Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
PeteMorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #19208
Going from Dubois WY to W. Yellowstone MY

We are planning a cross-country trip this coming summer and will be relocating from Longhorn Ranch in Dubois WY, (east of Grand Teton), to Grizzly RV in W. Yellowstone, (outside the west entrance of Yellowstone), just prior to the 4th of July.

My Garmin GPS wants me to take Route 26 west, then 191 south to Jackson. It then suggest that I take Route 20, (the Teton Pass?) up to W. Yellowstone.

I want to take Rout 26 west, the, 191 north into Teton NP, follow the Rockefeller Parkway up to the South entrance of Yellowstone, go thru the park to the west entrance and exit into W. Yellowstone. This route appears to be shorter. Am I missing something?

Is there fuel services on the Rockefeller Parkway? What are the grades like? I don't ASSume that I will have any height restrictions? Am I saving any time / distance?

I have never experienced a 10 degree grade such as the the Teton Pass, but I am not overly concerned about it. I have had my truck / trailer on a CAT scale recently and all weights are within limits, but my GCW is certainly pushing the limit. I am equipped with a jake brake. My truck, and trailer are both new so tires, brakes, etc are good to go. So as long as I go slow and cautious I'm sure that I will be alright

Any suggestions or advice will be really appreciated.

PeteMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Just go thru the park and west to W. Yellowstone. Maybe a little slow but I think a lot shorter.
I have been thru Yellowstone many times and I have actually gone thru the park from Cody and then south while heading to the Utah border. I went thru the pass west of Jackson and it WAS steep, but I was going mostly downhill (East). Saw a young couple with an open small trailer behind an old pickup pulled off to the side with smoke rolling out of the overheated brakes. They were camping in Yellowstone and I doubt they had the money to spare for new brakes. Felt sorry for them.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:16 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
quote:I want to take Rout 26 west, the, 191 north into Teton NP, follow the Rockefeller Parkway up to the South entrance of Yellowstone, go thru the park to the west entrance and exit into W. Yellowstone. This route appears to be shorter. Am I missing something?
In my opinion (and we were there in September) you are missing nothing. This is the way to go. Fuel is available at the entrance of Colter Bay RV Park and Campground. I'm sure at other places. Since we stopped at Colter Bay that's the one we used.

You will enjoy the view from Togwotee Pass. There is a nice picnic area, and you should stop for the view of the Tetons.

You can also stop at West Thumb if you wish and even at Old Faithful. We enjoy eating at the historic Old Faithful Inn.

Just take you time going through Yellowstone and enjoy it.No steep grades that I can remember. Colter Bay RV Park is one of our favorites.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
PeteMorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #19208
Thank you both for the reassurance. That has always been my plan, but when I tried to get the GPS to recognize it, she wouldn't hear of it. Perhaps because it is a Park Road instead of a state road?
Old 01-01-2017, 05:46 AM   #5
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
Go Thur the park there are fuel stations at colter bay, Flagg ranch , grant village , old faithful. Its a lot shorter going thu the park. Teton pass is a very steep pass I wouldn't pull my fiver over it. I use to live in Jackson and seen too many cars and trucks with smoking brakes coming down the pass. So as I said i would go thru the parks slower but very nice senery. Even being slower traveling you will still get there faster.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree just go through Yellowstone. Enjoy the ride.
While in Dubois see Union Pass. I think it's the prettiest place in Wyoming. 9200 feet in elevation with all the large species of game in Wyoming creeks and lakes with trout. You might even wont to camp up there like I do, just don't go before the first of July, SNOW. You can do a Google search to check it out.
Lynwood
Union Pass is my favorite place to camp.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I went up Union Pass 2 years ago. But we got there around June 26. Headed up the pass and there was a kiosk after 10 miles or so. Road had snow ahead and I was going to turn around. A couple of guys with bikes and a small pack with no sleeping bags stopped too. They headed on over even tho it was 6 pm (sunset around 9 or 9:30) and they had 35-40 miles to go. So they headed on and where the big snow bank onthe road was, they just walked around on the path others had made with trucks. They only walked about 10 feet. So I thought I could just gun the pickup and get thru before I got stuck - and I did. Went on about 1/2 mile over a hill and saw ANOTHER snow bank covering the road. Decided it wasn't going to be my day and turned around.
Also, there used to be a restaurant that was pretty good about 8 miles up but I heard it closed last year.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:35 AM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
That restaurant was the Sawmill. A man new to Dubois bought it for a guest house. A friend in Dubois says he has spent 50 million and owns the St Jude's Childrens Hospital pharmacy. ??
You don't wont to go up on Union Pass until the snow up there is gone. That could take untitled the middle of July.
Lynwood
Old 02-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
PeteMorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #19208
So, now I'm going to take it one step further. After leaving West Yellowstone, we would like to visit Cody, WY. Is it safe to assume that I can also pull my rig right back thru the park and come out the East Entrance onto Route 20 into Cody?
Old 02-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You sure can done it many times. Just be sure to see the Buffalo Bill museum.
Lynwood
Old 02-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #11
Andy R
Site Team

M.O.C. #18768
If you are looking for trip planning tool to find campgrounds along the way, check out www.RVTripWizard.com. It will help you find gas stations along the way too (and link you to places to find the cheapest gas). You can input your MPG of your tow vehicle and know when you will need to fuel up.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
If you go over Teton Pass, keep in mind that it is STEEP and LONG, and there is a speed trap on the west side. Don't ask me how I know this. Absolutely beautiful country, though, and if you have never been to,Grizzly Campground in West Yellowstone, you're in for a treat. Very nice campground. Also, as some one else said, don't miss the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. Allow plenty of time, too, you could spend days there.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote