kinda nice for a quick stop or overnight in a parking lot.

In addition we like open floor plans. The peninsula counter in the 3400 cuts that down. The 3500 w/o the partition looks to us ideal.
Montana_3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The 3500 is a great floorplan and I'd bet that you can remove those doors or special order the unit without the doors. Just don't know how to do either. Welcome to the forum.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would bet you can order the 3500RL without the doors, but you will still have the walls that seperate the kitchen and living area. That is one of the biggest things I like about my 3400RL, no divided rooms provides an open air feeling.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #7
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
That's what we like about our 3400 too.
And that you can get at the refrigerator for a snack while traveling.
Even with 3 medium size dogs we have plenty of space.
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ditto for the 3400 - lots of open space. We have no problem traveling and stopping for lunch or snack. And there is a LOT of counter space. If you turn the table around, you can get into the LR with slides in. Ed just crawls over the island if we need to. Of course we don't do Wal-Mart parking lots but why can't you put the slides out when in one?
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I know what you mean about the French doors. They do look nice, but they made me feel a bit closed in. The RV space is limited as is. An open feel is very important to us. We also liked the larger cabinet space and kitchen area, but again, it cut down on the wide open area and expansive feel. I don't care for the too-small-for-a-real-desk area on the 3670. Will have to see what I can do to redesign that space for better use.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:13 AM   #10
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Love our 3500. First thing we normally do after getting the slides out is fully open both doors, and they stay there until we're ready to run the slides in when getting ready go again. For us, that eleminates the "closed in" feeling. The kitchen cabinet comes out to the edge of the door frame on the curb side anyway, so that only leaves the small area on the street side, which has the full length window in it. Some might say that defeats the purpose of the doors, but, if we have overnight guest or other need for privacy, all we have to do is swing them closed. Everything except the pantry is accessable with the slides in. Not a lot of room between the table and end of counter, but I can get through OK.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:00 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Ditto for the 3400 - lots of open space. We have no problem traveling and stopping for lunch or snack. And there is a LOT of counter space. If you turn the table around, you can get into the LR with slides in. Ed just crawls over the island if we need to. Of course we don't do Wal-Mart parking lots but why can't you put the slides out when in one?
Happy trails...................
Explain 'turn the table around" Do you mean turn it like sideways?
you would lose two spaces but there are only two of us. Another thing to check out at the RV show...What a list...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:17 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich
Yes some have done that. Also some have taken out two of the chairs which gives you more room. We haven't done that because we are taking advantage of the storage in the chairs. We also haven't turned the table around because Ed likes to watch TV sometimes when we eat. And getting into the LR while traveling has not been a priority. I suppose you could turn it to travel and then turn again when set up. BTW when the unit arrives the table is screwed to the floor. We removed screws and the table hasn't moved while traveling. We did the same with our previous 5er.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:31 AM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Another option I thought about when looking at the floorplan is you could move the furniture all together. Some folks have swithed the sofa and recliners around placing the sofa against the back windows. Well if you are going to put the recliners in the slide out you could also switch the table and chairs and the recliners. Or if you have the sofa in the slide you could switch the sofa and table around, I as Sue has mentioned had my table screwed to the floor, during the PDI I had them unscrew it and have not had any trouble with it moving during travel. While traveling on the road I have not found a reason that I need to get into the living room area when the slides are closed. As long as I can get to the fridge, watercloset and bed I am good. Anyways, more food for thought...
Old 02-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #14
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening All,

We ordered the hydraulic selector valves on our 3400. Our previous Cardinal didn't have these, and you would never know which slide would move first.

While we are traveling, I set the valves such that only the main slide is activated. When we stop, it takes only 5 sec. to move this slide (curb side) out about 12". Even I at 2xx pounds can then easily get by the dining table, sit and eat at the table, and gain access to the full rear of the trailer.

When its time to move on down the road, push the slide button and 5 sec. later we are ready to go.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:41 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gee, I guess we're in the minority. We do not have the 3500 but I really like the French doors. For our situation it would be terrific. Grandkids could watch tv back there while they're falling asleep and it wouldn't bother us upstairs. Likewise if one of us is sleeping and the other is watching TV. And we personally prefer a small apt look, meaning separation of functional areas rather than one big room or tube. That's one of the things we really like about our 3295RK, besides its superior counter space and storage space. But that's just what works for us and obviously that differs considerably from preferences of others. Neither is right or wrong, just what's right for each of us.

All that done and said, the doors are likely removable but I doubt the walls could be eliminated without major work. And the factory, to the best of my knowledge, does not custom build unless it's on the options list.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks for the input on the 3400. I had considered Rickfox's method..glad to see it works. We deleted One recliner and the lamp/table to make room for the stupid Bird's cage. We picked up a 15Inch flat screen Tv to sit on kitchen counter.Helen likes to watch Tv while fooling around in the kitchen.I can jury rig a hookup .
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:53 AM   #17
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I was told you can get sliding pocket doors instead of the French doors if you wanted it. that would work good as well, my wife likes the look of it but only draw back we saw at the show was it had about same amount of counter space as or current unit. that is only thing we find hard in our 3685 is lack of counter space.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
If you like the 3500RL you might want to take a look at the new 3600RE. This new floor plan might also fit your needs while on the road. My dealership just got a 3600RE in, hope to go take a look this weekend.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I thought it was kind of neat. Got a "No". I hope I don't offend the gals, but... I just have a difficult time trying to figure out what women see in a 5ver that I cannot see. I will look at something and say, "I kind of like this layout." She'll walk in, take a quick look, then turn for the door and say, "Nope." I'm at a loss... I don't get an explanation. All I get is, "Just don't like it...", and the discussion is over...

I have a great wife. Don't think we're supposed to understand everything... sometimes us guys have our hands full just trying to do our jobs. No sense complicating things...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #20
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
we have the 3500rl and love the french doors. we close the doors and turn on the fire place when it is cold out side and enjoy a movie. the french doors is what made us look at the montana and fall in love with it.if you don't like the doors you can alway take them off.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote