Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Slide Topper Installation

I think we have decided these are a good idea. I have an installation question. Do they slide into your existing gutters? I have gutters over all the slides except the bedroom. Not sure why there is not one there. Looks like an easy install if you use the existing gutters! All the install videos I found start with whatever attaches the topper to the trailer wall in place.

Anybody put a gutter over the bedroom? Whats involved in that. Obviously a generous amount of sealer but do they need to anchor to studs or is the wall by itself OK?

mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
I installed four slide toppers on our 2010 Mountaineer. It would be nice if Montana incorporated slide topper attachments into the gutter, but, unfortunately, they don't. When you get your toppers, they will include the upper rail. I installed mine directly under the gutter in a letter "P" configuration. That put the top of the topper as high as possible (within specs.) to allow for proper water drainage. The only thing I had to do was temporarily remove the end spout (one screw) to allow sliding the topper into the rail.
The upper rail nor the topper attachments to the slide need a stud. The screws just screw into the fiberglass and the wood behind it. You will see that the many rail screws that come with the topper are only abut 1/2" long. It's not a bad job, just be careful to follow directions. I installed mine by myself, if you have help it will be even easier (depending on who your help is ) Good Luck
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Thanks. I guess I should have known it was not going to be that easy
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Same here as bobsals did...

no gutter over bedroom slide...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
While on this subject, can anyone tell me if there is an adjustment for the slide toppers? I have a 2010 3400RL, and even when I know I'm perfectly level, the slide topper over the sofa and dinette catches water. This one seems to have a slight sag to it. Is there any adjustment that can be made to tighten it up? The other three slide toppers on the driver side never catch water.
Thanks for any help...Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
ONERUNNING, There is no adjustment to increase the tension. The way it is done is similar to a window shade. You need to open the slide a foot or so, INSTALL LOCKING PINS IN BOTH SIDES!!!. This locks the springs so they will not knock you off the ladder!. Once the pins are installed, detach the bars on each end,(you will probably have to drill out a rivet or two)then roll the topper up a revolution. Bring in your slide so you can re-attach the topper to the slide. Once the topper is re-attached, remove the pins. I had to do this on my old unit. The pins in each end are a must, they keep the spring in check so you have control over the operation. The pins are cotter pins about 1/8th" X 3" I'm not absolutely sure about the size as I discarded mine after instalation.(Dumb on my part). I'm sure a phone call to Dometic would result in the correct pins being specified.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
When I installed my Carefree toppers, It seemed that you adjusted them by puting an extra on the spring.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote