Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
do you have a refrigerator in w/d closet 3400 ?

Looking into living full time in the Monty at a RV park and wanted to put a refrigerator / freezer in w/d closet in the 3400. Looking for some info. on Models and sizes used. We want something that is frost-free and would like to keep all or most of the shelves. Also do you have to secure it in place if you are going to travel and how long can you go without power to it and keep the frozen food frozen..? (CA area)
Thanks for any idea and info.

Kim

kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Some have done that here, but if you are going FT in your 3400 and don't put a stackable Ariston (or other brand) w/d in there, you may regret it. We did. One year of fighting for washers, then spending all one day just with laundry... Cheryl initially though she wanted to do this. After one year, she had had it. This w/d is a blessing to us.

That is strictly our opinion and our experience. As mentioned, there are MOCers that FT that do not want a w/d in their Montana and they seem happy.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:51 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Being long timers we have a W/D in that space.We do have a freezer in place of one of our Recliners at the rear of the 3400 and can tell you that we can travel 6 to 8 hours without AC power and only lose maybe 5 degrees in the freezer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
To offer another opinion: We have been fulltiming since May of '07 in our 3400. I'd say we have stayed in about 30 parks since then. We have no W/D in our 3400 and don't plan on getting one. We have had no problem with laundry facilities wherever we have been. Some were cheap, some were free (military) and some not so cheap. This is a personal preference, we just consider it part of the lifestyle. We have a portable ice maker in the front closet along with three shelves, extra sodas, snacks, cleaning supplies, broom and mop. We have gone as long as 9 hours without elec and our freezer is still freezing.....Hope this helps!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 AM   #5
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We are also full-timers in our 3400 and agree with Phil, go to the laundry...Takes 1/2 the time and ALL done in 2-3hours. We put a 5cubic foot uprite freezer in the space and left the selving that was in place and put pull out drawer organizers 6 total that make a great pantry and do not have to pick up gorcerys off floor when we travel. When we travel we have no problems with the freezer thawing, just don't get into it! Got the freezer at Sears for 200$ and it is frost free. Keeps ice cream solid....I think the secret to laundry's is go early tomid afternoon while people are out doing tourist things. Early mornings and evenings are alway busy as well as Saturdays and Sundays. Good luck in your travels.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
We're just weekenders and have a small refrigerator in the W/D closet for sodas and bottled water. Works for us.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Ive thought about putting a W/D in the closet. haven't made up my mind for sure. I really don't need an extra freezer, the double door Norcold has a really big freezer space. I DO have a ULINE ice maker in the closet. It makes more ice than I normally need a day, drinks, cooler, MARGARITAS AT THE BEACH. Some places ice is expensive. Also have three extra shelves in the closet. If I go FT I'll give some thought to the W/D, but one thing is for sure, I'll find another spot for the ice maker. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #8
Peg Jack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8568
We just ordered a 2009 3400RL and our sales rep told us that a stack w/d would not fit in our unit but that a w/d combo would, but he did not suggest it because takes forever to use and hardly fits anything in it. I would love not to go to laundry mat. Anyone heard anything regarding the newer unit and the combo's
Thanks, Peggy
Peg Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Your sales rep is "misinformed", Peggy & Jack. Stackable w/d's do fit nicely in that front closet of the 3400, and we find it much, much better than the combo unit. Cheryl can do almost residential size loads with the Ariston w/d units. She loves them!

There are other stackables besides Ariston also. I think Whirlpool among others, Has to be a 110v dryer. The Ariston washer spins out at a whopping 1200 rpm (adjustable) which puts clothes into the dryer almost dry. After one year w/o w/d, folowed by one year with the Aristons, Cheryl is absolutely thrilled with this set of units.

Also, when the closet door is closed, I am surprised at the noise level reduction.

Your sales rep was thinking of another floor plan.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Pegjack,
I must admit that a recent 3400 RL I looked at had a permanent shelf installed in that closet under which a combo would fit. If that is what the dealer is saying, that shelf can be removed and the stackables will work. Like Dave, my wife would not do without the separate washer/dryer combo. We have two girls and believe me there is 1-3 loads done on a daily basis (particularly when at the beach). If you want the stackables, put some pressure on the dealer for the install!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The D/W would not take anything for our W/D combo Splendide. It pays for itself in convenience.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
If you decide to install a freezer or fridge be sure to put grills in the door so to get air movement as cooling units need air to cool right. No air movement could end up destroying the cooling unit. I have a freezer and installed 2 grills in the top of the door as there is a gap in the bottom. This might be a good idea to do with the W/D in the closet also. We do like the extra freezer. If you install the grills in the doors you will find that they are made of paper. The grills are heating grills that I got from Menard's[same as Home Depot or Lowe's].
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Nancy and I are weekender's and have Kennmoore stackables. Now ya'll having me wanting put a icemaker/refrig/freezer in and ditching the W/D. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Steve,
I gotta' hunch that those are probably fightin' words if Nancy hears them????? This is based on my personal relationship and the knowledge that I would not survive such a statement if I could even get brave enough to say it!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #15
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
My Cheryl wouldn`t be without our stackable Aristons either! They work great and save time! Been using them 11 months.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:28 AM   #16
catsR4me
Established Member

M.O.C. #6762
Personally, I like using the space for extra storage. In the year we've been traveling, I've never had to wait in line for a washer or dryer at the camp's laundry facility. It's nice being able to do 3-4 loads in the time that it takes to do one -- get it done and over with. My biggest hassle has been having enough quarters at times but that's easily sovled by stopping by the camp shoppette. I always come back to the RV and set the timer and do things around here while the loads are washing/drying. I guess until a washer/dryer ruins my cloths or someone rips them off, I'll continue using the campground laundry facilities -- it works for me.
catsR4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #17
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
We are short-timers going out for a week or so at a time so the Laundry hasn't been a problem for us. We pack enough for the week or laundry whereever we are if needed.
We put a frig in our closet and the added space is wonderful.
We bought a 5 cuft frig from Home Depot for $120.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #18
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
I am with RichFaa. We took out 1 of the recliners and put in a 5cft freezer. We had no problems with temps while we were driving. Everything stayed frozen solid. The extra freezer space made the dw very happy. This was on a just completed 48 day 5000 mile trip.
Jesse
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
We have a 3295 model which is the same up front as the 3400, We put a 5cu ft chest freezer in the w/d space and love it!I also installed a 1000 watt inverter (in the basement) and ran a dedicated circuit into the closet. (also put 3 2" holes at the base of the freezer into the basement for vents.) this allows us to plug into the inverter while on the road and the truck keeps the batts. full and the freezer at about -7F.
we fill that freezer and can stay out on the road for months. when we go to Mexico we bring it back full of huge (read cheap) jumbo prawns! we're longtimers that boondock a lot Kelly votes for the freezer over the W/D, she can do 3 loads at a time a the campgrounds, justs picks her time right. Dave P.S. we turn the freezer off at sunset at about -9 F in the mourning, it might be +8 F -------D
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote