Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
Replacing carpet

Well after owning our 2001 3670RL for a couple years, the nasty carpet is finally getting the best of us. When we originally looked at this unit the carpet was a big drawback, it was definitely shot. We are in the process of looking into replacing the old well worn out original carpet.

I have a few questions for the well versed folks who have replaced their carpet. What kind of carpet did you install? We are looking into replacing all of the carpet including the bedroom. How difficult is it to recarpet under the bed slide? Would it be easier to disassemble part of the bed frame? What kind of padding did you use? I understand the factory padding may not be the best choice. How did you reattach the carpet under the slides? Specifically under the roadside slide.

We had a carpet installer friend take a look at it and he said we would need approximately 12'X32' of carpet. Does this sound right? Sounds short to me considering the unit is just shy of 37' overall. He gave us a guesstimate of about $300 to install. We plan on talking to some other installers as well.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rescue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If he measured, he probably is right. Do you have a wall-to-wall closet? Do you have a rear window entertainment system? Those type things will eat some floor space.

Personally, if we ever have to replace our carpet we will go back in with hardwood floors. Easier to maintain than carpet.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Some parts of your Montana are no more than eight feet wide (carpeted area) even with the slides open. The "waste" is probably going to be used in other locations, like on the stairs or other areas in the rig. I'd bet his estimate is good. We're going to need to recarpet ours one of these days so I'm watching this thread closely.

One thing I'd think you'd want to be careful about is that an upgraded pad is not too thick to allow the slides to be moved without problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
I just pulled a portion of my carpet up in the living area and am happy with the linoleum that was underneath.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 AM   #5
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
The carpet in our 3500RL was replaced under warranty. We paid a bit extra to get a better grade than what Keystone would allow under warranty. We chose a Frieze, sort of a light beige with darker "specks". I've got the brand and color somewhere if anyone is interested. I think the original pad was used, as we didn't want to take a chance on creating a problem with the slides. The dealer removed all furniture and completely disassembled the bed to remove it. The closet door track also has to come out to prevent a splice there. The dresser was also removed. I insisted that they call me for a look see before any of the furniture went back in so I could check the installers work. We're very happy with what the finished product.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sandy, who installed yours?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Steve, if you're waiting for Sandy to reply, it may be awhile. It appears Sandy is a Pomeranian.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oops, good catch, VanMan! (Thanks)

I'll rephrase--- Dickie n' Kay, who installed your carpet? The dealer or a third party?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Third party. The dealer has a carpet guy that they use for all carpet related work.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks. We may replace our carpet one of these days and I was curious whether dealers have the expertise. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
How hard is it to install hardwood floors? Is there a "slide problem" when using 3/8" wood?
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
The longer I look at this light colored carpet the more I want to check into the wood flooring if I keep the trailer. I have always wondered why they would put light beige carpet in an RV most people take to the lake(dirt magnet).
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We looked at Traffic Master vinyl strips at Home Depot. It overlaps on the edges (pre-glued), and requires no underlayment. I think this will be our choice for the living, dining, and kitchen area. Should be very low maintenance. Seems they have 3 or 4 different colors.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:51 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

We looked at Traffic Master vinyl strips at Home Depot. It overlaps on the edges (pre-glued), and requires no underlayment. I think this will be our choice for the living, dining, and kitchen area. Should be very low maintenance. Seems they have 3 or 4 different colors.
We just recently saw a 3400 that had been decorated with this overlapping vinyl strips. It looked just like wood. The owner said it took him longer to tear out the old carpet than it did to lay it down on the floor.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #15
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
We've got a side isle bath so the day we got it home I tore out carpet and installed 7mm veneer wood flooring at the entrance and upstarirs to the edge of the bedroom and then cut oak stair treads and stained them to match, it was rather inexpensive, I think Ive got around $100 in that area, Looks like a $300K home and is easy to take care of, especially since the route to the bathroom gets the most traffic.. DW wants me to do the kitchen with it now too.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #16
Doug and Anita
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3321
We are replacing our carpet with a product called "Allure". It is a very tough vinyl that looks very much like wood. It goes down in strips just like wood and is sealed in the seams. It is scratch resistant, waterproof and easy to clean. It comes in several colors and is available at Home Depot in our area. We are fulltimers in a 3295RK and the cost will be about $1,000 installed. It should not interfere with the slides even though Keystone does not recommend anything other than carpet. However, our installer has done dozens of trailers in the "Allure" and has never had a problem with the slides in the Montana. He loves installing this product and highly recommends it. Good Luck!
Doug and Anita is offline   Reply With Quote