Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2023, 07:08 AM   #1
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Heading to Washington DC, from Florence SC

Hi all..,

the DW and i are heading to the DC area for museum's, the Wall (i'm a vietnam vet) and other landmarks in about 2 weeks. we live in Florence SC and wondering where else to visit and check out (any direction). we have no requirements to get back to SC as we're both retired.

we love oysters, so Chesapeake Bay for sure. thinking Virginia Beach also.

we're open to all suggestions for places to see, and places to stay that are reasonable. on another note, has anyone been to 'big river national park', or the smoky mountains?

thanks..,

ron-

Old 10-03-2023, 08:19 AM   #2
Chris K

M.O.C. #33429
Regulations dictate that you shouldn't be driving through the tunnel on 95 in Baltimore, no propane in the Harbor tunnel. I think you can take the Fort McHenry 895 tunnel but must stop for a propane tank inspection.
It's a great time of year to visit DC. Make sure to walk around the reflecting pond when visiting the Vietnam veterans wall.
A fun place for a meal is the warf on the Potomac River.
Safe travels!!
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 11:41 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Virginia Beach, try to get into Sea Mist at Damn Neck base. Or Ocean Pines at NAS Oceana. If not First Landing State park is nice. Water and electric only.
The 800 section of Holiday Travel park is nice.
Lots to do and see in VaB.
We normally go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, up US13 through Annapolis to avoid traffic on i95.
For DC area, try to get into Fort Belvoir. Very easy commute to downtown. Take the shuttles. Buy a Hop on Hop off (HOHO) bus ticket. Jump on and off where you want to go.
Check out the Army Museum next to Fort Belvoir. Very interesting.
Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Dulles is my favorite. You could spend days there it's so big.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 12:38 PM   #4
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Virginia Beach, try to get into Sea Mist at Damn Neck base. Or Ocean Pines at NAS Oceana.
i called... unless your at 100% benefit level that's a no-go.

thanks.. i'll take the other advice and report back..

r-
Old 10-03-2023, 12:52 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you cross the Bay bridge tunnel be sure to turn your propane tanks off.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 04:52 PM   #6
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Cherry Hill RV Park is in Beltsville, Maryland. Close to the Metro Station to get to DC.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 08:06 AM   #7
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
If you cross the Bay bridge tunnel be sure to turn your propane tanks off.
Lynwood
That's one of the things I do when closing up the Monty. Thanks.
Ron & Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 07:37 AM   #8
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Cherry Hill RV Park is in Beltsville, Maryland. Close to the Metro Station to get to DC.
i made a reservation here at Cherry Hill.. it's a bit expensive, but seems to be a great place. the woman i talked to when making the reservation was very helpful and nice. (we even talked about oysters in the area as my wife and i love blue points).

thanks for the tip..

r-
Old 10-05-2023, 09:22 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
IF you are planning on Virginia Beach, then check out First Landing State Park. It's North of Virginia Beach, maybe... 10 miles or so. This park use to be part of Fort Story (Army) and was their campground. Since then (1971 ish), the campground became a State Park and expanded. It's a great location, you have quite a lot of beach WITHOUT millions and millions of sun seekers and high rise motels claiming the properties along the water and won't let you even sit in the sand!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:33 PM   #10
Cbrez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28306
Since you’re a vet you should be able to get on the Washington Navy Yard. They have a beautiful museum on base that is well worth the time and never crowded. Pack a lunch and eat overlooking the Potomac River.

The Holiday Travel Park in Virginia Beach has super sites that are very nice. The park also has a free parking lot at the ocean front for registered guests. Hard to get a site on a weekend in October though. The park goes crazy with Halloween festivities.

First Landing State Park is beautiful but can be challenging for 35’+ rigs. We’ve stayed there several times and have the scares to show for it. The live oaks are tough.

I like driving up the eastern shore of Virginia/Maryland but make sure you are under 13’-6” high. A friend got turned around at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel because they triggered the over height sensor. Make sure your propane is turned off before you get to the tolls plaza.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:50 PM   #11
Cbrez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28306
If you go up the eastern shore Trap Pond State Park is very nice. The fried oysters at Abbotts On Broad Creek in Laurel MD were lightly breaded and delicious
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 07:17 AM   #12
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you have time, maybe go up the Outer Banks.
Overnight at Cedar Island NC (beware of the water there). In the morning take the ferry to Ocracoke Island. Stay at the NPS Campground (dry camping, no hook ups at all). Tour the island. We have stayed there for weeks. Love it. The sun rises and sunsets are breath taking. Make sure your propane tanks are full before you go They have no refill on the island.
Take the ferry to Hatteras. Stay at the NPS Campground (dry camping). Tour. Check out the museum there (if you don't want to camp there the museum parking lot is big rig friendly if you want to tour it and walk around town. Head on up to Kitty Hawk. Big rig friendly parking lot at the Wright Brothers museum.
Then on up to VA Beach.
Check the Ferry website for reservations and schedule.
Picture is sunset at the KoA Campground Cape Hatteras.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KOA sunset Hatteras.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	15694  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 11:08 AM   #13
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
IF you are planning on Virginia Beach, then check out First Landing State Park. It's North of Virginia Beach, maybe... 10 miles or so. This park use to be part of Fort Story (Army) and was their campground. Since then (1971 ish), the campground became a State Park and expanded. It's a great location, you have quite a lot of beach WITHOUT millions and millions of sun seekers and high rise motels claiming the properties along the water and won't let you even sit in the sand!
we have a reservation at First Landing for 4 nights. we got a spot across the street from the beach, site 178. dates are the oct. 29th - nov 2nd. i found that its a busy state park.. and thinking we were lucky to get 4 nights. as i looked all the weekends are booked out for quite some time and luckily we found four nights. in the future i'll plan way ahead for this park as i'm sure we'll be heading there again in the spring and summer.

thanks..

r-
Old 10-06-2023, 11:24 AM   #14
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
Since you’re a vet you should be able to get on the Washington Navy Yard. They have a beautiful museum on base that is well worth the time and never crowded. Pack a lunch and eat overlooking the Potomac River.

The Holiday Travel Park in Virginia Beach has super sites that are very nice. The park also has a free parking lot at the ocean front for registered guests. Hard to get a site on a weekend in October though. The park goes crazy with Halloween festivities.

First Landing State Park is beautiful but can be challenging for 35’+ rigs. We’ve stayed there several times and have the scares to show for it. The live oaks are tough.

I like driving up the eastern shore of Virginia/Maryland but make sure you are under 13’-6” high. A friend got turned around at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel because they triggered the over height sensor. Make sure your propane is turned off before you get to the tolls plaza.
totally up for the washington navy yard.. and our monty is all of 13'6'.. so we'll try a work around at the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel.

thanks..

r-
Old 10-06-2023, 11:27 AM   #15
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Thanks for all the great information... we totally appreciate all of the responses. This is our first time going up the eastern seaboard, and so does anyone have recommendations for the Boston area. We're gonna be up that way so i can't see a reason not to visit there also..

so far we have reservations at First Landing State Park, and Cherry Hill Park in DC.

thanks..

r-
Old 10-08-2023, 01:11 PM   #16
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Izzy View Post
i made a reservation here at Cherry Hill.. it's a bit expensive, but seems to be a great place. the woman i talked to when making the reservation was very helpful and nice. (we even talked about oysters in the area as my wife and i love blue points).

thanks for the tip..

r-

We have camped at Cherry Hill in the past and recommended it to our daughter who went there this year. It is a bit expensive, but it's a very nice campground, very well managed, clean, and has lots going for it. The information at the office is very helpful. Can't say enough good things about it. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 01:53 PM   #17
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
If you don’t spend a day and the Air and Space museum you will have missed the best aviation museum in the country. There you can see the original Wright Flyer. There’s also an Eastern Airlines DC-3 that hangs from the ceiling. My father flew that exact airplane!
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:06 AM   #18
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom woodward View Post
If you don’t spend a day and the Air and Space museum you will have missed the best aviation museum in the country. There you can see the original Wright Flyer. There’s also an Eastern Airlines DC-3 that hangs from the ceiling. My father flew that exact airplane!
i went there in the late 70's. totally awesome.. hopefully the DW will want to go there. when i went, they had a whole section dedicated to Star Trek, motor from an Apollo first stage, and other items you've mentioned. you could spend at least 2 days there.

thanks..
Old 10-10-2023, 03:54 PM   #19
SuperDuty2
Established Member

M.O.C. #9742
Going to Washington D C

I like all the suggestions so far. I was born in D C so I like all the monuments and Memorials Do you know the difference ? Monuments were started while the person was alive and they knew about it. Memorials are tributes after the person has died.
While at any of the Monuments and Memorials ask a park ranger with the smokey the bear hat for help. Ask about the history of the monument or memorial Do you know what is under the Lincoln memorial or how is the inside of the Washington Monument decorated. You can learn a lot about history. The whole museum complex has so much to offer, the Air and Space Museum, and so much more. Arlington is certainly worth a visit but you'll need to dress with no T shirts. Georgetown is a nice place to visit but its narrow streets make parking tough. Get a local representative to get you a White House tour pass. Always great to visit the White House but your representative will need to get you a pass. Maybe visit the Capitol and again , see what is required to enter the grounds. Finally watch your valuables. There are folks who will grab a purse and run so you need to not be a typical visitor.
SuperDuty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:10 AM   #20
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty2 View Post
I like all the suggestions so far. I was born in D C so I like all the monuments and Memorials Do you know the difference ? Monuments were started while the person was alive and they knew about it. Memorials are tributes after the person has died.
While at any of the Monuments and Memorials ask a park ranger with the smokey the bear hat for help. Ask about the history of the monument or memorial Do you know what is under the Lincoln memorial or how is the inside of the Washington Monument decorated. You can learn a lot about history. The whole museum complex has so much to offer, the Air and Space Museum, and so much more. Arlington is certainly worth a visit but you'll need to dress with no T shirts. Georgetown is a nice place to visit but its narrow streets make parking tough. Get a local representative to get you a White House tour pass. Always great to visit the White House but your representative will need to get you a pass. Maybe visit the Capitol and again , see what is required to enter the grounds. Finally watch your valuables. There are folks who will grab a purse and run so you need to not be a typical visitor.
thank you for your post.. it's very informative! Four days in DC.. not a lot, but we'll be coming back in the spring to visit the northern states and Canada in the spring.. so we'll have more time there.

r-