Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Modifying Kitchen Counter top

If there is post already running on this, please direct me. I want to change out my kitchen faucet. However, the standard Monty faucet does not have 'normal' size kitchen hole. I need 2 pieces of advice:
1. How to safely make the faucet hole in the counter top bigger with out destroying the counter top or sink.
2. I am NOT a plumber. What the heck are those crazy attachments for the water lines? I do not know exactly what to ask for when I go the hardware store to make standard household faucet lines mate with the RV lines.
Thanks for the help.

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
First have you measured the holes? Because I haven't seen any posts about having to enlarge the holes. Most of the posts just said they got a Moen or Delta faucet that fit right in. The fittings should be standard on the supply ends. If all else fails take to old unit out and take it to the Hardware store and attempt to find an employee who knows what he is talking about. By the way, how is the AC?... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Been a while Tammy, since we did our kitchen faucet upgrade, but, we did not have to do any counter top cutting.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I have taken the old faucet out and tried to install the new one. The current faucet has 2 lines - hot and cold. The new one has 4 - hot, cold, combined, and spray. The new faucet is an all in one temp adjuster and spayer. My hole in the counter is just big enough for a typical spray handle - not a faucet. Also, I do not know how to connect the faucet water lines to the RV hot and cold - I need some plastic dealies to make it work that I am not familiar with.
Bernie
Old 06-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is odd, my faucet swapped and connected to the rv lines with no problems. It is a Pegasus with the removable spray similar to the OEM one. Maybe I just got lucky but here is what the final result looked like:

By the way, it less than $200 at Home Depot.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We purchased a new Moen faucet to install in the kitchen. I don't know what the deal is. Why is our hole a funky size? Oh, becuase nothing is standard on an RV. I forgot that for a minute!!! Where was my brain?!?! So, is there no one at all out there in the world of MOC who has ever had to drill into the countertop???? I want my new faucet installed.........
Thanks for helping Bernie on this. Right now he's installing the new circuit board on my washing machine.
Tammy
Old 06-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Icehouse

We purchased a new Moen faucet to install in the kitchen. I don't know what the deal is. Why is our hole a funky size? Oh, becuase nothing is standard on an RV. I forgot that for a minute!!! Where was my brain?!?! So, is there no one at all out there in the world of MOC who has ever had to drill into the countertop???? I want my new faucet installed.........
Thanks for helping Bernie on this. Right now he's installing the new circuit board on my washing machine.
Tammy
Tammy, there are standard faucets that will slide right in so this is a standard on Monty. It sound, from your description, as if you have a supper faucet and it would require drilling holes in most counters with standard faucets. Without seeing your new faucet I can not tell you what you need. I thought the plastic pipes fit onto the faucets or you get a jumper that matches with the plastic pipe and your faucet.
Sorry this does not help more.
Let us know what you find and how it comes out. Definate would like to see pictures of the project and when finished.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:24 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Tammy,
Bernie is just trying to get out of washing the dishes!

As John stated.
You need to get a "standard," faucet that has all the amenities that you want, and it should fit. There are super duper faucets that require cutting and I'm sure that is what you have picked up. Take a digital picture of the hole on the counter and go to a good hardware store (not Wally-world) and do a show and tell. Even bring the old faucet with you. Also, a plumbing supply house, or even a plumber, could help. It should not cost anything from the plumber to just ask a question. (You may or may not get an answer)

Edited: I would seriously consider replacing the faucet with one that fits the present configuration. Cutting or drilling new, or enlarging existing holes may restrict you in the future to one model faucet versus the vast availability of standard configuration plumbing.

I hat to do plumbing and will avoid it at all costs!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:21 AM   #9
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
I have not changed an RV faucet but will offer this advice. The Corian counter top will work with ordinary tool (drills, saws, etc.) Check underneath the sink to insure that where you need to drill doesn't hit or interfere with anything down there. Measure at least twice, mark carefully, work slowly and it will go well. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have added a faucet to my sink that is filtered drinking water I used a standard hole saw on a drill to cut a hole in the fiberglass counter top. when I changed the regular faucet it came w/templet in the box for how the holes went in new construction and the size of the holes needed.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote