Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
Reese 16K Kwik Slide problem

I have a Reese 16K Kwik Slide on a short bed Dodge Ram. On a recent trip I could not get the slide mechanism to release from the towing position to the maneuvering position. After the trailer was removed I noticed that when I moved the lever from travel to maneuver the driver side of the hitch assembly was properly loose, but the passenger side was absolutely rigid. A fellow camper said that he worked for a RV repair shop and he had seen this problem. He said that he would repair the hitches by replacing the metal "dogs" that pinned the hitch in position. I have notified Reese and will see what they say, but I'm curious if others have had this problem also. Five years and about 25,000 miles of towing on this setup so far with no other problems with the hitch.

CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Hopefully you were able to unhitch it. I would remove the hitch,flip it over and lube all the points of contact and movement. The biggest problem I have ever seen is they are not serviced every year before use. I have the same hitch and do not have any issues with it.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I also have the Reese slider hitch and each year before installing it back in the TV I do as racerjoe says. I CLEAN the hitch and relube the whole thing. I use an spray on engine cleaner to clean it and then use spray on lube that will not attract and hold dirt and dust. I also use a lube plate on the hitch itself and lube the hitch plate with the same spray as the rest of moving parts of the hitch itself.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used to have that same hitch and had had that same problem a few times. It would not break loose to slide. A friend sprayed the heck out of it with a dry slide lubricant (for the fifthwheel slides) and that seemed to fix it. I had the same problem a couple more times and the same solution worked. I would think any good lubricant would do the trick but a dry lube would be preferable to avoid picking up dirt. Be sure to spray a lot inside the mechanism in any opening you can find. Maybe this would work for you?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
Thanks for the inputs. I've been spraying the jaw/spring mechanism pretty frequently, but not the slider latch section.I have a can of dry lube that I use for the slideouts, so I'll take that and douse the slider latch area from as many directions I can find.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote