Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Shakedown

We picked up our new Mountaineer 328RLS Nov 19 and took it to Galveston Island about 340 miles from home over Thanksgiving weekend.
We absolutely love the coach. Our biggest problem was a slight leak under the bathroom sink. All I had to do was tighten the fitting. We set the smoke alarm off useing the oven for the first time cooking out turkey.
Before we left home, our area had a nasty storm, if a slide was going to leak this would have done it.
It towed like a dream extremely satisified with the powerstroke and my concern with only having a SRW is gone. I am glad I did not get a dually. I am getting about 11.8 MPG @ 70+ MPH. I was not wasting any time getting there.
We stayed at Delanara RV park. It has full hook up but a bit tight with the three slides.
We checked out the Galveston Island State Park while we were there. It is on the beach with spacious parking just no sewer hook up. It just has a dump station. I think we will stay there next time.

But after hearing all the posts of problems we were very relieved all worked beyond expectation first trip out.
We love our Mountaineer!!!!

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
GLAD to see everything went well for you. May you have many more great trips in your Montana.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Great news. America is your playground, go out and have fun.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:24 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great!!! Glad you had fun. We were down the coast a bit a Quintana County Park. Check it out sometime. Cheers.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 01:11 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Congratulations, neighbor! Glad it went so well. Many happy trails!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:08 AM   #6
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Happy to hear everything went so well. It is always great to hear good news. Continue to enjoy your Mountaineer!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:57 AM   #7
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
Were glad everything went well with your first trip. We also agree with your favorite quote 100%.
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:32 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's good to hear, trukdoc. I'm glad you had an enjoyable trip and no serious problems.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:01 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We are happy that you enjoyed your new Montana. I am glad that you only had a minor issue with the trailer. I agree on the towing after moving up from a TT. We wish you many more happy trips.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:51 PM   #10
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Biggest problem we had is that we did not want to come home!
Old 12-02-2004, 02:48 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tukdoc, what did you think of that new Tow Command brake controller?
Old 12-04-2004, 02:00 PM   #12
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

We picked up our new Mountaineer 328RLS Nov 19 and took it to Galveston Island about 340 miles from home over Thanksgiving weekend.
We absolutely love the coach. Our biggest problem was a slight leak under the bathroom sink. All I had to do was tighten the fitting. We set the smoke alarm off useing the oven for the first time cooking out turkey.
Before we left home, our area had a nasty storm, if a slide was going to leak this would have done it.
It towed like a dream extremely satisified with the powerstroke and my concern with only having a SRW is gone. I am glad I did not get a dually. I am getting about 11.8 MPG @ 70+ MPH. I was not wasting any time getting there.
We stayed at Delanara RV park. It has full hook up but a bit tight with the three slides.
We checked out the Galveston Island State Park while we were there. It is on the beach with spacious parking just no sewer hook up. It just has a dump station. I think we will stay there next time.

But after hearing all the posts of problems we were very relieved all worked beyond expectation first trip out.
We love our Mountaineer!!!!
Well trukdoc it sounds like you guys had a great maiden voyage. I am sure you will have many happy miles ahead. How did the truck do with the brake controller?? Also, glad to see someone from East Texas. I get home to Texarkana as often as I can.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:55 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
trukdoc,
Glad all went well and you enjoyed your trip.... only suggestion I have is to slow down and smell the roses! And remember that the main problem with pulling a trailer is NOT pulling the trailer but STOPPING it.

QUOTE from trukdoc:
"I am getting about 11.8 MPG @ 70+ MPH. I was not wasting any time getting there."

These are great rigs and they do handle well.... even at high speeds... Don't ask me how I know! LOL.... I've since slowed down and really do enjoy the smelling of the roses much more. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:44 AM   #14
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Admittedly I do not have a lot of experiance with brake controllers. Most of my towing has been done with big trucks with air brakes all the way back.
But what towing I have done, I was very aware I had a trailer back there. When I hit the brakes the trailer would bump the truck. And adjusting either made it to soft or too strong and end up dragging the tires. I just got to the point I was glad I had brakes.
With the tow command I knew if the brake circut was good as soon as I hooked it up. The controller automatically comes on and shows the level it is set at. The braking was so smooth I could not feel the trailer. I cut the controller back just to see what happened. It really is working. But extremely smooth operating.
With motion controllers it has to sense slowing down. With the tow command it works through the antilock computer if I understand it right. It knows the instant I start braking and sends a signal to the trailer. I do not feel it at all. Needless to say I think it is a good investment. At $350 I thought it was a bit steep but I am glad I had it added. It is not part of the tow package. You must specify for it to be added. I give it two thumbs up! lol.

Rick.

Old 12-05-2004, 05:56 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rick, we haven't towed with ours yet and I know I'll have to travel a ways before I can find a good place to experiment with controller settins. Would you mind telling me what gain setting you are using? That might be a good place for me to start with ours.

Ford must have figured the $350 would seem a little bit high. The brochure says the Tow Command System includes both the brake controller and the telescoping mirrors. Without the package apparently the mirrors don't telescope. On our '03 F350 the telescoping mirrors were part of the tow package. So don't you feel better now that you got both for only $350? I, too, am glad we got the Tow Command System even though we've not used the controller yet.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:08 AM   #16
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Steve, I still have truck envy with all you guys getting new TV's. Hope they give many miles good service.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote