Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
brian ayerst
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8155
stroke warfrin inr testing

My wife took a couple of strokes last year and is coming along great, but we have to get her blood tested every two weeks [inr clotting times], as we are canadians and winter in texas can anyone tell us how to get approval for the testing in the states, we relize we have to pay for it but would like to know how to go about it. thankyou

brian ayerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Brian and Joanne,
I'd think any medi / hospital / urgent care type place should be able to help you. In my case the home health nurse took my blood and dropped it off at the lab. As soon as lab was known they'd give me a call and tell me what dosage I should take. Worked pretty good.

On the road if we were doing the checking we'd go to a Medi-Center and tell them our sad story. They would then either do it themselves or direct us to where they could perform the tests. Good luck and let us know. All it is gonna cost you is a bit of your time and the good old $$$$$. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
When my mother was traveling with us she had a signed prescription from her doctor and that worked fine. Just don't let them keep it, have them make a copy for themselves. We were usually able to find a lab to draw the blood sometimes there were none available and we would have to find a clinic or a hospital
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Just a little side note. My mother is also on blood thinners for a stroke. My wife read in prevention mag that 2 drugs were not good in generic and always go with name brand. One of them was "warfarin" which is generic for coumadin. It said the generic drug is not as good and should not be used for best results. Might check with your doc.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I'm pretty sure I read recently that there was a portable testing kit similar to what diabetics use that would allow you to test your own clotting time. Do a search online, or check with your Dr.. You would just have to call your Dr. with the numbers and he would change the dosage as necessary.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I had to have lab work done while in Corpus Christi, TX. I went to Labcorp www.labcorp.com. They have locations in most larger cities, all over the US. They accepted my prescription from my NY doctor and faxed the results to them in one day. I never saw a bill. I believe Dynacare Lab in Canada is the same company as Labcorp in the US. You might want to check that out.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I did my own testing. The dr. office ordered the kit, came out with it and showed me how to use it. Then when you tested, you called in your results to whoever supplied the kit. They relayed any results outside the parameters to the dr. who then called you with instructions on dosage and when to test again etc. It worked well. If you don't have access to this, then a prescription taken to a lab or hospital will work. Good luck...
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Myrna,
Do you think it might be because you were a nurse that the doctor let you do your own testing? Or is it because they now have kits that make it easier to do? Anyway that is good news. You don't have to go to the doctor or lab.... That would be nice. Thanks, Dennis.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I did a search and there are several self test kits available, here's a link to one
http://inrselftest.com/content/?utm_...FUiK4AodMW-Xfw
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I take warfarin, too, and my doctor offered to write a prescription that would enable blood draws anywhere. Just check with your physician in Canada, I'm sure they would help.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
LV2TRAVEL

M.O.C. #10366
I recently (April 16th) had a stroke. I was then placed on Pradaxa, which is a new blood thinner. I don't have to do the frequent blood tests. I was told a kit was available to use at home to check the blood levels. You might check with your doctor about the new medication or the kit. Hope this helps.
LV2TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Dennis: it wasn't because I was a nurse. The kit is the same as a diabetic glucose testing kit and takes one drop of blood. They were letting all of their patients that wanted to do it themselves to sign up for the program. It was really helpful for those of us that lived out in the county, saved on a lot of gas!!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Myrna,
Thanks for the info. It is always good to know this kind of stuff. Certainly a lot cheaper and more convenient than having the Home Health Nurse come out and draw blood and go thru the lab process.

On a different subject.... Aren't you guys right in the middle of the wild fire area? I hope you don't have any problem with that. Later, Dennis
Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Dennis: i guess you could say that. We have had fires all around us, but we are ok. All we have had are smoke and ash. There is a big one down in the Rio Grande national forest area right now. We are praying for rain!!