Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Draw under couch

Whose drawer under the couch fell apart? Ours did last summer, very cheaply made with el-crapo materials. I have put the frame of it back together firmly along with the front appolstered piece. I hope this weekend to cut a 1/4" piece of plywood to fit in the bottom using L brackets and braces.

All we had in the drawer was the central vacuum hoses.

The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Twice I have had problems with the drawer in my 2008 Big sky. The rails fell apart, the drawer itself. First time I went to a furniture refurbishing company and bought and installed some new rails that were supposed to be better.

After two years and some trips where the drawer came out en-route, bending and destroying the rails, the second time I not just went to Lowe's and found 100# rated rails and replaced them.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
The drawer is a piece of junk. Ours fell apart too. The drawer guides broke and one corner split apart. The material is not well made.
I bought the strongest guides/rollers I could get at Lowes and used glue and brackets to put it back together. It also won't latch closed.
We only store the central vac attachments and two fleece blankets in it.
I think rebuilding the whole thing with plywood would help it stay together but I have not gotten to it yet.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
ours is in pieces also, I haven't gone after it yet but the pieces were staples and pressed board. Probily will use the old pieces as patern for plywood
mike
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We use a tie down strap with one "eye" behind the couch and the other "eye" on the underside of the drawer in the middle. We Tie the chairs back-to-back, so had "eyes" and straps we could move without further investment. Works really well unless you forget to strap it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
Same here, the 'latch' was busted very early on and the rails are under-rated. The 100# rails fron the Depot fit the length, but I had to drill a couple of new holes to fit them up. No biggie, a couple of hours and it was repaired. over two years on the new rails and the drawer still works fine. We do keep it heavily loaded too. We swapped the sofa and chair sides so the tie down hooks and straps serve to keep the drawer closed while on the road. For the record, after 3 1/2 years full timing it that sofa proves its lack of quality overall. It will be repaced this summer.
sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We decided not to mess with it and just took that couch out altogether.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick
We decided not to mess with it and just took that couch out altogether.
We're going to do the same. Although we have not had a problem with the drawer at all, the couch simply isn't comfortable to sit on. Needs more seat room back to front which isn't possible due to the weird design of it. We'll replace it with a reclining loveseat.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That was our issue also. We wanted the space, but the thing wasn't comfortable anyway. Also the reason we replace the rocker, recliners. No way they were meant for me to fit in.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Ours is fine...no issues.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote