Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Gel Gloss Heavy Duty Wash/Wax

I've searched and read many posts regarding using Gel Gloss Heavy Duty Wash/Wax on RVs, but I'm more confused than ever about using it on a rig that has the gelcoat finish. Is that product safe to use on gelcoat? We're preparing to leave the Gulf Coast (February 25th) for a more friendly environment for our RV, and we want to clean it up just before we leave.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Carolyn, We always used Protect-all on ours until last year and finally had it hand washed and waxed by a park crew. They used Meguiars auto wax and it really brought the shine back to the fiberglass (front and rear cap) parts. On the Gel coat sections I did not see a lot of difference as opposed to Protectall. That Gel coat finish is great stuff. Remember ours was an '06 model also that we lived and travelled in full time for four years. When we sold it last year it was looking pretty darned good...I know I didn't answer your exact question, but I was trying to say I don't think you could hurt the gel coat finish, could be wrong, have been before, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it......Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Always use Mcguires
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Gel coat is very tough stuff. It's basically epoxy resin and coloring agents. Same stuff as on the outside of fiberglass boat hulls. And I've been taking care of a sailboat for decades.

You can use just about any cleaner on it and the gel coat will be fine. The decals are another story. Harsh cleaners will also remove wax but again - no problem with the gelcoat.

So - depending on the condition or your hull... If it just needs a wash and wax - give it a good wash with any quality boat or auto wash product like Meguiars, then follow up with a high quality wax of your choice. You can go with a straight Carnuba, a paint sealant like Classe, a liquid wax... everyone has their favorite and will tell you it's the best.

If the gelcoat is oxidized - a light polish might be called for first - then followed up with wax. Again - just keep the harsh stuff and petro distillates off the decals for longer life.

You can google the subject and find a wealth of info, videos etc on the subject.

Hope this helps.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carolyn, is that the stuff you pour a little in a bucket, add water, then brush it on and rinse off? If so, I've used zip wash/wax successfully and for the past couple of years have used a similar product by blue coral. If that's what this is, it adds a light coat of wax that's good for maybe 30 days. A hand wax will do better and last longer but for a quick wash with a light wax, the other works fine for me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Steve, you do mix this product in a bucket with water, wipe it on with an old, soft rag or something similar, and then rinse it off. We know we have a major job ahead of us cleaning off all the stuff that's accumulated on it during our stay here at the Matagorda Bay Nature Center RV Park. Park hosts have permission to wash their rigs once a month, so we've tried to keep on top of the situation, but realistically we're probably going to have to wait until we get back to Montana for the kind of cleaning our rig really needs. Oh, wait--I forgot--we'll have to wait until warm weather arrives before we do that!

We have seen a Blue Beacon truck wash place somewhere between here and Montana, and we'd love to surrender our RV to that crew for a good washing. However, our graphics--the third set, now--are peeling off again, and we're a little afraid that a commercial wash place might knock them all off since they're in such a bad state.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote