Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Diesel fuel additives

As I understand, as of October 1rst the refineries have to start making the ULSF (15 ppm). We will experience a loss of power and fuel economy with our older diesel engines, how severe time will only tell. Does anybody have any experience with some sort or fuel additive that helps performance and economy. I have started using Power Service brand and can't really say if it helps or not. I don't really see any difference in performance. Don't know if the manufacturers are recommending anything or not.

tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I used Power Serve when I lived in Iowa but since I've been full time I use Lucas Fuel Treatment. Uses about 3 oz/10 gal diesel. It provides me with cleaning and lubricity for the injectors. Don't believe it does anything for power, but I believe it's helpful for the injectors. Costs about $23/gal at Auto supply stores or Truck stops.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We MIGHT see a slight power/economy improvement with an additive vs. without when the new ULS fuel is used. Only real way to tell is to run a while without, get good data, and then run with a couple of tanks + the additive. I don't think we will see a measurable power difference (that is a very short-term event), but, maybe, an economy difference in the long term. All yet to be seen. I'll continue to use either Power Service or Lucas, if only for the lubricity
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #4
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
The school dist. where I work started us ulsf diesel 8-01-06. we have not seen any loss of power or decrease in fuel milage. I think a lot of what we are being told is scare tactics.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I use Stanadyne http://www.stanadyne.com/dsg/dsg_dfa.asp. I don't use it for power I use it for lubricity and water removal.
I will say that this additive does help with breaking down water in fuel. With my first fuel filter change I had some water in the filter. After the second filter change using Stanadyne there was NO water in the filter. Stanadyne is also approved by GM.
http://www.stanadyne.com/dsg/showfile.asp?id=1687
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I can say that I am NOT happy with the new ULSD in my 04 Duramax. On my journey to the fall rally I averaged 11.7 (12mpg) using LSD (500ppm) diesel. I am half way home and have been using the new ULSD (not by choice) and my fuel mileage has tanked. Average mpg now is 9.8 (10mpg) and I have noticed what seems to be a reduction in power as well. Hopefully over the next 1100 miles the mileage will improve.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:50 AM   #7
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
MS,

How many miles ("1/2 way home") are you referring to? It's kind of tough knowing exact mpg's without putting on a lot of miles, due to all sorts of factors as how full you top it off, what the winds and temps are, what fuel stations you've used, etc etc.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had mentioned before that since the school bus I drive began using ULSD on June 1st we have experienced @2MPG drop in Fuel milage as have the other busses and we keep accurate fuel logs.Other diesel drivers that keep fuel logs have confirmed that , Can't say about power loss..It will get worse with the ULS fuel and the new motors.. The E-85 fuel will do the same for the gas motors. Marketing is not telling us the whole story about the new fuels and motors.It will not take long for the real story to come out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
So far I have covered 5,200 miles of a 6,300 mile trip. Prior to using the new ULSD and Biodiesel I covered over 4000 miles. Temps ranged from 98 degrees all the way down to 35 degrees. Went through 20+mph headwinds, 2 forest fires, golf ball hail, and horrid rain storms and still averaged 12mpg. As Rich has stated, he noticed a drop of approx. 2 mpg on the new fuel, that seems to be very consistent with my experience. Hoping the next 1000 miles shows an improvement.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
This is a confusing topic.
We had to stop at a GMC dealer for a problem we were having. The service department was insistent that we should not use an additive in the fuel. They said that there was already additives in the fuel, and there was no need to add more.

Are you all using additives when you fill up? We were using additives, but did not have the mpg we expected.

therebnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gene,
I do not use any additives to my fuel. The oil companies are supposed to do that before they deliver the fuel to the station. I am curious as to what type of problem you were having with your Duramax? I know you said you were not getting the fuel mileage you had expected, I wonder if my truck is having the same problem as yours??
Old 10-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ready for the newest generation of Diesel? Going green doesn't just mean buying a hybrid and moving to San Francisco. Keep your truck, and look cool while protecting our environment. The new requirements for Ultra Low-Sulfur Diesel require the sulfur level to be dropped 97% from the current level that was mandated in 1993. The new legislation requires all Model Year 2007 diesel engines to use high-efficiency catalytic exhaust emission control devices. What does this mean for trucks built before 2007?

Concerns for this new product range from lubricity to cost. In order to reduce the sulfur level to 15ppm (the new standard) manufacturers are using the old method of 'hydro-treating', but increasing the duration of the process; called 'Severe Hydro-treating'. In actuality a lower sulfur content does not present any risk to your vehicle; the problems occur in the removal process. The 'Severe Hydro-Treating' robs the fuel of naturally occurring Lubricating, Viscosity, and Stability properties. To counteract the depletion of these properties, artificial lubricants must be added (added cost as well.)

Here lies another problem, most refinery's are unwilling to add the lubricant due it its potential harm to the pipelines. So in order for the lubricant to be added it will be up to the Terminal operator or Oil jobber to add the treatment additive. This adds extra cost to the fuel, leaving little incentive for smaller distributers to add sufficient additive. Aside from the label indicating the type of fuel on the pump, the customer will never be sure as to how much additive is actually in the fuel. Another concern is the Viscosity of ULS fuel; Diesel Fuel Pumps rely on the fuel to lubricate and cool, however after 'Severe Hydro-Treating' many of those properties are greatly reduced.

A decreased lubricity will lead to excess wear on pumping elements, delivery valves, injections nozzles, and other metal-to-metal parts that are fuel lubricated. Extra cost, poor lubrication prior to additives, lower viscosity, less B.T.U energy content and major worries of lowered fuel mileage begs the question, why do this?

The advantages to ULS fuel are: it burns much cleaner, lower emissions, less white-smoke, and faster warm up. The new standards are set to hit retailers Oct. 15 and Sep. 1 in CA. People are asking, "what can be done to prepare my truck?" With a little help, your truck can be running even better than before. The most sensible cost efficient way to safeguard ones truck and promote mileage is to use a 'OEM' Approved Lubricity Additive. Tests have shown that using an additive, such as Stanadyne Performance Formula, will protect your engine and increase fuel mileage. This extra mileage yields a reduction in quantity of fuel needed to be purchased, therefore offsetting the cost of the additive. What this means is you will pay the same amount for fuel, while still getting all the benefits of the lubricity additive.

Article Source: http://www.content.onlypunjab.com

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #13
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
Dave
We are used to diesel fuel having a green handle. In Hannibal, Gene picked up the green handle, and added 7 gallons of REGULAR gas instead of diesel. He then added diesel additive to combat the goof. Unfortunately, it wasn't the right move.
After traveling about 50 miles, the truck started to choke. A very nice Missouri highway patrolman drove behind us, then led us to the GM dealer. They drained the tank (ouch), blew out the lines, and replaced the filter. They were adamant that we did not need fuel additive.
It was a costly error and you can be sure we will be extra careful from now on.
We will see if the gas mileage improves on the way back.
Live and learn, I guess.
Shirley
Old 10-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Gene & Shirley,

I'm confused? They said the additive caused the problem???? Or combination of gas with the additive?
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Shirley,
I was just at the BP station in the hills today and almost did the same thing. I have never seen any handle but a diesel handle the color green until today. I put the nossle in and was just going to start pumping unitl I noticed the price per gallon was much cheaper than what the reader board read. Glad I double checked the pump, sorry to hear about your mishap.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #16
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
Hi Matt
The dealer said it was too much additive. There was only 7 gallons of gas in the full tank, but added too much additive in an attempt to dilute the gas. They also said it was not necessary to add any additive.
With or without, it sure hasn't changed our mileage.
Shirley
Old 10-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Shirley,
Are you still getting 8-9mpg? Have you noticed what type of diesel you are using? I am leaving the Black Hills tomorrow morning and will be heading up into Wyoming and Montana as I make my way across to Washington. Sure hoping I do not run into any more biodiesel or the new ULSD. I want my 11-12mpg back!!! MS~
Old 10-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
All BP stations have green handles. Be careful when you fill up in any of their stations. Read the pump info first. This mistake has been made by several diesel owners based on the green pump handle. When BP was questioned about it, all they would say is "The pump information is clearly stated."

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:06 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I can say that I am NOT happy with the new ULSD in my 04 Duramax. On my journey to the fall rally I averaged 11.7 (12mpg) using LSD (500ppm) diesel. I am half way home and have been using the new ULSD (not by choice) and my fuel mileage has tanked. Average mpg now is 9.8 (10mpg) and I have noticed what seems to be a reduction in power as well. Hopefully over the next 1100 miles the mileage will improve.
Dave, my numbers were nearly identical to yours. In both directions. Mine also is due for a fuel filter change and that might be part of it. I always notice an mpg reduction when nearing the time to replace the filters but I think the fuel is the majority of it. I'm also seeing about 1 to 1.5 mpg reduction solo in town, although that's a preliminary result. Not enough miles to know for sure. In a couple of weeks I'll have a solo highway trip of about 250 miles and will get a feel for any solo highway mpg change.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Amazing, the last 1000 miles have been on LSD diesel (500ppm) and my fuel mileage and power has come back. Mileage is back in the 12/13 mpg range and power is pleanty. Here is the crazy part, when I left South Dakota heading for Wyoming I was going straight into a 35mph headwind. It was all the truck could do to maintain 55-60mph. Even with that strong wind out of the west, the truck averaged 8/9mpg. About the same as I was getting running the new ULSD (15ppm) with no wind. After passing Billings,MT the wind died and the fuel mileage came right back to 12-13mpg and again had more than enough power. Sure not looking forward to the new fuel.