Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
RV Insurance ?

I purchased a new 2005 Mountainneer Travel Trailer last January and parked it at my deer lease. I have it insured of course.

I also still have additional insurance on my 2001 Mobile Scout trailer parked in my driveway that is for sale. If the trailer is covered by homeowners Insurance while it is parked at the house and is covered by my Auto Insurance if I tow it, why do I need Insurance on that trailer ? I don't plan on using the Mobile Scout again and would not be leaving it parked anywhere not hooked to my truck.
Amy I right here about not needing Insurance ?

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:11 AM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
G McCall,

Talking to hubby, who is an insurance adjuster of 30 pluse years, I would really look closely at your homeowners policy to be sure that you would have coverage. Policies in Texas exclude trailers from comprehensive or collision coverage. I would cover you personal items in your trailer up to I believe 10 percent of your coverage on your home. It is called extended living coverage.

Each state has different types of policies. I would contact my agent that covers my home and verify that you have coverage. I would also have them show you where in your declarations and or your endorsments where that coverage is so you can read it for yourself.

If you have any other questions ask and I will try to help you.
Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
It is all personal choice, but I would think it is cheaper to pay the monthly insurance on the coach than it would be to pay for the enitre coach if something happened. Just my thinking...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I agree with Montana Sky. Why take chances. You may win, but chances are you'll lose in the long run.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We kept insurance on our previous camper till the day we signed over the title. In Ohio our camper is covered under our Homewoners Ins ..That works in this State.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Rich,

Are you saying that you have comprehensive and collision insurance on your fifth wheel in Ohio on your homeowners policy? Geesh, I wish my policy here would cover us. In Texas you do have liability insurance while pulling with your truck that extends to your RV. Our homeowners policy won't cover a boat or a trailer at all. If a hail storm comes through and destroys your roof on your Monty your insurance on your house will pay for the damage?

I guess that is why Bob told me that you should call your agent and ask where in your policy it covers your Monty. Each state has their own type of policy, with their own endorsments. Here in Texas you best not have any mold in your house, or a water loss as they will non renew you without blinking an eye. We had someone that lived in our local area that sued Farmers Insurance over a mold loss and they won. All of Texas is now paying for that juries verdict.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That's correct they treat the camper as if it were a house..which in reality it is..Tne endorsement is on Boat, Sports Vehicle, Camping and travel trailer Physical damage. The company is Frankenmuth out of Frankenmuth, Michigan
Old 05-28-2006, 05:30 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Mine is the same as Rich except not the same company, when conected to the TV I have Comp/Collision and when disconected it is covered by something like the homeowners policy but a seperate policy and number, the cost is about $238.00 per year and a $250.00 deductable. I have had 4 or 5 clames on this policy so far and have never been threntened with canselation.
we are happy with our policy.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:28 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ours is 50.00 more than TT2's but it is not a separate policy it is a endorsement on our homeowners policy and makes No differentiation between the two.We also have all our vehicle insurance with the same company.Think it has to be that way to get the policy???? It makes sense..the camper is not a vehicle..it is a house..
Old 05-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

That's correct they treat the camper as if it were a house..which in reality it is..Tne endorsement is on Boat, Sports Vehicle, Camping and travel trailer Physical damage. The company is Frankenmuth out of Frankenmuth, Michigan
I just switched my auto insurance 2 months ago to Frankenmuth, Rich.

When talking to my independent agent up here in Kalkaska, though, he mentioned that as a FTer, I will have to have a little more coverage than just my Auto coverage, which in Mich covers anything you are towing - boat, trailer, etc. When it is sitting, your homeowners is supposed to cover it. We, of course, will not have homeowners ins as we won't have a stick home...

It does sound like Frankenmuth is extremely competitive - saved me over $100/mo on 3 vehicles with full insurance. The test of course will be to see how efficiently they handle a claim...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:21 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our insurance, National Interstate, insured in Texas provides us with full coverage on both our TV and Montana. We have fulltimers insurance (100,000/300,000) with Medical Payments (5,000/person, 50,000/Accident). Our total premium is $1444/annually (RV-721, TV-723).

I guess if you have a stick house and are not full time, then your premiums are quite a bit lower than mine. I got the coverage I needed, or felt that I needed so that we don't have to be concerned if anything happens. But then, we have insurance and hope against hope that we never have to use it and the insurance companies can get rich.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had Frankenmuth for a number of years, A fellow Lion in our local club is the president of a independent insurance agency and when I asked him to find me the best auto/Rv Insurance hew could he came up with Frankenmuth..Their rates are competitive and much lower that The Hartford that we had through AARP...
Old 05-30-2006, 06:46 AM   #13
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I would call your agent.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I had mine covered under our auto/homeowners policy for awhile. I just changed this year b/c auto inusrance would only cover it 1 year for total replacement. So I went with RvExployer and took total replacement and awning coverage(no deductible for awning at $4.00 a year) It was the same price as w/my previous insurance only better coverage
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote