Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
cem

M.O.C. #9807
Converter Box

Having trouble with 12 volt lights dimming. Think it is the converter box not charging 12 volt battery. Converter box is working, I checked it. Battery is a new marine battery so that isn't the problem....Have any ideas or similiar problems????

cem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Have you ACTUALLY had the new battery load tested. Sounds like if the converter is doing it's job, as you say, then the battery must not be holding a charge. I would take the battery to a REAL battery shop and have it tested......If it checks out ok then it would have to be the converter..........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I'd suspect the converter box before the battery, unless the battery is drawing a LOT of current, or you've got significant dc loads (much less likely), or the battery clamps or connections aren't tight.

How did you check the converter? Are you plugged into shore power when the lights dim?

Have you checked the clamps on the battery to make sure they're tight? If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage across the battery terminals, and then across the clamps. If they aren't the same, tighten the clamps.

Check the ground from the battery to the frame, too. I found that loose when I first got the Montana.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm not trying to sound stupid, but sometimes we miss obvious stuff. When you said you checked the converter, it you do so with the battery disconnected? If you don't disconnect the battery, there's no way to tell if you are reading converter voltage or battery voltage. If the converter isn't working, check the circuit breaker in the trailer breaker box. Next, as suggested, have the battery load tested. Marine batteries can sit on the dealer's shelf for long time before someone buys them.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
You should refrain from posting the same problem in multiple areas, as it makes it difficult to know or remember who posted what.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
This topic is being locked. To respond to topic please see identical posting under the Repairs and Service area.

Thank you.
RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote