Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
fuel additives

I bought thee popular brand, can't think of it now, that some recommended from Walmart, and sells the one that my Ford dealership recommended and sells. Been checking it regularly and I get no additional mileage out of it.
Today I saw one, can't find it now, that you buy in truck stops. What is the advantage of using it over not. And what was the name if someone remembers the recent post.
Thank you.
CRS is bold here in my house.

PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I use NO additives. Never did, Never will.

You'll spend big bucks for an insignificant improvement. I'll get many more miles on my fuel by putting my bucks into fuel and not waste it on additives.
Always keep in mind, those so called experts that recommend additives also sell additives such as that Ford dealer you mentioned.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PowellsMonty

I bought thee popular brand, can't think of it now, that some recommended from Walmart, and sells the one that my Ford dealership recommended and sells. Been checking it regularly and I get no additional mileage out of it.
Today I saw one, can't find it now, that you buy in truck stops. What is the advantage of using it over not. And what was the name if someone remembers the recent post.
Thank you.
CRS is bold here in my house.
You may be thinking of Lucas Fuel Treatment. I'm one of those who uses an additive -- not in ever tank full, but in every third or fourth. It takes 3 oz. per 10 gallons of fuel. Everyone has their own preference and should be respected for that.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Gee, I wish Glenn would clarify his position (tongue in cheek). However, I respectfully disagree about their value. I do use the Ford product on the off-the-record recommendation of my Ford mechanic. He gets no commission off what I buy.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I use additive with centane boost, have had several mechanics recommed using it as well as cummins (mine is an 2001) I also get about 2 mpg boost in fuel economy while towing. Do what makes you feel good, but don't throw rocks at folks that do what is right for them.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I used to run GM's diesel fuel conditioner until I found more folks are running PowerService. I have been running that for the past 34,000 miles and will continue using the conditioner as long as I have the original 500 PPM diesel engine.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
With my 98.5 Dodge I used two cycle oil with most fillups. With the added emmisions equipment I won't be doing that with the current truck.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Go to dieselplace.com use there search ^ enter lubricity addtive study results
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been using power service with centane boost since day one. It was recommended by our dealer. It is recommended that the centane rating for these new diesels is 45 or better.Most diesel fuel is @ 40. Premium diesel fuel such as shell and others is rated at 45. There is no doubt what-so-ever that we get better MPG when using Centane boster and the diesel runs better. Only using the additive or any additive on a regular bassis will show results. It does no good to use it every 4th or 5th tank of fuel. Do not expect a improvement in MPG by adding it to your tank with a fillup the first time. you need to purge the tank of non treated fuel then look for any improvement. It may take a couple of fillups.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We do not run with any additives in our diesels and has not been recommended by our local Ford Dealership here at home. One of the older 1996 7.3 diesel has 540,000 kms with no engine problems whatsoever and just good overall maint. We do believe in buying quailty fuels in bulk that have a high volume of movement, specifically from summer temps to winter temps where there can be a high delta seasonal temperature of 70 degrees C or more. In other words we refuse to fuel up at the small petro stations.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob

Go to dieselplace.com use there search ^ enter lubricity addtive study results
No search function available unless you are a registered member. Please post the results.

I use 16oz of PowerService & 8oz of Marvel Mystery Oil on every 35 gallon fill-up. The amount of additives vary depending on how empty the tank is of course, so if the tank is 1/2 full, it's 8oz of PS & 4oz of MMO, ...1/4 full tank gets 12oz of PS & 6oz of MMO, and so on. Do I get better mileage? Who knows, ....if I was overly concerned about that, I probably wouldn't be hauling a 15k pound 5er around the country! What I do know is, the truck runs quieter, less smoke, and I won't have to replace the lift pump somewhere in the middle of a trip due to no lubrication in the fuel. At least that's the plan anyway.

Threads about what fuel additives to use, what oil works best, blah..blah..blah, etc., etc., never get anywhere productive. They always seem to just turn into pi**ing matches. There's a boatload of different kinds of additives (Stanadyne, Power Service, Lucas, Star*Tron, Amsoil, just to name a few) , try some different things, and use what works best for you and your situation. Quantitative results are practically impossible to document because of so many variables. Did you have a tailwind or a headwind(wind speed? ..or was it a crosswind?!), uphill or downhill(what was the grade and what was the ratio between them and the flats?), full holding tanks or empty, do you do hand calculations, or do you believe the Lie-o-meter on the the digital overhead readout, and so on, and so on.....

