Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Green Diesel Fuel

OK, so I'm used to seeing green diesel signs and green diesel pump handles, and I've even grown accustomed to seeing green faces across from me at the pumps when people watch the price thingy go round and round like a rabid squirrel.

Today though, in Texas at a Valero station, I actually pumped green diesel fuel. At first I'm thinkin', could this be Chicago on St. Patty's day? Then I realized, no this is Texas! The dew point is like a half degree below the current temp and it's April 30. Not Chicago!

What's up with the green diesel? I've heard of pink 'farm diesel' but green?

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Green sometimes clear diesel fuel is for on the road use only. The pink or red diesel fuel is for off-road use only (farm, heavy equipment or any vehicles/equipment use not for over the road use)! I have seen some people use the pink/red in their pickups and if they ever get pulled over by the DOT and they test their fuel they are in some really big trouble with some really sizable fines! You have to watch closely at some stations now because some (BP is one) that have the green coverings on their pump handles and are NOT diesel! Almost put ethanol in my TV one day at a station because they had green covers on their gas handles also. Caught it just intime!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
In Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana you will see some stations that are pumping green colored diesel. It is road diesel. I guess the people making it just like green. You also have to watch anymore at the pumps because those green handles are not necessary diesel.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
You do have to really watch at the stations because there is no uniform pattern for the diesel pumps. I always double check the pump visually and I usually smell the pump as a second check.

As far as the diesel being green.... The stuff I pump has always been either almost clear or a definite green. As others have already pointed out that is normal on the road fuel. I've fueled up at stations where they have the off road diesel (pink or red) pumps as wel as the regular green on the road stuff. Just make sure you don't fuel up with the pink.... We were checked at Quartzsite a couple of years ago. The AZ DOT was conducting the testing. They stuck a long clear plastic tube down our filler. Didn't see them giving tickets to anyone but I didn't stay too long.

Travel safely, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I guess we are used to the greenish color in the fuel here in Texas and think nothing of it anymore. How ever, we do, in some areas, celebrate St. Patty's day.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:12 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
X2, 3 & 4 on checking the pump to make sure it's diesel. After one time of picking up a green handle only to learn about half way to the filler tube (gut feeling - thank you) I found out it was 87 octane regular.

Now, I look at the green handle, look at the words to see if it says diesel, then make my move. I never noticed the color, but I know that the pink/red is off road use only.

Thanks for shaking the memory again.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hmmm, how are y'all noticing the color of the diesel? I usually put the pump into the tank filler hole and unless it overfills or I slop it around when removing the pump from tank there's no way I'm going to see the color of the diesel.

I haven't smelled it but guess maybe I should start doing that, just in case. I guess diesel smells oily while gasoline does not? What's the odoriferous (is that a word?) difference? In other words, what does diesel smell like, oil?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I've noticed up north I typically will see green fuel when the station has switched over to their summer blend. I admit that I am one of those that will fill the tank to the very top of the fuel neck every time - easy to see the different colors of fuel.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Steve you need to stop and smell the diesel!Actually, I know the difference in the color since I'm like Montana Sky and I usually fill the TV to near the top of the fill tube! Of course you have to watch it because of the foaming of the diesel and the color can be seen then! I also have a compact diesel tractor out on the farm and to fill it I buy the diesel in 5 gallon cans. IF I can find the off road diesel I use it, but if not I use the green stuff! Old dude-- from what I've seen when in Texas it does not have to be St Patty's Day to do the green celebrating!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OK, that makes sense. I do usually fill it to the top, especially if prices are going up or I think they will be. So I do see the foam. However, I suspect the reason I've not noticed a green color is I'm a bit color blind. Not totally but enough I might not notice the green unless it's a pretty vivid green.

In the past sometimes the diesel pump has had yellow covers on the handles instead of green but around here I notice yellow is used for bio-fuel, like E85.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I do wish that all stations including truck stops would use a uniform color code on the handles. I have seen colors on the handles and I’m always watching and trying to be very careful. I haven’t messed up and used the wrong fuel yet but hopefully I won’t.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
Gasoline and diesel fuel smell very different. I don't know how to describe the difference in words but if you take a good whiff of both, I doubt you will ever forget the difference. Diesel smells terrible. If you put your nose any where near the filler on your vehicle while pumping diesel you will smell it. On a fairly still day I can smell it 10 feet away from the fuel nozzle when I'm filling up. No matter how careful I am when filling up I also get that smell on my hands. Nothing I know of smells like diesel.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve,
The color is pretty subtle. If you are color blind you may well miss the slight greenish shade. Regarding the smell..... to me diesel has a distinct oily odor. Gasoline, of course, has that very distinct gas smell. There is no mistaking the gas. Diesel is less odorous but still very easy to detect. Stick your nose down close to the fill area and test it. You'll quickly detect the smell.

Good luck. Dennis
Old 05-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
I always thought diesel was colored green to remind us how much green stuff (money) it takes to fill the tank.
restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Another way I can tell if it's diesel is I'm usually standing in it and it has a noticeably heavier texture on the ground than gasoline.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks Dennis , I love that. Those diesel pumps are fun after a rain
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the help on the smell. Gas I know the smell of although I thought it smelled "better" prior to taking all the lead out.

I'll sniff next time I'm filling the tank.

Dave, I don't get the smell on my hands. I keep a right-handed glove in the pocket on the driver's door for filling with diesel. I guess I could go sniff that glove. Oddly, although the glove is discolored it doesn't smell up the cab. If it did, it wouldn't be kept inside.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by restez

I always thought diesel was colored green to remind us how much green stuff (money) it takes to fill the tank.
We bought our first diesel pickup in 1999. At the time diesel was considerably cheaper than gas. If I remember correctly diesel was running about 50 cents per gallon while gas was going for just under a dollar!

Of course as soon as we started traveling diesel started its upward climb and has yet to stop! Bummer!

Travel safely, Dennis
Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Dennis I bought my Dodge in 99 and that was one of the main reasons diesel was cheaper that gas. I'm still trying to figure out "WHAT HAPPENED". I stopped in baltimore to fill up in 01 I think and diesel was 1.67 and I got 10.00$ told the DW I would not pay that much but I had to pay more in pa. Boy love to see those prices again. Still love the diesel!!
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
If I get a new truck (not brand new) I will have to put a sign on the filler door that states: Hey Dummy!! Make sure you put the correct fuel in the tank!!!
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote