Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #21
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Has anybody with problems just bite the bullet and had the old landing gear replaced with hydraulic landing equipment?? Curious who did the work and what was the cost. From the ones i have seen on some SOB's, they sure seem to work smoother, less effort/strain and somewhat faster.
Randy

Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I would think that a relay simular to the one used on the hyd. pump to run both motors with one sw. would solve the problem of the motors running separetly. Also no heavy load on the sw./sws. to cause a problem down the road. Just an observation and sugestion.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #23
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hi all I heard from the RV repair company, and the extended warentee will honor the estimate, I will have to pay $50 deductible and frieght, all else is covered, $484.00 and they come out from Tucson and install it.Thats about 30 miles one way.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #24
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
I'm a little confused on why there are landing gear failures. I haven't recieved my Monty yet so I don't quite know how to relate to this. I never had a problem with my Alpenlite. I just lowered both indepentdently untill the slack was taken out of both when on the ground then extend both at the same time and when retracting both go up at the same time. Doesn't the landing gear work separate from each other if you are uneven ground for do you have to level block first before running down the landing gear?Or is just cheap chinese parts.

Hopefully they fixed this in 2010.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #25
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mike,
The landing legs on the Montanas that I've seen operate on one motor and both move up and down at the same time. They are not independently operable. You can lower or raise part of the leg. You just pull the pin and let the legs go to the ground. Replace the pin and then operate the electric motor.

I may be misunderstanding what you are talking about. I apologize if I am.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #26
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Mike,
The landing legs on the Montanas that I've seen operate on one motor and both move up and down at the same time. They are not independently operable. You can lower or raise part of the leg. You just pull the pin and let the legs go to the ground. Replace the pin and then operate the electric motor.

I may be misunderstanding what you are talking about. I apologize if I am.

Dennis
You are understanding me right. Looks like I will be riveling out the landing pad with blocks so there will be equal weight on each leg. That is ging to an extra PITA to do that every time. So when they say a two motor system that means a motor for each leg?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:21 AM   #27
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Yes, I don't know about all Montana's but my 3485SA has one motor and gear box. So yes when you run them down, if the land is unlevel you use blocks and the extendable lower legs to make them lift at the same time,puting the weight on both at the same time. To keep undue stress on the frame, so it won't be tweaked, or not to bend the legs which can happen. If that happens it can bind and wreak the gears or burn out the motor. The RV Repair shop is going to show me how to lube the legs to help keep them in good working order, since I will only be having the motor and gear box replaced on the original side. If it goes out in 2 1/2 years again then I will have two motors and gears boxes installed and the frame by lippert will be out of wareentee by then and won't matter if the frame is twisted a little.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #28
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
randye,

You might want to consider one of these Fifth Wheel Leg Leveler from Camping World. We've had one for years, and are very satisfied with the way it works.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:04 AM   #29
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I use what simonsrf uses and nary a problem in three years......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #30
bobivy
Established Member

M.O.C. #9557
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

randye,

You might want to consider one of these Fifth Wheel Leg Leveler from Camping World. We've had one for years, and are very satisfied with the way it works.
I use mine on every trip.
bobivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #31
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:

randye,

That look like it will work great and get rid of the blocks unless you run out of threads.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #32
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mojavemike

Quote:

randye,

That look like it will work great and get rid of the blocks unless you run out of threads.
You shouldn't run out of thread, just extend or retract the leg depending on which way it needs to go...you'll figure out your procedure, but we drop the opposite leg, then adjust the scrrew leg to fit.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #33
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mojavemike

Quote:

randye,

That will work. Thanks, Mike
You shouldn't run out of thread, just extend or retract the leg depending on which way it needs to go...you'll figure out your procedure, but we drop the opposite leg, then adjust the scrrew leg to fit.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #34
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Mike thanks for the info and the leg extetion, does look like it will make it easier to set up. Update on the Motor and parts. Just waiting for the RV repair to call saying parts are in and a date to come and install. It has been wet and windy here for the last few days and they will most likely wait until next week the sun is suppose to shine again. Later.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #35
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Our Landing Gear motor stopped working when we got to FL in Nov. We just took delivery of our unit 08 (sat on dealers lot for two years. The problem was: no fuse blown, no sound of clicking...nothing. What happened was the brushes were stuck open. All I did was to hit the motor with a hammer...very lightly. Then it worked fine. My dealer sent me a new motor down here. The motor that was on my unit was from CHINA! My new motor was from some place in IL, made in the USA.
I wonder if I should worry? Works good now....Yes, it does take time to use the manual handle supplied with our Montana's, but it works!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #36
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Is this problem with the 2955 also. The hitch weight is from 300-500 lbs less than the bigger units. Doesn't seem that it would make that much difference. Am I right to assume that the landing gear assemblies are all the same with all sizes of Montanas?.