Do what ever makes you feel good.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Well said KTManiac; but excellent for discussion and at the minumum we have the freedom to make a choice. Additive Companies make millions of dollars on us with tactics that simply lay a guilt trip on the concept "that your engine/ powertrain will fail, or fail early if you don't use our product". Diesel in itself has some of the best lubricity qualities for cylinder walls, rings, lift pumps and injector parts. I think we all agree; that each and every one of us will have different methods of how we drive, what we drive and how and what products we use to keep that TV running and as long as possible with no down time. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did mention that the centane booster was recommended for the NEWER ford trucks by our local dealer. Ours being a 08 is a NEWER Ford truck. The dealer never mentioned the need for the OLDER Ford trucks. The NEWER Trucks use the ULSD. The OLDER trucks use the LSD. If you have a older truck, pre 2007 or 2007.5 you do not use ULSD and the trucks run fine on 40 centane fuel and LSD. Since Ford recommended the additive for the NEWER, as in 08 Ford truck, we do use it.

Interesting reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number
Old 07-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
One additive that I use is by LUCAS and call BIO-MEDIC. It is used to kill algae in the fuel. It dose NOT give me better mileage or MPG but dose save me 400+ on a new rail pump. With the econ today the fuel dealers are not taking care of their tanks and that is where the algae comes from. Glen you will know when you get some,believe me been there,done that. You might want to add some of that additive.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is some good information on Algae in Diesel fuel..There is so much to learn.

"Algae, microbes, and water contamination
There has been much discussion, as well as misunderstanding, of algae in diesel fuel.[17] Algae require sunlight to live and grow. As there is no sunlight in a closed fuel tank, no algae can survive. However, some microbes can survive and feed on the diesel fuel.

These microbes form a colony that lives at the interface of fuel and water. They grow quite rapidly in warmer temperature. They can even grow in cold weather when fuel tank heaters are installed. Parts of the colony can break off and clog the fuel lines and fuel filters.

It is possible to either kill this growth with a beside treatment, or eliminate the water, a necessary component of microbial life. There is a number of besides on the market, which must be handled very carefully. If a beside is used, it must be added every time a tank is refilled until the problem is fully resolved.

Besides attack the cell wall of microbes resulting in lases, the death of a cell by bursting. The dead cells then gather on the bottom of the fuel tanks and form a sludge, filter clogging will continue after beside treatment until the sludge abates.

Given the right conditions, microbes will repopulate the tanks, and re-treatment with besides will be necessary. With repetitive beside treatments, microbes can form resistance to a particular brand. Trying another brand with a different antibiotic may resolve the problem."

Note..This is why water in diesel fuel is not a good thing as these microbes need water to survive.Most if not all of the additives have water inhibitors.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:43 AM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I use Diesel Kleen in the cooler months just because of water in the Fuel, and it can be found at any Wally World. I have a (pre-owned Truck 2006) don't have to worry about idle time and it has a huge water seperator that does help in keeping the water out. Most all the additives on the market are about the same. Go into any major Truck stop and see whats on the shelves. Most Truck manufactors recomend what ever they sell. I have found the best thing to do about fuel is buy were they sell many gal of fuel, fresh fuel is the key to help eliminate fuel problems. Oh and for those who want use additives have never operated a Diesel in the North country, its really no fun setting on the side of the road with the fuel jelled up. Most all major Trucking companys use some type of additive's in the winter months or they did when I drove over the road Trucks. Do I believe it increases fuel mileage no I don't think it does. Do what you think is best, and don't worry about it. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:27 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I did mention that the centane booster was recommended for the NEWER ford trucks by our local dealer. Ours being a 08 is a NEWER Ford truck. The dealer never mentioned the need for the OLDER Ford trucks. The NEWER Trucks use the ULSD. The OLDER trucks use the LSD. If you have a older truck, pre 2007 or 2007.5 you do not use ULSD and the trucks run fine on 40 centane fuel and LSD. Since Ford recommended the additive for the NEWER, as in 08 Ford truck, we do use it.

Interesting reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number
Rich, just where do I find LSD. Besides a few truck stops LSD is a thing of the past and therefore I am forced into using ULSD. BUT I still have not found any need for a additive.
Once again you prove my point when saying "the centane booster was recommended for the NEWER ford trucks by our local dealer." which your dealer also sells giving him an excellent reason to recommend and make additional profits.
AND one other thing it's CETANE not centane.
Cetane boosters only improve cold starting on diesel engines due to increase of flamability of the mixture at lower pressure and temperature. It has been proven that no effect on the power of the engine is attained once the engine is at normal operating conditions.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Glenn.Our dealer does not sell Power service additive. They only recommended that we use a cetane booster in he 08 diesel motor What cetane does is well documened in many places.I did post a link to one such place. No one has to use a additive of any kind.My Truck, My money, my choice. Most fleet operators use a additive. Our school busses use it. My neighbor, Mr goodwrench recommends it. I am no expert but many folks who are recommend its use. It is good that you see no need for it and never will. It is also good that those who do see a need use it.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #19
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I thought ULSD was all we could get at the pumps now? I didn't know they were still selling LSD. The place I get my fuel only has one diesel pump so I get what they have.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The two speedway stations here in our home town still sell LSD. Many Pilot truck stops still sell it and have lanes marked ULSD. We ran into several stations that only sold LSD on our recent 2500 mile trip most in Arkansas and Tenn.