Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Another Holding tank failure

In our RV Park 3 sites over, they just repaired a kitchen galley tank in a '11 3402. While on the golf cart today, met a guy a couple streets over with a '14 and his grey tank broke while sitting still in the park.

It cracked the same place, on the rib on the bottom of the tank. I suggested he just put some eternalbond tank tape on it and forget it.

NO, I BOUGHT A NEW TRAILER AND KEYSTONE IS GOING TO FIX IT. I tried to explain they are going to put the same cheep ABS tank in and it will probably fail just like the original.

Nope, can not reason with him. So we have another happy Montana owner that wants Keystone fix his broke ABS tank and replace it with the same ABS tank, that we all know it is just a matter of time before the replacement fails.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
tank failure while standing still what a surprise and I thought I was doing something wrong after having 4 tanks fail while standing still....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is the story Both Keystone and any extended warranty company will only replace to OEM specs and better quality tank is on the owner. I do not have that kind of $$ to throw around so Keystone will replace these tanks till H^%$ freezes over.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
When replacing these tanks are any of you putting extra strapping under them to hold them up better? Just wondering!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
My two cents. My black tank ruptured at top rear seam. I know why but not telling. New tank installed so did my own leak checks in case CW did not. The tank swells on bottom when filled. I believe if you restrict this event it may be why some pop over time.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
My SOB Trailer tanks have straps on the bottom and still working 10 yrs. later.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Let me get this straight. Holding tanks fail because we cause them to hold to much so the solution is not to fill them up.. I am going have to let Keystone know about that as it will solve the failed tank problems. They can put a tag on each tank that says ....Do not fill holding tank.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Let me get this straight. Holding tanks fail because we cause them to hold to much so the solution is not to fill them up.. I am going have to let Keystone know about that as it will solve the failed tank problems. They can put a tag on each tank that says ....Do not fill holding tank.
One thing is for sure Rich, if they had such tags on their tanks you would have seen them by now. All of the tanks have a "capacity" sizing, it does not say anywhere they will actually hold that amount of liquid without failing. Keystone buys tanks from the lowest bidder, the tanks are poorly constructed and without support many are going to fail.

It is high time Keystone considered the considerable failure rate and either sought another supplier or properly supported the tanks which might mitigate most of the problems.

I am also sure that advise given on this forum to just fix it yourself is exactly what Keystone loves to hear, that means they don't have to deal with the problem in any way. We only hear about "some" of the problems that MOC members have, we have no idea how many thousands of tanks are failing that we never hear about, and unless you have a great dealer who really values your business and displays great after sales support you are unlikely to get "any" satisfaction from Keystone, unless of course you are prepared to go to the fall rally.

I have very little experience with other manufacturers customer service, however I can say my experience with Keystone has left a bad taste in my mouth, it does not diminish no matter the length of happy hour.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
FWIW, my neighbor at my home park just had her black tank fail in her well known and sought after SOB fulltime unit and another neighbor 3 lots down had his gray tank fail in yet another SOB mid price non keystone 5er. Neither of them move their rigs and neither neglect them or overfill. Not saying Keystone doesn't carry some blame but the tank manufacturers should be held to the fire as well.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Here is the story Both Keystone and any extended warranty company will only replace to OEM specs and better quality tank is on the owner. I do not have that kind of $$ to throw around so Keystone will replace these tanks till H^%$ freezes over.
Our extended warranty provider - Protective XtraRide - paid for a custom made replacement when our galley tank split. No argument. As fulltimers we explained we couldn't wait ? days or ? months for an OEM tank for our '06 3400RL. Get-Away RV (Abbotsford BC) did the work, we took the old tank to Wellington Plastics on a Friday afternoon and they had the replacement ready the following Wed. The guys at Wellington (when I delivered some thank you beers) told me the new tank would last longer than the trailer, I never asked what material they used. Of course, this is no help to those using the factory warranty. Keep making those claims and maybe one day Keystone will wake up and install better quality tanks and supports.
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:45 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Many brands use the same vendor as Keystone. We have toured that plant. A advantage of being able to go to the fall rally and living within 3 hours of Goshen is being able to tour vendor plants. Many brands do use strapping and support and the tanks are designed to do that.

