Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #41
CWB
Established Member

M.O.C. #28205
Thank you very much for the help. That is exactly how mine is too. I would have never thought that there would be two valves both turned off. I guess the one is for if they have to remove the fridge for whatever reason. It's making ice now. Thanks again.

CWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #42
Mroe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23577
A new year and still not fixed. The people from Fridge Defender were surprised that their unit didn't fix my problem. I sent them the data I retrieved from their unit to see if "maybe" I have a setting wrong. But I still don't see how this unit can do nothing more that protect my boiler from overheating and turn on my exterior fans, (which have not helped in the AZ heat) So will see. I put dry ice in my fridge to bring it down till we can get up to Greer where it's cooler and the unit will then work fine. Wish I would have gotten a domestic version fridge. Oh well, will see what they say when I get back next week.
Mroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:58 PM   #43
Mroe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23577
No fix yet for my fridge issue. Adding exterior cooling fans didn’t help. Now thinking about either swapping cooling unit out for an Amish unit or going to a domestic type with a compressor as I have a 2000 watt inverter already. What do you suggest or what have you changed to?
Old 05-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #44
CDS1
Established Member

M.O.C. #27770
I had a Norcold 1210 in my other unit. Doing the same thing yours does, freezer good, fridge warm. The only thing that worked was an aftermarket cooling unit with an extra fan. Take a look at jc-refrigeration.com. They have some videos on installation, the bad part is the cost.
CDS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #45
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
New member here and we are waiting on delivery so don't know much about RV fridges. It's been 30 years since we had a camper, that one had a 3-way fridge that worked fine.
Anyways, I ran across this guy with a 3120 and have been following his videos as our soon to be new trailer is a 3121. He recently posted this:

Thought it might be of interest. His video on his "one year evaluation" talks about the fridge problems as well.
Hope you get things sorted out.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:21 AM   #46
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Last year I installed 4 computer fans in the upper grill on the outside and one fan inside the fridge blowing on the coils. They are both switch controlled in my 1210 unit now cools nicely
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:27 AM   #47
Mroe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23577
Fridge Defender people say it's electrical noise from the gas ignitor and I should rewire it. I still don't think that will solve the cooling issue. So......... Who has switched to a standard compressor refrigerator and what one would work to replace my Norcold 2118?
Old 05-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #48
TWP723
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28111
I have a 3121RL and haven't had any issues with the fridge. Except for the clear nasty liquid that came out of the water dispenser. Still haven't tried the ice maker. As for the rear AC, ours won't blow cold on low. I think it may be a preventative setting from the manufacturer, not positive about that though. Works great on hi. From what I've learned and as mentioned earlier in this post, the ac should never be run on low. So if it works on High..I'm good with that.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:56 AM   #49
Mroe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23577
I'm going to give it one more chance. Upon recommendation from the fridge defender people, I've bought two additional fans for the condenser (back section) of the fridge to expel the heat. We'll see what that does.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:33 AM   #50
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe View Post
I'm going to give it one more chance. Upon recommendation from the fridge defender people, I've bought two additional fans for the condenser (back section) of the fridge to expel the heat. We'll see what that does.
You should also make sure that the fridge on the back side is sealed off from the cabinet. Generally it is packed full of insulation
Also check to make sure any required baffling is in place especially at the top. You can pull up refrigerator installation manuals online and it will show you these baffles and where they're supposed to be
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote