Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
New Emissions System ????

For all the Chevy HD drivers, I have a 2008 Chevy 3500HD Duramax/Allison. My question is how do you know when it Regens, I now have over 800 miles and don't know if it has Regen or not, if it did I haven't noticed it. Getting 16.1 MPG under 60 mph in city and two lane road driving. First picked it up was getting under 12 Mpg and has been going up a little everyday. Haven't towed anything yet. Reading about some of the Fords you will know for sure when they regen. That was my only concern about selling my 2007 Chevy Classic was the Emissions Systems. Will just have to live with it because they will never go back to less emissions, I think personally its a waste of money and fuel. Thanks... GBY....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lindy,
You will not really notice it unless you are constantly looking at your fuel economy on the on board computer. Your economy will drop during the regen process, and then return to normal when the process is complete.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
...and according to Rich, the EGT gauge that is not included in our trucks is a very good way of seeing what is going on. Why they didn't give us this important piece of equipment for monitoring our expensive trucks is beyond me. It isn't like it would affect the purchase price by enough to make a buyer go somewhere else. If it is, they shouldn't be looking at them in the first place.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are some good diesel forums around as well as forums for each make of diesel truck..It is a good education to learn up on these new diesel motors as ....they are different and a lot of things go on with these motors that did not go on with the older versions. You may find they do not pull as well, and get less MPG.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:19 AM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Guys lets look at the facts. Emmissions didn't start in 2008. They have been around and more and more are added to our engines-gas and diesel. This just didn't come on the scene Jan 1, 2007 to anybodys surprise. They have been around for years. Anybody remember pre crankcase ventilation on gas engines. Smog control and more have been added over they years.
If anyone is surprised by emissions on engines this year then they have advanced CRS.
Remember when diesels didn't need a battery! I've been on diesel boats that didn't need a battery to run only to start.
Emissions are here to stay-learn to live with it.
You can always yank all the emissions off and move to a state that doesn't test emissions or you can learn to live with what ya got.
Todays diesels will still out pull, out perform the diesels of old.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have owned 5 Duramax/Allison, my only question concerned the DPF emissions which was new in 2007.5 NBS. I have no performance problems with any of the Duramax/Allisons including the 2008. The 2008 rides better than the 2007 Chevy Classic, the interior is awesome and its very quite also. Just had the front windows tinted yesterday with a 5 inch strip accross the top of the windshield. Dura Flaps again the 4th set will be here next Wednesday. Dennis/Nina made a comment about the MOC owners had also ordered the Dura Flaps this past week. I told them the MOC owners had good taste in setting up their Truck. I really think the Dura Flaps are the best looking Flaps on the market and the very easy to install no drilling. GM also made the mirrors level, the 2007 Classic drove me nuts everytime I look at them. Great mirrors just not level... GBY.....
Old 12-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
There are really three ways of telling you are in regen.
On your dash DIC in your mileage setting and only if you are resetting it every few miles. Not workable. Next is an EGT gauge that is not a standard or option on GM vehicle and is owner installed. Then temps go way up to burn off particles. Read 1100 -1200 degrees.
Some may notice a loss of power. I haven't in 5000 miles noticed it in my Duramax.
Don't be overly concerned with regen or emissions and just drive it and enjoy owning a very powerful pulling machine.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Pictures please of the Dura Flaps or a web site to order them. I would like to order them.
Thanks,
Hugh
Old 12-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I love my truck! If only I could "regen"..hehe.Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
HughM just sent you a PM... For anyone else interested in the Dura Flaps you can see them on our old 2007, at our web site look under 2007 Chevy Classic. Or go to Duraflap.com. GBY....

Web Site: WWW.Webspawner.Com/users/lnhdch
Old 12-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I agree about duraflaps, bought them for both front and back. They are an easy install with no drilling. I thought they were a bit pricey, but now I think they are well worth the money.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
Just talked to a GM rep last week about regen,he said don't worry about it,mpg will drop to 10 or 11 for a short time,no hp drop,these trucks put about 327 dyno hp to the rear wheels, more than any of the big three.Your truck is being montered by onstar,they will let you know if there is a problem.
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When you do a regen in the city doing about 30/35 MPH you will know it, It is good that the HP does not drop in the duramax, I can see the HP on my aeroforce guage as it is monitored at the diagnostic port on my Ford...it drops.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
What was I thinking, didn't even think about "On Star" your correct it does monitor the Truck at all times. Thats one option we have had on 4 out of five of our Trucks. We have it on our HHR also.
Oh well we just have to adjust the emmissions is here to stay. Thanks for all the comments. Life is good. Get up today and make something good happen... GBY...
Old 12-02-2007, 02:12 AM   #15
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
I've got the Chevy 2008 HD DRW Crew Cab Duramx and with over 8,000 miles i have yet to ever notice Regen. Done a lot of in city driving and Highway to and have yet to even notice the Regen. If its happening, i sure don't know it, and have not felt any loss of power of hesitations at all. Sounds good to me, i don't need to know, let the computer do the work.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:55 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Great flaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Almost 21,000 miles on this Dodge and the only way I can tell it's doing a regen is seeing the mpg drop for a few minutes, then start back up. I cannot tell any performance change, city, highway, towing, solo, uphill, downhill, whatever. None.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:44 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As may be noted in another thread my 08 6.4L is broke. The DPF is cracked resulting in some of the low MPG and poor performance we have been experiencing. If you look at what takes place during regen you will understand that a loss of MPG and performance has got to occur no matter what marketing says. A pre turbo EGT will easily indicate when a regen is occurring as the EGT increases significantly and will remain high as long as regen is in effect. If the regen takes place at low speed and in city driving that can be as long a 20 mins. High speed interstate regen does not occur often as we are keeping the exhaust temps high enough to burn off the particulates. You will note the increase in EGT however. Since we are sensitive to diesel fuel smell we can notice the smell when doing a low speed regen and a change of engine noise.'There is still a lot to learn about the regen process in these new diesels and the effect on performance. Marketing does its best to minimize the effects.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:31 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Hey Rich,
Are you going to make Ford buy that baby back??
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:16 AM   #20
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Rich we all feel your pain. A good friend of ours is having problems with his 2005 2500HD Duramax. I'm sure you will agree all the Trucks have problems. I am very concerned about this new emissions system. That is the reason we got the 2007 Chevy Classic this past May. The Truck was flawless not one problem. However it wasn't a new Truck just had several improvements since they came out with the Duramax. I personaly think if your going to pull a 5th you need a Diesel(MHO) having been around Diesel engines all my life and being raised on a Farm and Driving all types of Class 8 Trucks and down. The Diesel is a proven engine for heavy work. Just look around you don't see any if at all Tractors pull large Trailers, that being major Trucking companys using Gas engines. Its just not practical. We all know when the Goverment force's the Big 3 to improve emissions this happens. And in a couple of years they will fix this new emissions. Until then we will have to live with it. Rich I think Ford as well GM and Dodge is working very hard to fix all the problems that they are having. The Big 3 is in trouble with the Fuel prices and now are being forced to make them better. I don't think that will happen, unless the RV industry begins to downsize all the large 5th wheels. I must say I do read about Ford buying back more of their Diesel powered engines that the other two being GM & Dodge. Good Luck.. GBY....

Rich so for our 2008HD Chevy is doing great, hardly any Diesel smell and I still haven't felt it go into Regen? I don't think the fuel mileage will be as good as the 2007 Chevy got. Again I didn't buy it for fuel mileage.