Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Porta Boat/Folding Boat

I am a bass fisherman who ownes a Ranger 18 ft bass boat. Use to pull it with a motor home. Sold the MH and bought 2005 Montana which I love but now the boat has to stay home, unless I triple pull which illegal in the states I need to go through. Solution! A few months back I researched the porta boat and am very satisfied with it. It folds to aprox 6in. x 24 and is 12 ft long. I made a metal rack under the 5th wheel at the front. I slide the folded boat into the rack and when camping have a great boat that weighs 75 lbs. It is very secure and you would never know it was a fold up once it opened. I operate it with a 55lb thrust trolling motor. Not the Ranger but works well. Just an idea for all you fishing people with 5th wheels.

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have the 10 foot model with the Nissan 5 HP outboard. Put a four roller rack underneath on the front. Unfortunately I have not used the boat yet, but we will be using it within the week or so.

Worse part of it was registering it with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Cost for registering the boat and motor was $247 and some change. After 2 years it will be $30 for reregistration for 2 year periods. First time registration is the Governor's cut in taxes.

Edited: Here is the link to Porta-Bote
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Glad to hear you guys are pleased with the Porta-Bote.

We too have researched this product and like the idea of it.

One thing that is stopping us from making the purchase, is we are not actually sure how we will haul the boat with the trailer. As you can see from our signature that we own a SOB....not sure if we have the clearence underneath to make the set up like you both did...

Oh well!, when we get serious we will figure it out
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Kevin and Denise,
They have a mount for the side of the RV, or you can also put it on the roof. The 10 ft boat weighs in at 56 pounds. The 5 HP motor is only a few pounds lighter than the boat. When you include a cover that you would want made for traveling, all you need is 5-6 inches of downward clearance. Heck, your axles are probably down that low.

Here are some Mounting Solutions by on Porta-Bote's page.

Disclaimer: I have no fiscal attachementds to Porta-bote.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PartyCrashers

Oh well!, when we get serious we will figure it out
Well take a look at how some of us have them mounted when you are at Lake Siskiyou. It may make you serious about getting one.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Carl n Susan-
Kevin may be all over your rig checking out your hook up !

Waynem-
Thanks for the suggestions, Kevin is not real favorable in the side mount. We would really like to mount under the trailer, but our trailer is in storage.....he needs to bring it home and give the "maybe" set up a real good looking. Another crazy idea I have, if we only purchase the 10ft. bote, then he may be able to tie (strap) the porta-bote to our ladder. I'm only thinking of him, so he does not have to go up and down the ladder.

Thanks, Denise
Old 04-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm not sure the ladder is a good idea. The 10 foot boat weighs 56 pounds. Combine that with the bouncing up and down on the road for a long period of time and I'm thinking you could loosen the ladder screws.

Underneath is the way to go. I had to put my underneath rollers close to the edge on the step side. That is because I had a tail pipe from the Onan to contend with. A 12 footer will fit under there also. Carl sent me some PM's on how he did it and I took off from there. I have some pictures somewhere, but can't find them at the moment. Might be on another ocmputer. I shold have my Hanna out of the shop soon and I'll take new pictures.

I also took Carl's advice and had a Sail Maker make a glove fit cover for it. It zippers from bow to stern. It is 18# vinyl with a soft lining. That will keep the road debris off of it.

I have not run down the road with it mounted yet, but Carl has put many miles on his.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #8
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Wayne, you haven't tried that boat out YET, ha, figures, all talk and no action. I'll bet it's still waitng to be broke in went we get back this fall. I'll make you take it out and show us.

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hey! I had it open in the yard!
I almost did what the video did and fall in and have it close up on me! Key word is ALMOST!

Soon Jim, soon. Even if it's just for a bayou ride.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Waynem-

Just keep in mind that you can talk all you want, At least you own a boat. LOL!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And I'm saving money. Have not even filled up the gas tank yet.

JimF asked me this evening if I was going to take it on my trip and I replied that I was not. We have the boat for fishing and I would be enticed to use it without fishing incenses and I don't want to get a license in each state I go through. It's going to be a Texas boat for fishing.