Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #21
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Dish, with a Pathway X2, It finds the satellites for you, and has a bigger face, so it works great.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #22
Grzly03
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19585
Send a message via AIM to Grzly03 Send a message via MSN to Grzly03
I'll jump in right away to give my recommendation. In your responses you are going to see rvers who love DISH and hate DISH, same with DIRECT or whomever else. I am not a DISH lover. I believe their advertising is incomplete, and therefore misleading. They don't tell you everything you need to know, and therefore you may have problems unless you have an experienced satellite user standing by. Their customer service is great in being friendly and responsive, but only fair in technical expertise. There are at least 3 levels of customer service, and they get better as you move up, but the first level people are "script readers." When they get to the end of their script, if you problem isn't solved they just pass you on to the next level, and so on. Specific you might see: (1) When ever you turn on the antenna and receiver, you never know what you are going to get. The programming might be what you are paying for, most likely it will not be. (2) The wiring in your RV may have problems. Not connected here, wrong kind of splitter there, mislabeled somewhere else. (3) Service rep who answer the phone not knowledgeable about your problem. Many of their reps are off-shore and "only know the script."

Good luck!
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #23
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
I'll jump in right away to give my recommendation. In your responses you are going to see rvers who love DISH and hate DISH, same with DIRECT or whomever else. I am not a DISH lover. I believe their advertising is incomplete, and therefore misleading. They don't tell you everything you need to know, and therefore you may have problems unless you have an experienced satellite user standing by. Their customer service is great in being friendly and responsive, but only fair in technical expertise. There are at least 3 levels of customer service, and they get better as you move up, but the first level people are "script readers." When they get to the end of their script, if you problem isn't solved they just pass you on to the next level, and so on. Specific you might see: (1) When ever you turn on the antenna and receiver, you never know what you are going to get. The programming might be what you are paying for, most likely it will not be. (2) The wiring in your RV may have problems. Not connected here, wrong kind of splitter there, mislabeled somewhere else. (3) Service rep who answer the phone not knowledgeable about your problem. Many of their reps are off-shore and "only know the script."

Good luck!
This would just about apply to every service provider of any service in the US as well as a large swath of 5th wheel sold in the US. Almost all companies utilize a tiered approach to technical issues. RV coax wiring leaves a lot to be desired IMHO. I replaced every F connector in my rig when I purchased a Wiengard Travler. I was lucky enough that I could not find any evidence of staples being run through the RG-59/6 runs. The good news is the connections are very easy to replace and the tools are pretty inexpensive. In the end you should be able to get satellite service from your choice of provider. You will experience challenges with customer service at some point. Your rig may need some attention with regards to the wiring and or connections.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #24
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I agree with both of the last two comments. Biggest problem I have experienced over the years is the wiring in the RV. Once you get that connected correctly and the proper quality of splitters installed the dish seems to be no problem. I have had Dish for the last 4 years in the RV and have never had a problem with getting the wrong package of programs. I have struggles sometimes trying to get dish to switch me to the proper local programming but have always gotten it eventually. On shore service center is much better than the off shore centers but it is what it is!!
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Any sat system will work for you. We use directv because we have it at the house. We also have the Winegurd G2+.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #26
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post

Good luck!
You have to ask for outdoor techs, they handle the Dish pay as you go system.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:48 PM   #27
jhardenbrook
Established Member

