Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
IU Fan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6629
Sylvania Microwave Problem

The microwave in our 2006 Mountaineer is having a problem....when using it, condensation forms between the 2 glass panels (like thermopane glass) in the microwave door. I have not been able to find a place that will work on it and Keystone referred me back to my dealer who seemed to only be able to help if it was still under warranty....and, trying to contact Sylvania is like dial-a-prayer....no one answers the phone and can't leave a message....no wonder they went bankrupt and now are owned by Galanz....and where are they located....

Anyone have a solution(s) to suggest??

IU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
As I have said in the past to sharon ,,Lets just buy a good 1000 watt or more Microwave and replace the junk that came in the unit sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
How about trying to find a new door? I might suggest trying to "reseal" the glass seams but I wouldn't know what to use, how safe it would be, or if that would even work.

How about leaving it alone and maybe over time it might "fix itself"?

Good luck on this one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Here a deal, I'll take the door off my POS, Give it to you then I can go buy a good microwave. Sylvania if their still around is a joke. The dealer also can't seem to do anything. My microwave since day one will continue to (run?????) after it says end and no time left. But not all the time. Even with the door open it continues to run. Dealer can't find anybody who knows if that's right or wrong.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Ours has been good, other than the turntable breaking.(knock on wood) That was in winter of 07, and they shipped me a new turntable to the RV Park we were in.

Microwaves are not worth fixing, and I sure wouldn't attempt door repairs without being able to check for leakage. You can buy a decent unit for around $100 now. I was telling my son last night about the first microwave DW and I ever had, an Amana Radar Range, to the tune of about $600. That was back in the early 80s.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I bought one for my mom when I got my first real job in 1976. Bought it a Sears top of the line $1000 bucks. Best part it worked for a lot of years.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
IU Fan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6629
I think the best idea is to go buy a decent microwave as some of you have suggested....no one seems to want to work on or even order parts such as a new door for me...and Sylvania has been purchased by some outfit known as Galanz....and they simply don't answer the phone...maybe they are hiding the fact that they don't speak English!!

Thanks for your input!
IU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #8
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Ours went bad the first month we had it. Had it replaced last fall and it would burn the pop corn. Finally figured out from other RV'rs (not Sylvania-I don't think they knew this) that putting a small bown upside down on the turntable and laying the bag of popcorn on it, It works like a charm. Amazing that noone from Sylvania could answer this. If it goes bad again, I will replace it with another brand. Have a Good Day (shopping for a NEW microwave)
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Ours would not cook popcorn. I thought that was why they make mircowaves. The dealer replaced it and we had the seam problem. Also the none of the preprogramed funtions would work as required. Went back to the dealer and contacyed Keystone. They replaced it with a 1/2 Time Oven. So far the grandkids are happy, they get popcorn and the oven side works great.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote