Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
extra outside outlets

I know Ive seen it before on this forum (with pics), but I can't find it. I'd like to add an outlet in the curb side basement and also an outside one on the step frame. I'd really like to know where you tap into the system and how to run the wiring. Thanks...BR

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
BR - You must have just missed getting the outlet on your 07. Ours had one from the factory - (01/11/07 date).

Anyway - if you want to do it the way the factory did, they installed a piece of laminated board across the aluminum floor joists (basement ceiling) and cut in an outlet. The power feed comes from the rearward basement wall where it feeds up the interior wall between the hall and W/D closet then into the main electrical panel above the john (big empty space above the W/D ceiling). I haven't verified for sure, but it may be part of the GFI by the sink - lost track of the wiring after that.

I also saw a post with a weatherproof electrical box installed at the step housing, but I don't remember from who either. If you can get the wiring over by the W/D drain that sticks down through the belly you are almost there as far as getting up the wall to the electrical panel above the W/D.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good instructions Brad. I have a waterproof outlet up by the kingpin, check my Ozz's Mods, I have some pictures of my added outlets.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

This is what I did, added one new circuit breaker for the outlet in the basement and then it goes to the outside outlet. The outlet in the basement is for our air compressor and walkie talkies.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

BR - You must have just missed getting the outlet on your 07. Ours had one from the factory - (01/11/07 date).

Anyway - if you want to do it the way the factory did, they installed a piece of laminated board across the aluminum floor joists (basement ceiling) and cut in an outlet. The power feed comes from the rearward basement wall where it feeds up the interior wall between the hall and W/D closet then into the main electrical panel above the john (big empty space above the W/D ceiling). I haven't verified for sure, but it may be part of the GFI by the sink - lost track of the wiring after that.

I also saw a post with a weatherproof electrical box installed at the step housing, but I don't remember from who either. If you can get the wiring over by the W/D drain that sticks down through the belly you are almost there as far as getting up the wall to the electrical panel above the W/D.
Brad, that would be me!!!
rubble express Brad is right about on how to do the wiring..http://picasaweb.google.com/oldguard1/OurImprovements
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

The Oldguard

We were looking at your improvements and noticed the (Cabinet in John) where did you find it, and did it come in the right width?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
There it is - Thanks OldGuard. I knew I was admiring that outlet on the stairs somewhere, as I am still thinking about doing that.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CRUZIN 2

The Oldguard

We were looking at your improvements and noticed the (Cabinet in John) where did you find it, and did it come in the right width?
Cruzin 2, got it at "Home Depot" and mounted it over panel just cut out the back to fit around it.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CRUZIN 2

The Oldguard

Cruzin 2, got it at "Home Depot" and mounted it over panel just cut out the back to fit around it.
Thanks for the reply on the Cabinet, we'll have to check it out when we get down to McAllen TX.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
I wasn't sure about cutting a hole in the side of the Monty, so I went a different way. I drilled a hole in the ledge of the basement to accommodate a piece of 1 1/2 PVC. I put a threaded male connector on the bottom that I screw a cap on when not in use. Right above the pipe in the basement I installed a duplex outlet. When set up, I use a short extension cord with a 3 outlet head on the end to plug my wife's little table lamp into. I also mounted a timer for my patio lights and plug it into the other side of the receptacle.

The wife wanted a nite light in the john, so I tapped off the switch on the wall by the lavatory, fished it down the wall and put an outlet down low. It was real easy to go from that outlet to the basement receptacle. The nite lite only draws 7w and the lights in the bedroom are seldom used.

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/PA250214.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/PA250204.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/PA250205.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/PA250206.jpg
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote