Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Black flush anti-siphon valve

The black tank flush system stopped working on this trip, and I finally had time to check the anti-siphon valve under the sink. It looks like there's a check valve on the output side of the valve that's stuck closed, and I can't get at it.

Now the problem is to find a replacement. Camping World doesn't seem to have it, and a Google search hasn't helped either.

Does anyone have a source for this anti-siphon valve?? It's a Lakeview R.V. model 1000.

Bob

firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
Try a Montana dealer. A dealer in Tacoma WA had them for about $40 several months ago. Mine is also stuck, but I am going to try to free it up when I get a chance. If that doesn't work, I will buy a new one.
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Here is a whole a RV Check Valve This is what we had to replace when we had the same problem. These seem to be pretty cheap and my experience with Ebay has been very good. There are several suppliers in the Ebay Stores.

Hope this helps?

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
tundra rose
Established Member

M.O.C. #1359
I believe this is the contact information for Lakeview RV:
Lakeview RV Supply, Inc
608 Flamingo Cove
Austin, TX 78734
Telephone: (512) 261-8000
Fax: (512) 261-7722
Products:
Plumbing Supplies & Equip.

I had a similar problem with our 2004 2955RL and found that it was not the antisiphon valve inside the sink cabinet. The holes in the spray head nozzle inside the black water holding tank were clogged with dried TP.

You can check the valve by removing it(disconnecting both lines) and connecting it to a water source. As I recall, I was able to remove the shower head and connect the hose to the input port. In my case, the valve worked fine.

If it's the spray head - two possible solutions: (1) let the holding tank soak with a heavy duty cleaner, e.g. Thetford Level Gauge Cleaner for a week or so; (2) mechanically clean the holes (which I let the local RV shop do, since I decided not to become a plumber many years ago).
tundra rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
I was very interested in your posts and problems with the black flush. Although we have had no problems (yet) with our black tank flush, we do get a little water back when I disconnect the line from the outside of the trailer after I flush and disconnect my hose. I checked the line which runs from the external hose connection then under our counter and finally disappears into the basement through the floor under the counter, and see no check valve anywhere. Am I missing something? I assume the anti-syphon valve would be quite obvious. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Les

Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Les,
Do you disconnect the hose from the tap first and let it drain before disconnecting from the convenience panel flush inlet?? I experienced the same exact thing, and since doing this have not had a problem. Hope this helps,
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Guys,
In answer to another topic about using different color hoses for fresh water and back flushing, that's why I mentioned that UNLESS you have a known good antisiphon valve in the back flush line, DON'T use your fresh water hose for back flushing. I believe the water that you are seeing when you remove the hose is actually seepage back through the antisiphon valve. Be cautious.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:43 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Orv,
I agree with what you are saying about the hoses and adhere to the different colored hose philosphy (that are both now in the propane cylinder compartments thanks to suggestions on this forum), but to clarify my statement: ours is a new unit and the slight back flow I was seeing was caused by the hose still being pressurized (possibly water from the inlet to the check valve). When I would loosen the hose from the convenience panel first, the water pressure itself caused a little flow out of the inlet (not enough to be concerned about). When I started loosening the other end of the hose first to depressurize and drain the hose, the slight leakage (backflow from the valve??) ceased. Live and learn I guess.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:51 AM   #9
bosan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6922
I asked my dealer for a plumbing diagram and they said none was available. It seams to me we owners should be allowed to have plumbing as well as wiring and hydraulic diagrams for our units.

Actually, why aren't they included in the 'owner's manual'?
bosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 AM   #10
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
In my 3400, the anti-siphon valve is under the sink in the bathroom. The water you get at the outside connection when you disconnect the hose is due to the anti-siphon action of the valve, which is higher than the connection (it breaks the potential siphon action from the tank at the valve, but allows the water to siphon from the valve back through the supply line, which means you don't have to winterize it). In addition, the check valve keeps any of the water, as well as any gases/odors, on the tank side of the valve from being drawn back or escaping under the sink. It's that check valve that has locked up on me, preventing any water from making it into the tank to flush it.

The combination of the anti-siphon and check valve should keep any black water or other contaminants from getting into the supply hose, but, just as Orv said, "should" is enough to make me have a separate hose for the flush function.

Bob
Old 09-07-2007, 06:00 AM   #11
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
In my 3400, the anti-siphon valve is under the sink in the bathroom. The water you get at the outside connection when you disconnect the hose is due to the anti-siphon action of the valve, which is higher than the connection (it breaks the potential siphon action from the tank at the valve, but allows the water to siphon from the valve back through the supply line, which means you don't have to winterize it). In addition, the check valve keeps any of the water, as well as any gases/odors, on the tank side of the valve from being drawn back or escaping under the sink. It's that check valve that has locked up on me, preventing any water from making it into the tank to flush it.

The combination of the anti-siphon and check valve should keep any black water or other contaminants from getting into the supply hose, but, just as Orv said, "should" is enough to make me have a separate hose for the flush function.

Bob
Old 09-07-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Thanks for the responses. Interesting topic!

In our old (2004) Monty there is no "convenience" center and the hose bib connection is well above the tank and the piping flows downhill all the way from the connection to the black tank. I am wondering whether an antisyphon valve was installed on my unit (I couldn't see one anywhere). Can anyone answer whether we should have had an anti-syphon valve?

By the way, we know this is a huge health issue and we have two hoses and never use our fresh water hose for anything but fresh water.

Thanks, Les
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #13
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have not had problems yet but have been looking..not been able to find the valve under the sink..but did find one in the panel under the tub. When I disconnect the black water back flush I get a short burst of water, which I thought it was the water in the line up to the valve I found under the tub..
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Funny this subject came up and all of a sudden I can't get any water into my flush.
Since I already have an appointment this coming Tuesday at the service center I'll let them figure it out and report back on their findings.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Someone mentioned the holes being blocked with dried TP on theirs. I wonder if using one of those valves used to blow out water lines with compressed air when winterizing would be of use? Maybe apply enough air pressure to clear the clog?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #16
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
My anti-siphon valve began leaking. I called the black tank flush manufacturer in Austin, TX and they sent me a new one at no charge.
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote