Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
jengelkirk
Established Member

M.O.C. #8140
Prodigy Brake Controller Settings?

Still having a little problem with getting the right brake controller settings with our new Monty, 3400RL. Just can't seem to find a straight stretch of road with no traffic. Anyway, we have the Prodigy brake controller and '07 Dodge RAM 3500, TD, 4x4. Our Monty is not too heavily loaded. Out of curiosity, for those of you with a similar set up, approximately what setting do you have on your brake controller? Do you use boost 1, 2 or 3? This might give us a good place to start. Just trying to get an idea. I know every combination is different and every persons driving different. Thanks for any help.

jengelkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I have the 2955RL (a lite model less than 12000 loaded), and the Chevy 2500 (See signature). The dealer set mine at 2 and that seems to work well for me. I do find that first starting out the breaks come on quickly, but settle in after a few stops (usually by the time we are out of the camp ground or the second traffic stop.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Not sure I have my adjusted properly either. I installed it myself and followed the instructions which were fairly simple. I was not able to get the trailer brakes to 'lock up' as suggested in the initial voltage settings. When I called Prodigy, they said that the heavy 5ers would not luck up during the initial setting. I had backed down the voltage (not sure to what at this point). I used the manual lever to stop the truck just using the trailer brakes.

I have played with the boost 1, 2 and 3 settings. The brakes are a little grabby @ 3 in town. I called Prodigy and asked about that. They said that was somewhat normal. They recommended turning the boost off in town.

That seems a little inconsistent with what I have read on several threads here...."just set it and forget it"....So I have the CD that came with it and will continue to experiment and watch this thread for advise. So far, I must say, this is a much better controller than I had before.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
TV and Rig is as listed, boost setting for prodigy has always been at 2.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Sorry, but I just got rid of my 2004 Chevy with the Prodigy, so I can't check the setting. Dealer set it originally and I never had to touch it. We are also towing a 3400, wo I think once you get it set, you'll like it. It was a great controller. I hope the new GM Integrated Controller works as good on my new truck. Looks like you're getting some good starting points (2 on the boost).
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
I've had the same experience as "rogue" and the same model (2955)...granted, lighter than your 3400 and we have different trucks. First/Second braking "out of the chocks" grabs a bit, but settles down after that at boost level 2. Works great at highway speeds and seems a bit more agressive at city speeds, which I'm OK with, because that is usually when I need it most. I was never quite comfortable with my previous brake controller, felt like the truck was doing too much of the stopping.

For What Its Worth, sometimes I have to back down my driveway to get parked at the house and then I turn the boost to 1. Otherwise, the trailer brakes grab more than I want them to.

Can't tell you what my voltage setting is right now, for some reason 4.3 sounds right?
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
It will depend on the trailers brake adjustment. I installed 3 prodigy's myself and alway set the first setting on 6 and went up or down as needed. And large parking lot can be used for the setting. You would not believe how many 5th wheels are being towed with improper brake adjustment on the trailer. I now have a IBC on the Chevy and I must say its the best system I have ever owned. The setting is on 5 and the same setting works on all three trailers I pull. Good Luck and check the brake adjustment on the trailer. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
hoserwv
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7711
I have a 3475 and tow with a Chevy 2500. I set my prodigy boost on 3 and the gain around 7.5 under normal driving conditions. In wet weather i back the gain down. Prodigy tech suggested the boost of 3 according to the weight of 5th wheel. Hope this helps.
hoserwv is offline   Reply With Quote