Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
How off level can coach be to use slide outs

I want to use my slide outs and have been told that it should be level front to rear and right to left. Where I park my coach it has a slight pitch to the lot. Probably no more than a bubble width on a level. I would imagine this is 2-3" max. maybe less. I want to run them out as is so I can work on coach. I know in the field not every site will be plumbed level and perfect and we will all do best to get it level but there should be an acceptabel amount of tolerance. Am I ok?
I imagine when doing a quick overnight stop in rest area, walmart etc pulling in late many run them out and don't even unhitch. they accept what the parking lot offers.
New unit don't want to damage it.
Thanks
Bob

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have a 7" pitch in the street infront of the house. I run one side of the coach up onto boards that help level everything out. Even with all that I am still approx. 2" off level from left to right and I have not had any trouble with the slides. Actually my lake spot all summer is 1.5" off left to right and everything is running smooth. I would not try to open slides if I were more than 2-3 inches off as I am sure something could bind. Congrats on your new coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Most of us carry some type of blocking system to adjust the left to right variances. I use the yellow oversized Leggos. With them, I can make the adjustments in 1" to 1-1/2" increments by just building the blocks into a staired ramp for one side or the other.. Having said that, I have had the occasion to run the slides out without the unit being perfectly level with no negative effects.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hello All,
I had the opportunity to visit the Keystone plant and took the tour.
One of my questions was exactly what your asking.
Their answer was the Rig should be as close to level at all times, even in storage. I was told it could not only damage the slides but also cause frame problems if your unit is parked unlevel for any length of time.
I don't think a inch or two would cause a serious problem, but it only takes a few minutes to block her up so she sits level. If I pull in a Walmart or someplace, and it's really unlevel and I'm staying all night I do disconnect enough to bring her up level, and maybe put a board or two under the wheels. I do this because of the fridge, when your moving your Ok because you keep the fluid moving, but parked over night could cause you a problem there.
I do everything possible to keep everything running smoothly.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I saw a dealer moving a 5th wheel with the slides out. Guess they think that they are built strong enough to withstand moving them.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:19 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I always thought the "conventional wisdom" to be that 1) if you are within one bubble, that's good enough for the equipment and 2) if you're comfortable, so is the fridge. We tend to level as close as we can just so we don't feel like we're walking downhill and so doors don't swing on their own very much, etc., but we're living in it. I'd try to level it better if you can but wouldn't worry too much about it if you can't get better than one bubble off. Just my opinion and others may not agree.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I asked the service manager at the dealer I bought mine at and he said "no more than 35 degrees" he has never heard of one being damaged by not being level.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:05 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Your original post mentioned this is where you keep your rig - I put 2 X 12s down (width of the TT + a little slightly buried) just in the area of the tires. This keeps them off the ground, I can tell when I'm right where I want to be in the mirror, and they are level so all have to worry about is front to back with the tongue jack.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
We don't have as much camping experience as the others have but have found it to be a good habit to get into, to try level the 5er each time we set up at a camp site. As Steve pointed out, the refrigerator needs it to be level to operate efficently and doors swinging open when not latched can be annoying also. We use a 24" level and usually try to get it within 1/2 of a bubble, which is not hard to do at most sites. We also have found out that its much easier to level the 5er as the first step after backing in a site then to not to and unhook and wish we had later on. Good luck on your leveling and hope you find a process that works for you.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote