Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OK-- here's another one!

I was reading somewhere about winterizing the H2O heater. I don't remember where I read it but it said to put some RV antifreeze into the water heater via the bypass valve when winterizing the rig. It stated that there is always about an inch of water left in the water heater and that needs to have some anti-freeze added to it. I have never heard of this and from what I've done from experience and picked up from the forum that is not needed. I frankly don't agree with this but what's your take on this? Inquiring minds need to know!!!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Rondo, I agree with you, there is only a tiny bit of water in the bottom and that leaves plenty of room for expansion and I have had several RVs and done the same to winterize them. None had a "bypass" for the water heater. I just shut off the power to the water heater, drained it and blown out the lines. When I finally started to use RV antifreeze I filled the lines with it and disconnected the feed to the water heater. Never blew a tank doing it that way. and I doubt that the hot water heater bypass would allow any antifreeze into the tank...Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
It got 30 below a few times last year where I live. I had no problems with the water heater, and I did not use any anti-freeze.
boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ron, I believe as long as you drain the w/h, you don't need to add the anti-freeze stuff. At least, I haven't for the last 14 years! Maybe I've been lucky?
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have always read and been told do not put antifreeze in hot water tank
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ron, if the line going to the water heater and the fresh water tank does not drain complete you could freeze and burst a line. i run the pink stuff until it runs out the hot water tank and the fresh water tank. I also hook up a drill pump and connect it to the black water flush and run some so there is no water caught in the check valve up behind the shower. I did a post a few years back titled "Are you really winterized" It shows many lines that do not get any pink stuff when you do the normal procedure.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

There is a bit of water left in the water heater or at least in the one I have. I don’t normally place anti-freeze in it but I hook up the shop-vac and with a small tube try and suck all of the remaining water out of it that I can. I haven’t had any problems.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

I have always read and been told do not put antifreeze in hot water tank

Where have you guys been I haven’t seen that signature in a long time?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:56 AM   #9
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Twenty two years ago when we purchased our first rv, I attended a winterizing class. The way they explained it was the design of the hot water tank is cylindrical. As such, the drain can't be on the very bottom and some water remains. Normally this isn't a problem, the residual water freezes, expands, and moves up the sides of the tank.

They said an older tank could have some pitting and could restrict the upward movement of that ice causing the tank to rupture.

For this reason, after I drain the tank,and blow out my lines, I add about 1/2 gal of antifreeze to the tank. I then switch the bypas lever and fill all water lines with antifreeze. (Don't forget to blow out the black water flush as it's not connected to the fresh water system)

I realize others will consider this not necessary, but to me, the cost involved is not worth replacing the hot water tank.

Rich

04 GMC 2500HD D/A, 04 2955RL, 16K Pullrite Superglide, and Sasha the spoiled mini schnauzer

PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I haven't winterized in a few years but back when I did, I just drained the water heater and that's it. I always read that the remainder is not enough to cause a problem. Problems occur when water expands as it freezes. That little in the water heater has plenty of room into which to expand. Everyone should do what makes them comfortable but I see no reason to do anything with the water heater other than to remove the plug, drain it. I always left it open for the winter, storing the plug/anode rod in a locker.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i donot put the antifreeze in because if you drink the water you can still taste the antifreeze even after rinseing with vinegars two or three times
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I drain mine and its done. Last winter we had a week below freezing no problems. We have been below zero. No problems in all my 5 years of owning a rv
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote