Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
DVD Player

My 06 2955rl has a DVD/surround sound system QR2000. I think it's made by Toshiba? It will no longer load a DVD or CD. I went to Wallyworld & bought a new DVD player. Our original TV has the colored wires to hook it up. The new DVD player only has an HDMI connector. Also the surround sound speakers are hard wired to the existing DVD player, the new one has no connections for speakers. Am I stuck with buying a new flat screen TV to make it all work?

daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
I replaced my QR2000 with a Phillips BluRay/surround system that I got on WalMart.Com. (refurb unit for about $150) The QR2000 had colored plugs that corresponded to the appropriate speaker throughout my Montana (2008 3400 RL). I simply cut the wires going to each speaker and spliced the new plugs onto those wires. I plugged it in and it works wonderfully. The only problem was the speakers in the bedroom did not have connections on the new unit. I just left them. I am currently planning an A-B-C switch so I can actually use those bedroom speakers when I play music.
Rob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The dvd player only outputs video and audio that is encoded on the disc that you play. There is no amplifier inside. It will feed that data to a tv that has hdmi (high definition media interface) input. The small home theater systems that are installed in montanas are a combination of amplifier, radio, dvd player, cd player in one box. They feed standard dvd quality video or hd video when the system has a blue ray player included in place of the lesser quality player...with 5.1 dolby sound being decoded and sent to the 5 speakers plus the low frequency bass speaker. If the old home theater system in your unit doesn't have an hdmi input to plug in the new player you bought to get around the bad dvd player...then it won't work in your fiver. Sounds like it may be time to invest in a new high definition tv as well as a new home theater system. John
Old 12-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
What you need is generally called a home theater system. Includes DVD player, surround sound speaker outputs, and usually at least FM radio. A basic DVD player does not have outputs to drive surround sound speakers.

I had that same no name system and it died years ago. Replaced it with a Blu-ray home theater system since we already had some Blu-ray DVDs.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Thanks for the information, now I have a much better idea of what to do.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The home theater systems also come with new speakers.

With your floor plan I think you may have the same problem I faced, specifically a fairly small slot in the cabinet where the box fit. And speakers mounted in the cabinet above the TV. I measured my opening for the box and the speaker size and went to Best Buy. They had several models of home theater systems from different manufacturers. I bought one small enough to fit in the opening. And that had speakers as close to the size of the originals as I could find. Unfortunately even those were slightly larger and I had to enlarge the openings a little to fit them in. Also had to get new ceiling mounts for the rear speakers. I suppose I could have used the existing speakers but chose to use the new ones and they do sound better.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote