Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Driving through Seattle

Does anyone have a strategy (time of day, alternate routing) for driving through Seattle? We were there last week on a Saturday evening and a Friday afternoon. The traffic was horrendous ... the sort of place I would NOT want to haul the Monty through. Last Friday, we were 3.5 hours from Bellingham to Sea-Tac on I-5 ... bumper-to-bumper, start and stop all the way.

Bill

Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Driving through Seattle anytime is horrendous!! Has to be the most screwed up place in the US, and with our current Governor it's going to get worse. I used to drive I-5 every day, and about the only good time was around 230am. Friday and Satruday you can forget with games and stuff going on and absolutely no law enforcement out there when it's needed. The people drive like idiots (most of them are) and have absolutely no regard for other drivers. It really is the only way to get down from the Canadian Border (I-5). Sorry
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Could not agree with you more....we are Washington State residents and hopefully things will change......Les
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickety

Driving through Seattle anytime is horrendous!! Has to be the most screwed up place in the US, and with our current Governor it's going to get worse. I used to drive I-5 every day, and about the only good time was around 230am. Friday and Satruday you can forget with games and stuff going on and absolutely no law enforcement out there when it's needed. The people drive like idiots (most of them are) and have absolutely no regard for other drivers. It really is the only way to get down from the Canadian Border (I-5). Sorry
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Bill,
Next time try using the 405 & 167 from Lynnwood to Puyallup and then back to the I-5. We use that route from time to time, when travelling through, but if the I-5 is really bad other people get the same Idea and guess what...
J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I drove 30,000 miles a year on I-5 doing my job for 25 years. The best time to go through Seattle is 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM in the daylight hours. If there is a wreck then there isn't a good time. If you listen to the traffic news, you can make better time on I-405 at times.
That's why we moved to Hurricane, Utah last year. They don't know what traffic is down here, only 1 stoplight between our house and Vegas.. The other reason is we traded 300 days of rain and clouds for 300 days of sunshine.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I had to laugh when I think of our trip through Seattle in '04, not to mention having to get off an exit way before you think you need too. I practically held my breath and prayed all the way through Seattle mid morning on our way to Canada. The drivers go for broke and don't care that you have a signal on or not! Coming back I said "NO" Seattle and found a back 2 lane road that took us by the most beautiful falls on our way to Washington. Other than that enjoyed the state.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I try to stay off I-5 and stick with the 405 as much as possible. When going over to that side of the state to visit my sister I usually try to get there after 7pm and usually dont leave there till 8 or 9pm. Traffic seems to die a little bit once the sun goes down.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:13 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We live in Seattle, for now until we start fulltiming on October 1. Like someone said above, driving through Seattle is best accomplished between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. I would never drive my RV anywhwere here on a Friday or Saturday. I-405 and SR-167 can be a good option to avoid I-5, but that route can also be a curse if there is an accident.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote