Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2023, 07:51 PM   #1
Monti gren

M.O.C. #31232
Trailer towing on my 5er

I have a 2022 Montana 3231CK, I was wondering if anyone has ever towed a small trailer. The hitch says tong weight is 300 pounds, it can tow a 3000 pound trailer. Next summer we are going on a work camping trip and I would like to tow my Harley Fatboy with us.

Monti gren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:08 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You need to check with your state motor vehicle department to see what you are allowed to tow or even if you can double tow. Many states require a license similar to a commercial license if they do have provisions for double towing. If your trailer does not have electrical at that rear hitch for connecting another trailer, that would be another thing that would need to be addressed. If your state does allow double towing, you might not be allowed in other states you would be traveling to.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:42 PM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monti gren View Post
I have a 2022 Montana 3231CK, I was wondering if anyone has ever towed a small trailer. The hitch says tong weight is 300 pounds, it can tow a 3000 pound trailer. Next summer we are going on a work camping trip and I would like to tow my Harley Fatboy with us.
I don’t blame you. I would tow a fishing boat if I could. But I live in Oregon and double towing isn’t allowed here. There are states that do so check with yours and what they would require. If I could I would…so go for it.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:53 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Some people have had a heavier duty hitch installed to remove any doubt about the capabilities of towing a trailer. And I have seen some pretty heavy trailers being towed behind a 5er.

There are any number of web sites on the web about it but they sometimes do not always agree on what each state allows. Note that is often referred to as "triple towing". That is a term typically used in the RV world to describe a tow vehicle and two towed vehicles, meaning three vehicles, meaning triple tow. In the commercial towing world it is called double tow or double bottom. A quick search shows some sites show Texas does not allow it, whereas others say Texas does allow it. Unless something has changed, Texas does allow it. It would be best to check directly with each state you plan to tow in to make sure it is allowed, and the total allowable overall length if they do allow it. Especially important if you plan on towing across multiple states.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #5
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
no third a/c

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Some people have had a heavier duty hitch installed to remove any doubt about the capabilities of towing a trailer. And I have seen some pretty heavy trailers being towed behind a 5er.

There are any number of web sites on the web about it but they sometimes do not always agree on what each state allows. Note that is often referred to as "triple towing". That is a term typically used in the RV world to describe a tow vehicle and two towed vehicles, meaning three vehicles, meaning triple tow. In the commercial towing world it is called double tow or double bottom. A quick search shows some sites show Texas does not allow it, whereas others say Texas does allow it. Unless something has changed, Texas does allow it. It would be best to check directly with each state you plan to tow in to make sure it is allowed, and the total allowable overall length if they do allow it. Especially important if you plan on towing across multiple states.
I thought if your registered state allows it you are good in any state you travel through. I travel up and down the East Coast and see triple tow people in all the different states from time to time. Maybe they're just renegades. Personally, I wouldn`t trust the hitch on the back of any factory trailer. There are many bolt/weld-to-the-frame receivers for sale on the net rated for more than the crap keystone provides. Of course, this will void the warranty if you do.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 09:17 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
I thought if your registered state allows it you are good in any state you travel through. I travel up and down the East Coast and see triple tow people in all the different states from time to time. …….
Never tried it. Reading thru multiple web sites it seems that towing restrictions/allowances are not reciprocal state to state. Probably just depends on the LEO you happen to encounter. Most probably just turn their heads unless something gets their attention. Worse case you get stopped, get a ticket or warning, and are required to drop the 2nd trailer and come later to get it.
Old 10-24-2023, 12:50 PM   #7
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
nightmare

Quote:
I thought if your registered state allows it you are good in any state you travel through. I travel up and down the East Coast and see triple tow people in all the different states from time to time. Maybe they're just renegades. Personally, I wouldn`t trust the hitch on the back of any factory trailer. There are many bolt/weld-to-the-frame receivers for sale on the net rated for more than the crap keystone provides. Of course, this will void the warranty if you do.
Then I suppose truckers and they all triple tow nowadays have a special license that covers all states. And we aren`t allowed to have that. The only reason I`m interested in this is we are considering pulling a smaller golf cart on a trailer to our favorite campground 4 states away. The Swivel Wheel brand is not considered a triple tow due to the double connection to the camper frame. I would think a LEO that makes someone drop a boat on the side of the road behind a 5th wheel is just bored. He knows you`re on your way out of state and just passing through. You would have to call a tow truck to take it somewhere and store it till you got back. Just a nightmare for everyone. Research is needed.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 01:41 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
…. I would think a LEO that makes someone drop a boat on the side of the road behind a 5th wheel is just bored. He knows you`re on your way out of state and just passing through. You would have to call a tow truck to take it somewhere and store it till you got back. Just a nightmare for everyone. Research is needed.
I suspect the great majority of LEOs would not stop you unless you were doing something else like 60 in a 40 or running a red light or some other traffic infraction. But there is always going to be that one who would pull you over and make you drop the trailer. And especially so if that driver gave the LEO some mouth about being pulled over.

