Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
Justme44
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18168
No Power to brakes ... advice please

Got the fiver home but don't have any brakes. Put point of tester into the black wires at the wheels and have no power when brake pedal pushed. Checked at the hitch and the blue wire (brake power) and have a lite showing power ... at this junction two black wires are connected to the blue wire and they both show a lite. Went into the battery compartment on the drive side, a black bundle comes down from the top and the black plastic conduit can open so at this point the black wires are now a black and one white wire are enclosed inside a red wire cover (which is what comes out at the wheel). I get a lite when the brake is pushed on only the black wire (where did the two black wires become black/white). I know its long winded but I need advice. The 'tech' guy at camping world states I need to run a new wire. Well .... from where? Advice?
Dennis

Justme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:29 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
So I didn't understand if you measured at the back of the drum plate to see if you get voltage at the wires leading into the drum assy to the magnets. But anyway, blue on vehicle plug is brake controller out and white on plug is brake ground. You should read voltage or get light on whatever color wire is hooked to brake output and the other not since it is the ground. My guess is that the wirenut on the brake controller output, in the junction box on the back of the pin box, is not secure......or......that this feed disappearing in the underbelly has a bad crimp junction where it feeds each side of the trailer. If light at/after junction box but not at any of the brake magnets...then time to drop underbelly. John
Old 04-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Justme44
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18168
Thanks John... I have a lite in the battery compartment where the wire (in a red plastic casing all the way to wheels)is inside the black plastic conduit. No lite at the input to the drum. Dropped the under belly at the lift side front axle at the wheel (dump drain) ... found the red wire (black and white inside)in and out of the drum and a bird nest with 5 eggs. I was hoping to find power there and blame it on a bad crimp. Another thing I found was the apparent new rear axle which LOOKS like a good install ... nice and neat. Would you know where there might be a connection after the battery compartment but before the wheels? Much thanks
Dennis
Justme44 is offline   Reply With Quote