Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Door lock change

Some one told me that the door locks for RVs are very similiar and if you had a dealer key you can get into most any RV. Is that true and would it be worth changing the front door lock? Thanks

mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Last I heard was there are 4 to six patterns for not just door locks but storage compartments, too. Then there is a master key that opens all of them anyway. It's so easy to get into them, I have left my rig at the dealers several times and commented "Oops, I forgot to leave the keys". Their reply is "Don't bother, we've got the keys for any rig".

The lock is just a deterrent "suggestion". If you want something more substantial it will take some work and looking and if you do, the lowlifes might notice and think you have something better to hide.

I think an audible alarm would probably be an effective deterrent. There are several MOCers who have gone this route. This is just my sense on RV security and I feel fortunate that we have not had a mishap... yet.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Storage compartments have been for quite some time all 751 keys. Some have changed the lock barrels for new keys, etc. but, you can pop those doors open with a screw driver, causing of course a bit of damage.

Door locks, IIRC, the deadbolt has a lot more key choices and the dealers do not have those?? Main lock, they can get into, but not if you lock the dead bolt. I am sure if my pre-java brain has that mixed up someone will correct me!

As far as changing any of the locks, that would be your call, your comfort level.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Yes Mrs Countryguy is right when they delivered my camper they told me there key wouldnt unlock the dead bolt only the regular lock but i am sure some of them do have the dead bolt key at the dealership as well. but locks only keep the honest people out anyway,if the crook wants in it doesnt matter what lock you have..
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
At my dealer I forgot and left the dead bolt locked and had to return back to unlock it. However for ever lock somewhere there is a master key. Like was said above the lock is to keep the honest person out.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I work pt at oue car/rv dealership and have at home a set of master keys. These master keys will let me in thru the handle lock but will not open any dead bolts. That's why Mudchief had to return to the dealer to open the dead bolt.
If you want to install an alarm system, don't forget to figure in the cost for all the windows also, if the thieves can't get thru the door, they'll go to the windows.
Mrs Countryguy covered the storage compartments quite well.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:09 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
As other have stated there really isn't a good way to secure a RV. A thief will get in if they want to. We very seldom lock any thing. However we do have a Furr Kid "Montana" and we don't want him to be locked inside in case of a emergency. Everything we take in the RV is replaceable and in most of the RV parks we stay in we haven't ever had a problem. You can change all the locks to the barrel type but a 6" screw driver will open any compartment or door on a 5th wheel. And the compartment door are very expensive to replace. Its a choice ??? GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
Lawman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7940
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Storage compartments have been for quite some time all 751 keys. Some have changed the lock barrels for new keys, etc. but, you can pop those doors open with a screw driver, causing of course a bit of damage.

Door locks, IIRC, the deadbolt has a lot more key choices and the dealers do not have those?? Main lock, they can get into, but not if you lock the dead bolt. .
This is my understanding. When I took my RV in for some minor repair, the shop supervisor asked if the dead bolt was unlocked, he said he could get into the other locks without my key.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Ours was picked up by a transport company and taken to the factory for repairs.
The transporter said to lock all locks and keep the keys. He said they were not allowed
to have keys while transporting.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Sounds like I will have to leave all my gold bricks buried in the back yard. Have a 65 ld dog but she would just lick you to death. Thanks for the insight.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
I agree that a determined thief is going to get in no matter what. I did change my compartment locks to keep the guy in the Wal-Mart parking lot from running around sticking his CH751 key into a lock and rummaging through the compartments acting like he belongs there. If they are going to do a forced entry at least they won't look like they belong!
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I guess the odds have been with us. Been Rv'ing for 25 years plus. This is our 5th RV. Been is scores of Campgrounds all over the country. Never changed any locks. Never been broken into and never have known personally of anyone having anything taken or their camper being broken into.. Helen and I did sell campers at RV shows a few years back and we could open any door or any compartment on any RV.......so there..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Door locks, IIRC, the deadbolt has a lot more key choices and the dealers do not have those?? Main lock, they can get into, but not if you lock the dead bolt. I am sure if my pre-java brain has that mixed up someone will correct me!

As far as changing any of the locks, that would be your call, your comfort level.
ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
You are right on all your thoughts. The deadbolt is your safety lock. Use that to secure your rig. I have found a round combination lock that fits perfect to replace the barrel locks on the storage doors. They are at PTL motorhomes.com part no.31-007 ask for earl 800 755-4775
ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #15
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I think a bunch of the locks that Keystone uses come from this organization. Check out this site and click on what you want. RV, Armored Car, Trucks, etc......JB

http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zCategory.aspx?intcategoryid=176
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #16
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I guess the odds have been with us. Been Rv'ing for 25 years plus. This is our 5th RV. Been is scores of Campgrounds all over the country. Never changed any locks. Never been broken into and never have known personally of anyone having anything taken or their camper being broken into.
Same here.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I bought locks from Home Depot that fit and work fine. They have many more tumblers that have to match the key then the factory ones. All I used was the tumbler insert and left the rest of the hardware the original. If you do this get all you need at same store visit, I didn't count correctly and lucked out finding more at another store with the same key code. You also have to have the correct length of the threaded portion to get everything to work. Take yours with you and match it up.

Only problems I remember concerned the water filler door and the outside shower door. I had to work on the inside latch portion. If you don't do these two then you have two keys to keep track of.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
We changed the door deadbolt to a standard house style lock. We also added a backup plate to the storage doors and added a standard deadbolt to them as well. The doors to the storage areas are foam filled and can be easily broken into but at least we make it a bit more difficult for the nasties.

Judi
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #19
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
This year I decided I didn't want everyone out there to have access to the
compartment door on our 2007 Monty 2955RL.

Bought combination locks, and installed them myself. Piece of cake to open
except when it is dark, and then you need to use a flashlight to check the 3 tumblers
on the combinations, the numbers are pretty small.

Check out the following website: ttp://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/combination-cam-lock.htm
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by klash

This year I decided I didn't want everyone out there to have access to the
compartment door on our 2007 Monty 2955RL.

Bought combination locks, and installed them myself. Piece of cake to open
except when it is dark, and then you need to use a flashlight to check the 3 tumblers
on the combinations, the numbers are pretty small.

Check out the following website: ttp://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/combination-cam-lock.htm
Those look pretty neat. Kinda spendy but probably worth it.