Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Upgrading Satellite dish?

We have the Wineguard Dome satellite dish automatic one button set-up, but it is not HD. Can you upgrade them to HD, or do you have to buy a whole new unit?
Also, are the new televisions and our folding antennas compatible with the local digital TV broadcasts?
We are changing out the '07 televisions with new flat screens.
Thanks, have been out of touch with this stuff.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ozz,
You didn't say of you use Dish or Directv and I think it makes a difference. If you go to Winegard.com they may have some answers to your question (if you haven't done this already). The regular Winegard antennas work just fine for the new digital signals.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Bingo, just returned from the site. Looks like I need to spend another $1500 for the Wineguard Trav'ler Edit: (Not 1000, The 3005.)
Does it ever stop? (Oh, Direct TV)

TRAV'LER DIRECTV Slimline KU/KA
For maximum DIRECTV HD programming, the DIRECTV Slimline KU/KA is recommended. This five satellite reflector dish provides complete coverage of all standard and high definition programming channels. The Slimline KU/KA is capable of receiving both KU band (101°, 110°, 119°) and KA band (99° and 103°) satellite signals.

With many more satellites and much more programming available, satellite TV viewing is changing. The Winegard TRAV’LER automatic multi-satellite viewing antennas offer the best performance in the market. Ever wonder why you don’t see dome satellite antennas on homes? The simple answer is they don’t meet performance specifications and requirements for DISH Network or DIRECTV. Technologically, with the new TRAV’LER automatic multi-satellite antenna series, RVers can now get all the same great advantages of the latest home satellite systems with NO extra switches, HD converters, etc.

TRAV’LER antennas are built on a completely re-engineered mechanical platform for a rigid reliable mount. This provides a stable base for uninterrupted signal acquisition and allows the dish to endure strong winds and withstand adverse weather conditions.

TRAV’LER automatic multi-satellite antennas are superior to domes and other satellite antennas because they are manufactured with approved and certified DISH Network and DIRECTV reflector antennas. This means they have the highest gain for maximum signal strength. TRAV’LER antennas are able to view up to 5 satellites at the same time, offering the most complete and comprehensive standard and HD satellite viewing experience available in the RV market. No more hassling with toggling/moving between satellites. This gives RVers the ability to view separate programs located on different satellites at the same time from one antenna, just like home. With one button operation, they are compatible with all receivers, including DVRs (supports multiple receiver configurations). No extra accessories needed for HD. Compatible on all RVs. Low travel height - 10".

Depending on your satellite provider preference (DISH Network or DIRECTV) and the level of programming you desire (standard satellite or HDTV), there are 3 models available to choose from; DISH 1000, DIRECTV Triple LNB and DIRECTV Slimline KU/KA. All TRAV’LER antennas are for stationary use only.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I think for the Directv HD signal the only choice you have is the Slim-line Travler (the 3005 model not the 1000). That is the one that I have, there are several that support Dish HD but only one for Directv.
Break out the wallet. And we absolutely love ours. I wish I had two HD receivers, but we just use a regular one for the bedroom tv. Too cheap to get another one.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, you are right, I copied the info on the 3005, but referred to the 1000.
The cheapest price I found was $1379, list is $1899.99
Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ozz, you will most likely have to refit with the new slimline system. It is much bigger than the dome system and nearly the size of the Motosat system for the Hughes. That is why I am sticking with my tripod system. I already have the slimline dish and I took the 3 sat LNB instead of the 5 sat LND. The three sat is fine for all of north America and most of Canada and Mexico. The 5 LND will get you international channels but since I have no interest in those I have the three sat unit. The 3 sat unit is much smaller than the 5 also, and easier to stow for me. I had looked at and tried the SWM (single wire modem) system but it was a major pain in the butt to work with even with the correct drivers in my BirdDog meter. Good luck with the automatic system, they work great when on a clear site. They can be problematic when a wooded site.... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Ozz, I highly recommend the installation of the heavy duty mounting plate for the TravLer. Provide a more secure mounting for that big dish and also provides a surface for the dish's roller to prevent contact with the roof. If you do upgrade, make sure it's done by a Winegard certified tech. Many CWs sell them, but in my case their techs hadn't been to the Winegard school. So I went with a local RV Service Center who's tech were trained by Winegard. Really love ours, pricey yes, but what isn't.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, it looks like I might be able to upgrade my Movin view dish.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rade-kit/36116
I will call Winegard Monday and get the details.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Ozz, did you read the last two sentences:
"Compatible with KU-band satellites only."

"Not compatible with KA-band satellites (99° and 103°) for DIRECTV HD programming."

Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ozz,
Copied from your link:

Not compatible with KA-band satellites (99° and 103°) for DIRECTV HD programming. Sorry

Bingo

Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
ahh, there is always a catch isn't there? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We had a Trav'ler dish installed last Sept. and we are very pleased with it. It is for a Canadian Satellite and we came home with it we got a better signal with it than our home dish. I know it it is a pain when you already have bought a system but I am sure if you get it you will be very pleased with this system. I have had it pick up a signal through trees which I could never get with other dishes.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OZZ, We went to the HD DVR (with the Traveler HD Direct TV Dish), this last year and had to run another cable from the dish to the receiver, also ran a non-DVR HD Receiver in the bedroom, of which we had to run an additional cable also. We had the work done in Bandera, TX. All is great now. The DVR is the way to go, recording shows and then watching them and being able to fast forward thru the commercials is JOB 1.. We also carry a portable 5 LNB dish for when we are in the trees. I just run the cables thru a window when we use it. We love the Traveler Auto dish.........One button is my kind of setup....Others have different opinions, but living full time in our rig is somewhat different from travelling long time. .
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Does anyone use the Winegard Domed Movin view automatic one-button? Does it work OK now, just no HD?
I don't know if I can go back after having HD.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I thought I saw a single LNB Slimline dish at the Q rally as being the latest with a single lead for Directv.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ozz, I have been told the only system that will work on both Direct and Dish is the Moto Sat HD model. You can change the LNB and it will work. If you buy a travler for Dish and want to change to direct it will not work and you will have to purchase a new unit. You might want to look into that.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I need to talk with Winegard, I would think, (Hope) I would not have to abandon my 4 year old unit because of the HD but it looks that way.
Dennis, I don't care about Dish, we have always been with Direct TV and are happy with them on the road. We actually have switched to ATT-Uverse here at home, we love it, but won't be dragging a connection cable on the road
Which Dome do you have, and how does it work, do you have H.D.?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don't quote me, but most of what I have come to understand is that you cannot get HD with a dome antenna with DirectTV. Just a lot of what I have read on other forums.

Personally, if the LNB can receive the satellite that is delivering the HD, then it should work.

I got tired of trying to set up a tripod, and I did not want to add height to my RV (SOB), so I purchased the Winegard Carry Out. I'm with DISH, and it picks up all 3 satellites. It comes programmed for Direct TV but there are a set of DIP switches to set it for DISH or BellView. For an overnighter I don't use it, but for a couple days or longer it is easy to set up. Run the cables, hook it up, turn it on and push the button(s) inside at the TV.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #19
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
My 2 cents! If you are full time and the Telly is your primary entertainment, then don't spare the expense. A lazy part timer like me who just wants to see a few Cardinal baseball games while on the road, I chose a Winegard Roadtrip SD. Turn it on and if it finds the satellite fine, if not I drag out the cheap carry out and entertain myself finding the satellite signal. We learned to not park with trees blocking the southern sky, not always possible.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good advice Mike. Sue and I just bought a nice LED TV for the Super-slide and a good Sony flat screen LCD for the bedroom, so I am preparing for the road. We really enjoy the Boob-tube.