Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Hydraulic slide brackets

Moving the hydraulic slide out and a bottle had fallen down behind the slide. The slide stopped moving, but the hydraulic rams did not. The brackets welded to the room bar that are bolted to the hydraulic ram head bent outward about an inch. I was thinking if I pull the room back in, the outer nylon lock nuts should bend the brackets back into place once the room is fully in, and if it needed a little more, I could mark there position and use the nuts to draw the brackets back into place. Does anyone have a better idea, or has anyone had this happen? looking for a solution.

cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I don't think I would attempt to 'bend them back' the same way they were damaged. You stand a very good chance of damaging the cylinder. as they can push a lot better than they pull. You would likely pull the end off the ram or pull the brackets off the bar or worse. I would probably just remove the bent piece and have it straightened with a press or have a new one made.

Mark
Old 04-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Bend the bracket back to 90 degrees (big crescent and cheater bar) or have a new one welded on. DO NOT snug both nuts up tight on both sides of the bracket. The space between bracket and nuts is there for a reason ... the cylinder has more stroke than the slide does physically. If you try and straighten the bracket with the hydraulics, you'll probably either tear off the inner fascia or the outer trim around the exterior slide wall (which ever way you go)
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
I was concerned about the outer trim and how much stress it could handle. I know the nuts are set so the slide stops before damage to the trim or fascia can happen. now that the brackets have been bent out some, I'm concerned about bringing the slide back in as the pistons will pull the slide in based on the nylon lock nut position, this position has been shifted due to the bent bracket and either the bracket will be pulled back to its original position or the trim could possibly be ripped off. sounds like I need to fix this before moving the slide.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
One of the brackets was bent on my kitchen slide since day one and it was the one where the ram was. In order to get the slide to seal propery when out, I had to remove the bracket in order to straighten it. Was easy to do with my little sledge hammer. Not easy to get it out though...takes a bit of work moving slide in/out, nuts removed, and a jack to slightly raise/lower the end of the slide for it to come out. My height adjustment bolt on that bracket had welded itself in place...so I had to work around that. Not fun. John