Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
Montana_3046
Established Member

M.O.C. #3046
Newbee says hello

Hi all,
Well I'm signed in and need all sorts of info from all you veterans.

I have lived in NY for 30+ years and I'm thinking of becoming a "Turtle" (turtles travel with their houses)

Would love to spend 6+ months a year traveling and have narrowed my new home down to the Montana.

So if all of you can bear with me....(all my question) I would really appreciate it.

IN return, if you need help with your family tree...let me know. I'm a real junkie when it comes to that subject.

Montana_3046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
A big Welcome to the MOC Family to Mike's-Lady from Lorraine's Man.

A "Turtle" you say? Not heard that one before.

So if all of you can bear with me....(all my question) I would really appreciate it.
Well fire away, we are ready for anything you can throw at us.

I luv trees especially apple, in fact I am eating an apple right now. Also luv peach tre..........OH!!! "family" tree. Never mind.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Montana_3046
Established Member

M.O.C. #3046
A "Turtle" you say? Not heard that one before.

I luv trees especially apple, in fact I am eating an apple right now. Also luv peach tre..........OH!!! "family" tree. Never mind.
~~~~~~~~~~
Lorraine...I was driving from Denver to Vegas last spring. I heard over the CB an Eastbound trucker Say "guys becarefull when your going down hill on this side, we have a "Turtle" over here. Well never hearing that term, I asked what a "Turtle" was....his reply..."a big *** Trailer" Sure enough when I got over the crest going downhill there was a 35 footer easing gently down the mountain
Carolyn
Mikes-Lady

Family trees don't have any particular flavor, unless you spill something on them.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Caroolyn (& Mike too)
Welcome to the MOC forum. As you will hear from the members here...you can't go wrong with a Montana. We have had our unit almost 2 years, but just started traveling long term in September of 2004. We will all be waiting for your questions. You will find many great folks here who are willing to help you out in any way we can. So as Glenn says..."fire away".
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome, Carolyn. You've come to the right place! Don't even hesitate to ask questions. You'll find a lot of helpful people here. And in this forum there is no such thing as a dumb question. If there were, I'd be king of dumb. Well, maybe I am anyhow.

I like the turtle reference but suspect from the explanation that trucker had some additional attributes in mind that were not exactly kind, such as sloooow, like in slowing him down...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
Montana_3046
Established Member

M.O.C. #3046
OK...here is my first question/statement what ever you want to call it.

I am over 60 (boo)
I will be traveling alone (except when Mike stops into visit)

I will be traveling between Libraries (I'm a genealogy junkie) It's concivable that I could be parked near the VA State Archives for a month. Salt Lake City 1-2 months.......get the idea....I HAVE to find when my family immigrated to this contentent before I die! I have them back to 1635 & 1673 in VA.

I have been told by a dealer in Coloado that "I will NEVER be able to handle a rig over 30ft. I had no problem with a 22ft but I didn't pull that sucker all over the place. I can't back up for spit, but I will have to practice.

I will be residing in this rig full time for 5-7 months a year.
I'm willing to reduce my expectations and go for a smaller unit, however I really NEED one creature comfort, a washer & dryer.

Give me all your thoughts...I welcome all comments.
Carolyn
Old 02-02-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Carolyn ... First of all, Welcome! As everyone has already told you, you should be able to get all your questions answered here ... without anyone giving you a hard time!

Next ... the dealer in Colorado is a male chauvinist pig (do they still say that anymore?). GypsySCM is a single lady who full-times in a 3670 ... one of the longest unit Montana makes ... over 36ft. I think she's still in Quartzite and isn't online a lot right now, but you really must contact her for advice/sympathy/helpful hints.

Finally ... I'm with you ... I may live in a relatively small area (we have the 3295), but I was insistant on maintaining certain creature comforts too. We have a washer and dryer AND I have a dishwasher as well ... he's about 5'10-1/2" with lots of gray hair and a mustache.

For what it's worth ... I am in awe of you (and all the other single ladies) who adopt the RV lifestyle on your own. You go girl!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
Montana_2182

M.O.C. #2182

Welcome Carolyn...I agree with Vicki, I'm a lady trucker...we've just got to show them that we're as good at handling these trailers as they are. Just a little practice and you'll be alright. I also would like to go to Salt Lake City and see what I can dig up on my family. I've dabbled a little but I've run into a dead end on anymore info. As for being 60, that's still young! You've come to the right place for finding answers for all of your Montana questions. Everyone here is so helpful and so nice. I'm glad I found them. Anyway like Vicki said "you go girl!"

Montana_2182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Just because I am an agitator, I can think about all kinds of things to make you [s]ladies[/s] women mad. But I am going to stifle myself. My Dianna can run our 3670 RL down the road just fine. She is sixty-five, has arthritis and osteoporosis. It doesn't stop her.

We have a rule that both of us have to practice setting up and breaking down without the others help. It is a pain in the aft section, but we do it. We have check lists to help accomplish this. Most of the time, I do the outside and she does the inside. But just in case either of us get thumped, we practice.

Her car is a little Honda Civic. She has a very short adjustment period when she takes over the F250. Maybe about a block. I think the longer units are easier to back than the shorter rigs. If you have been handling a smaller rig, the transition should be a cake walk. Go ahead --- embark on the great adventure.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Mikes-Lady,
Welcome to the MOC gang. First it sounds like you have made up your mind and that is great.
I agree with the above. You will need to practice and yes you need to back up better than going forward especially by yourself. My first recommendation is to get the unit in a big empty parking lot and practice putting in spots. First pull into them and then back into them. As your starting to do these actions stop every few feet and look at your truck, trailer, tire placement and back-end trailer swing. You control them all and they do things your do not realize. The three magic words are "Practice", yes "Practice" and of course more "Practice". Since your going to run solo I would suggest a back up camera to help. It is not an end all but it does help.

Some place I saw a suggestion to use a white 3/8" to 1/2" rope to help guide you into a parking spot. You lay the rope out on the inside of your turn and keep your trailer tires just inside the rope. That keeps you on track and helps protect your blind side. Of course when you lay the rope out you need to make sure there is enough room on the blind side. Yes I had to say it. Sorry my training. Nothing is assumed. You check twice, measure three times and cut once.

Make sure you tow vehicle can handle the trailer you buy and is comfortable since it will be your Cadillac when parked.

Good luck on your research.

Ask all the questions you want and be ready for all the answers. There is a wealth of knowledge out here.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:46 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome, Carolyn. As you have read, there are a lot of enthusiastic and helpful Montana owners on this forum, ready and willing to share ideas with you. It sounds like you're ready to start a great adventure. Enjoy. You've picked the right brand to start your travels.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:24 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Welcome, Carolyn, and "more power to you" in terms of your goals. We have chosen the Montana 2955RL because we do not wish to tow and handle a longer trailer. We are not full timers, but feel that we could comfortably live in our Montana if we ever did become full timers. Glenn and Lorrainne, who are among the most active participants in this forum are full timers who chose the 2955RL. We still feel we have made the right choice after more than two years and more than 15,000 miles.

And, best wishes in your search for family history. Most of my family origins in America go back to colonial Virginia. Let me know which family names you are researching. (you can go to my profile and use email or private message)
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:32 AM   #13
Montana_3046
Established Member

M.O.C. #3046
Finally ... I'm with you ... I may live in a relatively small area (we have the 3295), but I was insistant on maintaining certain creature comforts too. We have a washer and dryer AND I have a dishwasher as well ... he's about 5'10-1/2" with lots of gray hair and a mustache.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Vicki...how long did it take you to "install" your dishwasher.
I have a prospect that is 6'0" (which is taller) also with gray hair, but no mustache. Does the mustache have any effect on the effeciency of the unit? I think I'll teach outside window washing as the first course.

I can't thank ALL OF YOU FOLKS for being so sweet & informative.
I was trying to find a RV College...Looks like I have enrolled here.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:40 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi again, Carolyn.

I agree with the others that you will do just fine. There's no reason in the world why you can't handle a trailer of any length. At our September rally I saw Sharon (GypsySCM) pull in and park her 3670. Any idea that a woman is less capable than a man at towing and parking these things is pure bunk in my opinion.

As the others said, practice is the key. You should expect that at first you will do terrible. That's normal. And that's how you learn. Just go very very slow when backing and make very small corrections. Move the steering wheel just a little and see how that affects the trailer. You can always add more steering wheel or less if needed.

When I back up I put my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Then I just move the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction I want the back of the trailer to go.

When going forward, go farther into the intersection before you start your turn. Etc.

Practice is really the key but understand that even with years of experience you will occasionally screw it up when backing up. At least I do. Then you just pull forward and start over. No big deal. Same when going forward. Sometimes you'll pull the wheels over a curb. Just go very slowly when that is happening and you can't back up and start over. We've all done it and we'll all do it again.

Most of all, relax and have fun. That's what it is all about. And don't hesitate to ask more questions.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:48 AM   #15
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I have one of those dishwashers too but he has not turned grey yet!

Welcome and hope you make the choice that suits you and the way you plan to travel. We love our 2955RL.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:51 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carolyn, your reply to vickir came in while I was composing my post so I'll add a little something here.

Vicki's husband has always been an eager, willing helper. She is very fortunate to have him. All women should be so fortunate. She "installed" him 34 years ago this coming Saturday and immediately began her project of improving the product, fine tuning and honing to perfection. I believe she has reached her goal, although she might not agree. Women always seem to want a little more, ya know!

The mustache is intended more as a lip tickler, a snack catcher, and provides a little excitment when trimmed and those little hairs seem to go everywhere. Vicki was not at all happy about it when it was first started but it's been there for 26 years and she has commented she'd like it to stay around.

Welcome to MOC. Hope you enjoy it and find it very useful for you. There are others heavily into geneaology here as well. I haven't done much in that direction but those in my family who have have taken us back into the 1300's. Many of those who immigrated to this country settled in eastern Pennsylvania, many around Riegelsville.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #17
Montana_3046
Established Member

M.O.C. #3046
There are others heavily into geneaology here as well. I haven't done much in that direction but those in my family who have have taken us back into the 1300's. Many of those who immigrated to this country settled in eastern Pennsylvania, many around Riegelsville.
~~~~~~~~~~~
My, My, My...are you suggesting we should have a rally in Salt Lake City? I just LOVE the Family History Library.

That could really be a great time!!
Carolyn
Old 02-03-2005, 07:08 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Not only is Vicki's dishwasher very efficient, he's quite proud of himself. Cute, Steve. May all husbands be so helpful. I am also blessed. Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:54 AM   #19
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
The "Legend's" eyes are brown too!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote