Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
HD Satellite receiver- now what?

Got the HD rcvr, got the Birdog meter. Works great. Now what to do? The old rcvr had 75 ohm in from the dish, and 75 ohm out to the TV. I could watch the same program in the LR or BR. The new HD rcvr has no 75 ohm output, so how do I get the rcvr output back into the RG6 cabling in the camper. With the HD rcvr, I have to connect directly to the TV, via HDMI, optical, or RCA. Any ideas????? Kerry

kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Wow, that sucks...no RF outta that fancy HD rcvr. Um, buy another one for the bedroom and send the 2nd LNB feed to it?
I'm still watching crummy DirecTV on a dual LNB round dish not sure I'd be wow'd for more than 5 minutes with HD feed. My kids may push me there in stick house someday but it ain't happened yet.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I'm assuming you have DTV? Because Dish does have a type F connector for the 2nd TV.

To get the TV signal back onto the 5er RG6, you could do a few things. The easiest would be to use a channel modulator:

http://www.channelplus.com/product_d...p?productId=98

Set the modulator to, say, channel 99 and then you can get cable, off-air and your DirecTV satellite.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Kerry, you need a RF modulator. You will not be able to get HD with it, only SD and in my experience the signal was not very good. I installed an additional receiver for the bedroom.
Bill
http://www.radioshack.com/sm-rf-modu...i-2103095.html
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Kerry, I have spent the last two days trying to get Sat signal through the rigs sorry ass RG-6 cabling system. Because of the routing and the multiple connectors and being routed through the antenna amplifier. I got the HD dish with the 5LNB head which has 4 leads and they go through a 6X8 switch. So you can actually feed 8 receivers. Anyway I pulled the fireplace and drilled 4 holes in order to be able to install 2 duplex coax outlets Here are some of the pics.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...MG_97772-1.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c.../IMG_97722.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c.../IMG_97832.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c.../IMG_97822.jpg
I routed the cable up to the upper cabinet to the DVR which takes two leads. The other two are for my Hughes internet leads. I have pulled the bottom drawer below the bedroom TV and will see about putting another lead through the curb side of the overhang. As far as using the rigs cabling, good luck. Spent the last two days fighting that fight. Checked all the cables and connectors with a meter and still can't find out why the signal won't reach the receiver. The routing through the side will be easier and probably cleaner than trying to figure out where the signal disappears... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Let me see if I can help. The signal from the sat dish requires a direct run without ant splitters. The connection from the outside sat/cable is a direct run to the connection in the TV cabinet with the short jumper. All the jumper does is connect ALL the inside RG6 cabling to the outside. The inside cabling is made up of several runs involving splitters. this works fine with cable signals or ant. signals. However, if the power booster is turned on for the ant. signal, it will block the cable signal. Now, back to satellite. To get a separate receiver in the bedroom, a direct run must be made from the dish to the bedroom. All the existing cable, except for the one run from the outside to the were the jumper is has splitters involved. (The new HD receiver looks like their forcing one to use a separate receiver for each TV) This is how I made the run to the bedroom. I mounted a second connection in the convenience center next to (above) the existing one. You will have to add two if you want to have a DVR receiver. I ran the cable along the top of the storage area, into the front storage area. Then, to get into the BR, follow the hydraulic lines up thru the floor. This comes out under the bed. Then I ran the cable along the floor and the wall (about a foot showing exposed) to the floor plate at the bottom of the sliding mirror doors. Tucked the cable under the plate over to the wall where the drawers are. drilled a hole thru the wall. and ran the cable up the inside of where the drawers are out thru the hole next to the power booster. Now you can hook up the second receiver on the shelf in the closet. Hope all this helps. If it doesn't, PM me with your number and I'll try to explain what I did a little better. Kerry
Old 11-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Hmmmm, if IIRC, the antenna booster will not pass the voltage needed for a satellite receiver(regardless if it is on or off). You can feed the signal from the entertainment center by tracing the coax that has the jumper (entertainment cabinet end)and removing the other end from the booster. Just add a wall outlet near the booster with that coax hooked to that outlet. I have a Dishpro LNBF, and that is the way it is feeding the bedroom receiver. This was a lot easier than pulling another coax to the bedroom TV. BTW, check the connectors on all the coax if you pull the booster. Mine were all the old crimped style and loose.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Dish works a little different than DTV. Also , the Big Sky has another splitter to an output in the under storage to hook up a TV outside on the door side. Kerry
Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kerry

Dish works a little different than DTV. Also , the Big Sky has another splitter to an output in the under storage to hook up a TV outside on the door side. Kerry
I believe both systems use about the same voltage to switch polarity (early on in the DBS era you could use one receiver on the other's dish), but the splitter might pose a problem. I thought about running coax to the basement while I had the belly open, but on second thought, there ain't no room for a TV down there. Had someone walk by once and say, "dang, y'all didn't leave anything at home did you"?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:00 AM   #10
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Kerry, Will is correct, you do not use that splitter going to the basement, disreguard it, if you want to use that connection in the basement you must use a RF modulator connected to the component cable connection on the receiver which will convert your signal to coax in SD only.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I just finished the bedroom cable run from the DTV dish to the receiver. I pulled the bottom drawer and measured about 42 inches forward from the side dresser, I reached in and drilled a 1/8 inch hole to make sure I was in the right spot. I was, so I went outside and used a 1/2 inch bit and drilled my final hole through the side of the rig. I ran the cable inside and up along the exterior wall between the drawer glides and the wall. I drilled another 1/2 inch hole in the floor of the TV cabinet and pulled the cable up through that. Then I just fed it through the grommeted hole into the closet, cut it to length and put on a new connector. Checked connections, ran setup on the bedroom receiver and it worked. I put the drawer back in then went out and put two strips of butyl tape on the back of the exterior cable receptacle. Drilled pilot holes and screwed it to the rig. The butyl tape keeps the connection waterproof and I will caulk around the receptacle when it cools down a bit tonight. The drawer slides were a three handed job to unlatch. the latch on the left side pulls up, on the right it is pushed down. Once I got all the parts together it took about 45 minutes to do. Will post photo links if needed... Dave and Betsy
Old 11-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Bill, you're right about the RF modulator and the HD receiver. If you connect to cable, or use a non-HD receiver, the splitter works fine. I have made a recommendation to Keystone to run a separate RG6 run to the bedroom for two separate receivers since HD receivers are starting to be used. Dave, what you did sounds like it will work fine. The reason I ran the cables the way I did was because some customers want to connect everything in the convenience center and don't want any extra holes in the outside. Today we installed a new Winegard HD satellite dome on a Big Sky. It requires an HD upgrade kit and the customer has to let the tech know ahead whether he or she has DTV or Dish. They have to be wired different and optioned different. Kerry
Old 11-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Kerry, a quick question, I saw you had a Birdog. Are you an installer or did you buy one for the DTV setup? I was going to buy one for setting up my Hughes system but didn't because money was tight at the time. I downloaded a software program from Datastorm users group forum. It is called PC-OPI. If I get the tripod leveled and use the software I don't even need a Bird dog meter. That also saved me 400+ dollars... Dave and Betsy
Old 11-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hmmm! I guess my Dish Network system is different. It is only 4 months old. I have two receivers here in the house. One is the Dish VTR722 and the other is, well, "the other." I'd have to get up out of the chair to look at the numbers - not. (Two receivers - four Televisions - all can independently watch different channels)

First, the VTR722 will take two satellite inputs. (sat1 and sat2) I have the King Dome on the 3400RL (Hanna), and it has two feed lines. (You only need one - really - if you have the right switches and splitters) I pull the VTR 722 from the family room here in the house and when I get to where I'm going I set it in the alcove above the TV. The VTR 722 has an output that is labled "To Distribution." On the wall in that alcove there are 3 F Jacks. One says "Cable/Satellite and the other two are jumpered. I remove the jumber from the top and run the "To Distribution to that F connector.

The VTR722 has a small RF antenna on the back and must be plugged in. I have two remotes. One for the VTR722, and one for the same satellite that I use on the back TV. In Dual mode I can watch any channel on either TV,or play back a program and record another. (VTR722 is a dual tuner, i guess)

I don't need any switches, splitters, jumpers, or anything else.

Isn't technology wonderful.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I do have another question though. I have difficulty with the King Dome finding the satellites. Any help there?

Semper Fi!
Old 11-22-2007, 03:37 AM   #16
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Waynem, we have not had good luck with the King Dome in our shop. Have had a hole lot better luck with the Winegard stuff. Kerry
Old 11-22-2007, 03:47 AM   #17
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Dave, no I'm not an installer, but I like things that make things easier. With the old round dish I could set up my dish with a ten cent compass, but the 5 LNB dish is a little more sensitive. I bought an Acutrac III meter, but it would find any thing (ghost satellites) I took it back and got the Birddog. It will find the exact Satellite you set it on real quick, plus you can download the satellites from the internet. A little more money, but faster and easy to use. Kerry
Old 11-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Kerry,
Not happy to hear that, but I can confirm. Last time out it took me 3 days to find the satellite. Now, I didn't spend the entire 3 days, but after many, many minutes each day I would get frustrated and just quit. On the 3rd day, viola, they just popped in. Thanks all.

Semper Fi!