the service Center/ dealer will only replace/repair to OEM standards anything above that is on you. Our extended warranty both the one we have now and the previous one will also PAY for OEM replacement/Repair and the additional cost is on you. Two tanks replaced at the dealer June , 2014 cost 1138.85 parts , labor, Tax. Cost to me was 200.00 ESP deductible.

One tank cost 133.63 the other 153.22 360.00 labor for each tank 360.00. we have two more tanks leaking now.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:39 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Rich what do you think causes these tanks to fail? I know you have seen enough to have an opinion. Is there something we can do to help prevent it from happening?
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:44 AM   #13
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
One only has to see how these tanks "grow" as they are filled and my belief that is part of the issue...the abs used is too thin...again my belief. Secondly, when you suspend that weight from the one inch wide flanges, which is also where the two parts of the tank meet, then it is easy for these joints to be stressed as they change shape. Given the large population of tanks...that are mostly used by weekenders traveling short distances...one can understand that fulltimers and those that use them continually for a few months are but a small part of that overall population......hence the smaller failure rates noted. John
Old 02-10-2015, 06:34 AM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Man I just do not get it, I have fulltimed for 4 years now in my 2012 and my 2015 and have traveled Many miles and never had a Problem with this,one thing I never do is travel with ANYTHING in the tanks But other than that when I am in one spot they get filled to the Max all the time ,So I don't know just lucky???
Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMO is a combination of defective tanks and improper installation. I think OZZ has the answer for the fix on the inlet. I don't know Bigskyjimmy uses his the same way I use mine and he has no failures while I can not keep tanks in this thing. All four of our tanks failed after sitting on our Florida site for two months never moving and being filled only prior to flushing the black tank. We flushed the black tank every 3 days so it never filled to capacity but it failed anyway.
he only tank that we know we filled to capacity was the galley tank a couple of times as the water would come up in the sink and it has failed twice.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My galley tank has sprung a new leak.. Somewhere mid tank I think, we are living on the road now, well in out Monte to be correct. In a CG in Flagstaff, so replacement will wait till we get back to home base.
I have heard that you need to get info off the tank you have, guess it is branded or has a tag somewhere under the trailer. I wild like to order the correct tank and do the change without this step if possible. I would think the tank info should be out there somewhere..
Any one changed theirs out DIY, don't want to farm it out.
I heard that a company in California has tanks and might be an outlet. I would hope to get a heavier tank, Rich, you pointed out that the tanks many get are the thin ones we don't want..
Any input??
Thanks folks.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ozz you can get better tanks if you google around you will find some manufacturers. they are not cheap. The tanks part # is on a tag on the tanks or on the tank itself in orange marker.If you give the service center your VIN they can also provide the part number.
Some dealers or repair facilities may get creative enough in their paperwork and reporting procedures to get the Extended warranty companies to pay for a better tank but many of them also know what the part numbers are and what they cost so they may not get away with it. All None OEM parts like flex tube on the input and bracing under the tank was on me. Keystone has started to put better one piece tanks in the Montana but we were told at the rally they were NOT interchangeable.

My latest black tank failure was my fault I filled it to capacity in fact it started to come up through the john. It did not just fail it exploded....boooom split all along the top were the two pieces are glued together. Lesson learned...pay attention to what you are doing and do not become distracted.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good info Rich, appreciate it.
As far as the oops.. We have All been there.
More than once...
Old 06-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is one place.......http://www.plasticwatertanks.com/c/c...tanks-for-sale
Old 06-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Rich, you wouldn't have the dimensions of your old '07 Galley tank in your paperwork would you?