I have read before on another forum of someone who had to drop a boat trailer, take their 5er and park it, and return for the boat. Don’t remember the circumstances.

It’s my understanding that commercial truckers have to have extra training to tow two trailers (called double tow in commercial world/triple tow in RV world). Commercial towing of three trailers is only legal in 13 states I think.
Old 10-24-2023, 03:40 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Commercial truckers have a CDL A license, and that license is recognized in all states. In some states, towing our fifth wheel trailers, especially over 15,000 lbs, requires a non-commercial A license.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 05:19 PM   #10
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
Here’s a link that provides state by state information for overall length restrictions and combination restrictions.

https://fifthwheelst.com/rv-size-lim...tion%2065%20ft.

In my experience, in a non commercial vehicle situation, if the vehicle is registered in a state that allows triples and you are operating in a state that restricts triples, many of the LEOs will not bother you. However if the vehicle is registered in a state that restricts triples and you are operating in a state that restricts triples, they will stop you. They can site you and release you or they can order the vehicle parked.
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 05:24 PM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
In Texas a class A non commercial license is required if the combined total of the GVWR of the truck and the GVWR of the trailer exceeds 26,000 lbs. Doesn’t matter if they only weigh 20,000 lbs, it is the weight ‘rating’ that matters.

A commercial CDL is recognized in all states. But I believe at least some states requires a CDL with an endorsement to pull 2 or 3 trailers.
Old 10-24-2023, 05:53 PM   #12
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
I’ve had my cdl A with double and triple and hazmat endorsements for over 40 years. I still have it, coincidentally went for my DOT physical today, even though I’ve been retired 7 years. I figure you never know when you may need it. Most likely it’ll be right after I give it up. Anyway, my license was issued by NY, even though NY does not allow triples. Commercial triples is 3 trailers. They do allow commercial doubles (2 trailers) but do not allow RV triples (tow vehicle and 2 trailers) NY tests for and issues the licenses for when driving in states that allow it. All cdl licenses have to be issued in your home state. Years ago, a trucker could hold licenses from more than one state, but all the states cdl laws now operate under the guide of the Fed DOT
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 06:52 PM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Always good to hear it from someone who has lived it.
Old 10-25-2023, 06:55 PM   #14
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Another Option

Talked to a guy at Nellis AFB that had one with his bike on it. Absolutely loved it.

https://youtu.be/gauBPkJigNg?si=wiIQsYrlCepVcclo
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 02:58 PM   #15
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Followed a Monty on I 35 yesterday toing a double axle trailer. Towing with a SRW F 350. Prob heading for Texas with his golf cart.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 04:03 PM   #16
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Saw an SRW a number of years ago towing a 5er (not a Monte) with a two axle trailer behind loaded with an early 60’s beautifully restored Pontiac convertible towing thru the mountains of Colorado. Going to a show somewhere I guess as we saw a number of other classic cars being driven or towed in the same area.
Old 10-29-2023, 06:08 PM   #17
BrianMi

M.O.C. #26403
Michigan double law

You can haul a Recreational double in Michigan with either a CDL or obtain a Recreational Double endorsement at the DMV. Must be a 5th wheel and no longer than 60ft. And chains attached to the farthest point with left and right chains.
I am not a lawyer so I offer no advice
BrianMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:52 PM   #18
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
The weak point in this concept I've seen evidence of in the 18 years I've been on this site has proven to be not the hitch itself, but weak points in the framework in the forward part of the coach. Have seen many pictures of Montes coming apart due to overloading from double towing.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:42 PM   #19
Majorpolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #19958
Overall length

The biggest obstacle here is your total overall length. Even if a state allows doubles watch the total length requirement. I was excited to get my 2021 3781RL. Hung my trailer on the back with my Goldwing on it and measured the rig. It was several feet too long. A real bummer.
Majorpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:20 AM   #20
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
I am with Clyde, I would be more concerned about the ability to actually confidently tow a trailer with the factory mounted hitch and really would be concerned on how much stress is being dispersed to other portions of the trailer frame knowing it was not truly designed for any heavy type towing verses a cargo rack on the back????