M.O.C. #17143
Direct TV with WINEGARD dish on top.
We get NFL Sunday ticket. Don’t have to worry about somesone stealing sat receiver on top of rig and fully automatic. No hassle finding a sat. We are full time, so maybe dish would work for part timers.
jhardenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:00 AM   #28
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
We full time also and don't like the roof mounted system due to the trees blocking the sat system at times. Prefer the portable system which is also automatic and can be moved to where we need it. I guess one consideration is where you camp, desert or mountains. I often locate my sat on the roof if no tree blockage.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:13 PM   #29
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
We too have a Wineguard Travl'r roof mount. For more than one reason I (Mounted it with self tipping screws) to a two wheeled dolly. Works Great. I can put it to the front or rear or 100ft away. And if we trade our $2000. Wineguard Travl'r roof mount unit doesn't have to go. Nothing like pushing a button.
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:51 AM   #30
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryn View Post
We too have a Wineguard Travl'r roof mount. For more than one reason I (Mounted it with self tipping screws) to a two wheeled dolly. Works Great. I can put it to the front or rear or 100ft away. And if we trade our $2000. Wineguard Travl'r roof mount unit doesn't have to go. Nothing like pushing a button.
Great idea for those that have space to store it while traveling and I just happen to have the space. Just placed this idea on "my list".

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #31
331MONTHC
Established Member

M.O.C. #22819
Has anyone ordered a new Fifth wheel with a factory mounted satellite dish? If so, any issues?
331MONTHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #32
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by donc1212 View Post
Throwing a question out there for full time RVing. Wife and I are thinking satellite service for our travels. Looking for suggestions (and why)
Dish, with a Pathway X2 it's so easy. I don't own a satellite locator of any kind, just a compass have the rear pointing north, turn it on and it finds the satellites in no time. I like easy, so for me this doesn't get any easier.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #33
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
I’ve used the dish Tailgator for years, and it has been very dependable. For one or two nights I use the Dish Anywhere app and stream through my Iphone. This works just as well.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #34
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoung47 View Post
I’ve used the dish Tailgator for years, and it has been very dependable. For one or two nights I use the Dish Anywhere app and stream through my Iphone. This works just as well.
You mean with the APP you can watch without setting up your antenna???
Old 10-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #35
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Yes, I can watch on my phone or connect to my tv with a lightening/hdmi plug. We stream all the time like this when home or away. Usually we stream Netflix, because there isn’t a lot we watch with commercials. Of course, you must have an unlimited data cell plan, and good data speed at your location. About the only place we experience slow data is in our winter RV park, where we spend 3 months.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #36
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoung47 View Post
Yes, I can watch on my phone or connect to my tv with a lightening/hdmi plug. We stream all the time like this when home or away. Usually we stream Netflix, because there isn’t a lot we watch with commercials. Of course, you must have an unlimited data cell plan, and good data speed at your location. About the only place we experience slow data is in our winter RV park, where we spend 3 months.
Well we do the same thing with our I-Pad and a 20' HDMI cable. We sit in our recliners and operate the I-pad to stream movies from Net flix and Amazon Prime to our living room TV.
But what I was asking is, are you able to watch DISH TV from the app without putting out your satellite antenna??
Old 10-20-2018, 07:38 AM   #37
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
Well we do the same thing with our I-Pad and a 20' HDMI cable. We sit in our recliners and operate the I-pad to stream movies from Net flix and Amazon Prime to our living room TV.
But what I was asking is, are you able to watch DISH TV from the app without putting out your satellite antenna??
Yes. Using the Dish Anywhere app you can do this. It’s rather clunky, however. It starts up your home sat receiver and streams the program up, and then back down to your phone. You have to have a receiver at home. You also need lots of bandwidth at home. I believe Direct TV has a simpler method, but not sure.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #38
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Satellite service

We use Dish and have a Wyneguard X2 antenna
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #39
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
There is a 3rd service called SHAW from Canada. You can find providers in the US that will service this satellite.

Here is one service provider in USA. https://www.mazsatellite.com/
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #40
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We use a Travler for Dish, two Wallys, and both with DVR's. Lost the 211K receivers a couple years ago due to a voltage issue. Just within the last couple of weeks are having an issue with the Travler, sees the three satellites but can't get signal to the receivers. Called Winegard support, did the things they suggested to narrow down the problem, and it is inside the turret assembly. Options are to send the turret to Winegard for a $350 out of warranty rebuild with a 90 day warranty or replace with a new unit. Getting new one from Amazon on Friday and will swap units out, hopefully good for another 6 years. Even with this glitch, still very happy with the Travler and Dish for their service.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote