Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
nevrdun

M.O.C. #7572
DC Stero Install

If this is a duplicate post - sorry. My screen blanked at the most inopportune time........My first post tho I registered here 2 years ago when we bought our 3000RK - great site!

We boondock and bought a Jensen car stereo but don't have a clue where the red Accessory/Ignition lead would tap in to the coach wiring.

Sure would use your expertise!

TIA
Billie

nevrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
If I understand you right,you want to hook up the hot wire to a power source. Not having a switched power lead,you can run a wire right to the battery junction and install an inline fuse for it. your unit will have power all the time,but when off it will draw a minimal amount of power.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The where question can also be to mount the stereo in your entertainment cabinet and like "racerjoe" mentions, run the power (red) wire from directly to the battery. You'll have to locate a good ground, too. To minimize the battery draw, do not hook up the stereos "hot" wire (sometimes this is a yellow wire but you'll have to check). You will only need the red wire because when the power switch is off, then the radio will draw no current and discharge your battery and avoid the draw of power "racerjoe" mentions.

What about speakers? In this arrangement you might need separate speakers because you will not be able to use the speakers at the audio unit in your rig because if you boondock and don't have 110v, then this may not work.

btw - I did not see a duplicate post so you are cool.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I did the same thing. I mounted mine above the TV and mounted a power switch right below it so I could eliminate the constant power drain when not in use. I dropped 2 wires down the wall next to the fireplace and though the area below the steps and over to the breaker panel and then tied the wires directly in to a dedicated fuse. This eliminated the need for an inline fuse, making easier to find if you ever need to.

good luck
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Hey mtheo, will that work when boondocking? Do you have to have shore power to get power to the breaker panel? Will the batteries be supplying voltage to the panel?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
nevrdun

M.O.C. #7572
I knew this was the place to ask. The Jensen unit we bought has both a yellow and a red wire. The yellow is for memory (always hot) and the schematic shows it to the battery - also states unit will not work if this wire is not connected.

The red wire is the radio or radio fuse wire. We've already tapped the 12v and brought it up above the TV - like mtheo did. What is the dedicated fuse you ran to? and is that of the AC type? Then there's the speaker question...........these coaches or radios didn't used to be so technical!

Billie
nevrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
nevrdun. Good catch... the yellow and red wires should be connected to each other then to the 12v battery. The yellow wire will be needed after all. But there will need to be a way to keep the batteries charged to retain all the settings controlled by the the hot lead. The red wire is still controlled by the on/off switch on the radio so as long as this is kept off in storage, then no drain due to this.

The fuse should have come with your radio and connected in series to the battery, connecting directly to the battery will suffice. It is probably the inline twist type. The yellow wire needs to be on the other side of that fuse (not in series).

Good luck on the speakers. That's why we use a cheap small boom box that runs on batteries or 110v. Okay, so it doesn't sound as good.