Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2017, 06:43 AM   #401
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
If you read back through this thread, I've not bashed Keystone, only reported what was actually happening. Once, I got really ticked and said I was through dealing with them, but they finally finished "part" of what they said they would do. The nose hasn't flexed yet, but it's only been towed around 125 miles while loaded. However, they've been unable to be contacted again since I emailed them last. They have even dodged the dealer's calls.

As far as the reference to a "good dealer", we have been thoroughly happy with ours, and our only other two dealers within 175 miles are Camping World and RVWorld of Georgia which was bought out by Camping World back in November. As of last week, to get the AC unit looked at, there is a 3 1/2 week appointment time with a turnaround of up to 5 weeks. Our son is out of school for the summer for only 7 weeks. No thank you.

I started this as to report not only the problem with the unit, but the response I got from the manufacturer. As of now part of it is still unresolved. I apologize if this "train wreck" as it has been described, bothers you. I've always been one for full disclosure to warn others and seek other's advice. That's what I've been doing.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #402
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Rich I agree.
And
If Montana Keystone would improve quality, service and customer service we wouldn't be hearing about comparisons between other brands and Montana.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #403
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The suggestion was to maybe start a new thread since this one is now 21 pages long and can be hard to follow. I am sure others would like to see the final outcome.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #404
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Late today I received an email stating that they had approved my warranty extension until 9/26/17...which is 4 months from now. The email totally ignored the problems caused by the driver and even said they had never had any problem with a transport driver before, however did mention the toll charge and said they would pay it if I sent them the fine. Absolutely no mention of the why the rear bumper was replaced either. So, I called the dealer to see how to go about the damage to the paint on the nose and the rear hitch and my call wasn't returned after they were going to call Montana. It was late in the day, so I'll talk to them tomorrow. I was advised if I needed work done to have the dealer contact them for approval that I would have the paperwork in about two weeks. So, the "extended warranty" covers only the time the unit was out of service at the collision center and back at the factory, not the other 2.5 months at the dealer while they were arguing over who was responsible for the air, them or Dometic.
Listening to you guys it is apparent that I should have bought a Montana years ago as the quality was much better. Unless things change drastically, I've owned my last Montana. But as long as they stay "#1 in sales", why would they want to.
Along the same lines, a buddy of mine in Michigan has turned his into his dealer as his is five months older than mine with the same flex in the side. Montana has denied his warranty as of now stating that the 1/2" flex in the side is within spec, even though it breaks the caulking every time the unit is picked up. So he and his wife are in a hotel in Michigan waiting to hear something as other avenues are being sought. I believe his is about to get ugly.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #405
brad2388
Established Member

M.O.C. #20265
Who did you speak with to get ur camper repaired?

I have a 2017 alpine thats doing the exact same thing!
Ill upload my video today as well.

What ended up being done?

We bought our camper in march so our warranty is still in. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
Late today I received an email stating that they had approved my warranty extension until 9/26/17...which is 4 months from now. The email totally ignored the problems caused by the driver and even said they had never had any problem with a transport driver before, however did mention the toll charge and said they would pay it if I sent them the fine. Absolutely no mention of the why the rear bumper was replaced either. So, I called the dealer to see how to go about the damage to the paint on the nose and the rear hitch and my call wasn't returned after they were going to call Montana. It was late in the day, so I'll talk to them tomorrow. I was advised if I needed work done to have the dealer contact them for approval that I would have the paperwork in about two weeks. So, the "extended warranty" covers only the time the unit was out of service at the collision center and back at the factory, not the other 2.5 months at the dealer while they were arguing over who was responsible for the air, them or Dometic.
Listening to you guys it is apparent that I should have bought a Montana years ago as the quality was much better. Unless things change drastically, I've owned my last Montana. But as long as they stay "#1 in sales", why would they want to.
Along the same lines, a buddy of mine in Michigan has turned his into his dealer as his is five months older than mine with the same flex in the side. Montana has denied his warranty as of now stating that the 1/2" flex in the side is within spec, even though it breaks the caulking every time the unit is picked up. So he and his wife are in a hotel in Michigan waiting to hear something as other avenues are being sought. I believe his is about to get ugly.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:18 PM   #406
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Who did you speak with to get ur camper repaired?

I have a 2017 alpine thats doing the exact same thing!
Ill upload my video today as well.

What ended up being done?

We bought our camper in march so our warranty is still in. Thanks for the help!
Back in post numbers 332-339 you can see what was done. I ended up having Shelly Zartman at Montana, she is an upper manager, after being tired of not getting any info from the floor manager. I am warning you, unless your dealer can undertake this and get it repaired, be in for a long and bothersome WAIT if it has to go back to the factory. They will not update you, call you or even try to give you a deadline as to when it will be back. Ours was gone nine weeks and the only reason we got it back then was due to an agreement with them that we made in NOVEMBER prior to it leaving in February. We had a special trip planned for over a year and it got back to us 3 days prior to leaving. It was a rush job getting packed for the trip, but we made it.
Take it to the dealer first though as Montana will NOT talk to you in the beginning. It has to be documented through a dealer first.
Good luck buddy.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #407
brad2388
Established Member

M.O.C. #20265
well I have sent an email to the generic keystone website and also one to to lippert as well. I'm for sure know this will be a easy blow off so I figured id ask you if u had a contact.

I do have a alpine and I know its different but its still a keystone on the same frame.

do u have Shelly number or email u can share? maybe I can get with her and get back to a alpine Upper manager. I will link back to this post and show them what they did for you as mine is doing the EXACT same thing. in the EXACT same spot.

Quote:
Back in post numbers 332-339 you can see what was done. I ended up having Shelly Zartman at Montana, she is an upper manager, after being tired of not getting any info from the floor manager. I am warning you, unless your dealer can undertake this and get it repaired, be in for a long and bothersome WAIT if it has to go back to the factory. They will not update you, call you or even try to give you a deadline as to when it will be back. Ours was gone nine weeks and the only reason we got it back then was due to an agreement with them that we made in NOVEMBER prior to it leaving in February. We had a special trip planned for over a year and it got back to us 3 days prior to leaving. It was a rush job getting packed for the trip, but we made it.
Take it to the dealer first though as Montana will NOT talk to you in the beginning. It has to be documented through a dealer first.
Good luck buddy.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:55 PM   #408
brad2388
Established Member

M.O.C. #20265
Btw here he a video of our camper and what it is doing.

https://youtu.be/KXMKHhQO4nA
Old 07-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #409
brad2388
Established Member

M.O.C. #20265
Do u have any pics of the repair of this?

Quote:
I spoke with the service rep that has my case this morning. The cause of the flex has been found. It was a frame weld under the nose(above the generator) of the camper as most of us had thought. The weld was being rewelded and plated today. Also, there are three 'tubes' in the nose of the camper that are aluminum, but are supposed to have wood stuff the entire length of the tube to give the bolts something to adhere to. Two of the tubes(these help support the nose of the unit) had no wood in them and allowed more flex in the nose and pulled out bolts. That is also being repaired. I specifically asked this morning was the broken weld on the Lippert frame and was told yes. I've been told that I will receive pics of before and after the repairs are made. They are also trying to get the unit back to us before the week of 4/10. I will update as I know anything else.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #410
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Do u have any pics of the repair of this?
In post 317 you can see the tubes looking towards the camera are NOT filled with woods which provides the aluminum with strength, kind of like a lam-bea when bolted. In post 332 you can see the wood has been put in and then you can also see the gussets and plates used to reinforce the aluminum where it was stressed and broken.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:46 PM   #411
brad2388
Established Member

M.O.C. #20265
Thanks! I wasnt sure where the weld was done at. Is that on the bottom steel looking up or is that on the sidewall with the outer skin removed?

Quote:
In post 317 you can see the tubes looking towards the camera are NOT filled with woods which provides the aluminum with strength, kind of like a lam-bea when bolted. In post 332 you can see the wood has been put in and then you can also see the gussets and plates used to reinforce the aluminum where it was stressed and broken.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #412
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Sidewall with the fiberglass removed.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #413
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Telling you they have never had a problem with a transporter has got to be complete BS. We've come back from Goshen in the middle of the night several times and I've seen Montana's hauled over large curbs, drug thru ditches and run down the road at 80mph.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #414
brad2388
Established Member

M.O.C. #20265
Wow.

If it was as easy as sending it to them and fxixing it im game but seems like alot of trouble to get it in the line.

Ill get with my dealer tomorrow as well and see what they can do to help.

Probly nothing since camping world bought them out

Quote:
Sidewall with the fiberglass removed.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:16 AM   #415
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Telling you they have never had a problem with a transporter has got to be complete BS. We've come back from Goshen in the middle of the night several times and I've seen Montana's hauled over large curbs, drug thru ditches and run down the road at 80mph.
I literally laughed out loud when they said that..
Old 07-31-2017, 05:46 AM   #416
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
as was suggested earlier, this thread has run it's course and needs to be locked by the website. just saying.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #417
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Btw here he a video of our camper and what it is doing.

https://youtu.be/KXMKHhQO4nA
Its hard to tell from the video, but it looks like your frame is flexing less than an 1/8th in.

Lippert has a lipsheet on how to measure frame flex, hooked and unhooked, but if memory serves me the tolerance was closer to a half in. you seem to be well within tolerance.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #418
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rwPK2UwWBZLg8Q

link to lipsheet
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #419
brad2388
Established Member

M.O.C. #20265
Yea i believe this is a keystone problem not a lippert like orginally thought.

I do believe mine is missing the wood in the aluminum beams.

I have only pulled this camper 4 trips and its already broke the caulk on the joint but i have a service dept. appointment friday so they can check it out to see what they think.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #420
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Well, there are two more that have just joined the same club as I. More pics will be forth coming I'm sure, but other models than mine are now having the same problem. This is a 2016 3711FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20163711FL.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	438