Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Freedom2017

M.O.C. #20957
Electrical issues

Hello everyone, I have a question. We purchased a 2017 Montana 3921 FB in July of 2017. We now have had to replace the batteries twice since that time. I was reading up on the on board charging and discovered that it is not a smart charger. it's an IOTA, someone mentioned that you can purchase an IQ4 to convert the on board charger to a "Smart Charger" is this so???? , note we keep our RV plugged into a 50 amp service even when it is parked at home.

Thanks in advance for your help

Freedom2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Montana discontinued the use of an IOTA converter around 2009. You definitely do not have one. More likely you a Progressive type converter which is a smart charger.

As to why the batteries are failing I am baffled. What type of batteries are you using?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I am wondering if you are thinking your battery needs to be replaced because it is not holding a charge.

It could be you are not disconnecting the battery while in storage. Just turning the key in the convience center is not enough.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Freedom2017

M.O.C. #20957
Thanks Everyone I am replacing them with the same as when we bought the RV new "Interstate RV / Marine " deep cycle, 650 CCA 140 res, as far as the disconect it is turned in the "Off" position while stored at home. yet I did notice that line leads to the camper yet, there is another line that leads to the Hydraulic system. I noticed on Saturday as I walked by the camper it smelled of rotten eggs, ( Sulfating) when I checked the batteries one cell on one battery was almost completely dry, the other battery tested perfect.... I am not happy with the local Holiday World Service department where we bought the rv, So I try to avoid them as much as possible.. Any Help is greatly appreciated....
Freedom2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The only way to completely disconnect the batteries is to physically remove the cable or have a batter disconnect installed at the batteries yourself. The battery disconnect switch in the convienence center doesn't cut power to many things like the propane detector for instance. These phantom draws will kill your batteries in several days and once they are reduced to 0 they are done for good.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The inside door flap on the circuit breaker/fuse panel will tell you what the manufacturer of the converter is as well as the model number. I would expect it to be a progressive dynamics 4590. My rv only came with one group 24 interstate deep cycle and it started to show high water use on two cells. I have since switched to a group 31 agm battery and will install another since I have upgraded to a residential fridge.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you keep your rig plugged in while parked at home, DO NOT turn your battery switch off. You are effectively removing the batteries from the charger with the switch off, and that is why your batteries are failing. We full time, and except while moving, we are plugged in all the time, and the batteries have never been a problem.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote