Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
ncrzrbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #17265
Road armor Suspension

Was looking at a 2018 on Dealers lot and noticed Montana has the Road armor by Lippert and also a Road Armor TrailAire kingpin. It was first time to see these. Checked the new brochure and found there as well. Just asking if anyone else has noticed this and your thoughts. Looks like they have changed from Moorryde?

ncrzrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrzrbk View Post
Was looking at a 2018 on Dealers lot and noticed Montana has the Road armor by Lippert and also a Road Armor TrailAire kingpin. It was first time to see these. Checked the new brochure and found there as well. Just asking if anyone else has noticed this and your thoughts. Looks like they have changed from Moorryde?
They changed from MORryde as part of the September 2017 changes. At that time the kingpin changed to Rotaflex and the suspension to Road Armor. Then about a week ago I saw that they changed the kingpin again. This time to Road Armor. Not sure why so many changes in a short time. Another change last week was elimination of the living room carpet in the 3791RD. After the September changes the living room carpet was continued, but no more. The window trims in all units also changed last week. Personally I think some of the changes cheapen the look.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:41 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
They changed from MORryde as part of the September 2017 changes. At that time the kingpin changed to Rotaflex and the suspension to Road Armor. Then about a week ago I saw that they changed the kingpin again. This time to Road Armor. Not sure why so many changes in a short time. Another change last week was elimination of the living room carpet in the 3791RD. After the September changes the living room carpet was continued, but no more. The window trims in all units also changed last week. Personally I think some of the changes cheapen the look.
We recently bought a built in September 3791RD and if it hadn't had carpet in the LR it would have been a deal killer. We have the Road Armor suspension and the Rotaflex kingpin and it seems to work just as well as the MorRyde we had in the 2012 3585SA. We are very happy with the new Montana after 6 weeks full timing in it.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
ncrzrbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #17265
We were looking at the 3791RD. Really like the extra storage.
2019 Montana 3791RD
Old 12-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
These are vendor bids and the lowest get the business.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
We recently bought a built in September 3791RD and if it hadn't had carpet in the LR it would have been a deal killer. We have the Road Armor suspension and the Rotaflex kingpin and it seems to work just as well as the MorRyde we had in the 2012 3585SA. We are very happy with the new Montana after 6 weeks full timing in it.
Although very disappointed in the removal of carpeting in the living room, I am thinking of investing in a nice area rug. Unfortunately that would require rolling it up every time you close the slides but what else is there to do if you want that floorplan?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #7
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
These are vendor bids and the lowest get the business.
Are they bidding every couple of months? Since the September changes there have been two pin box changes, window covering changes and the carpet removal. I would rather see modest price increases than a cheaper product. It's also hard to order a unit that takes a couple of months or so to deliver not knowing what changes they might make during that time.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Lippert has (or did have) a very similar equalizer aftermarket product to the Road Armor rubber cushioned equalizer called Equa/Flex. It had a competitor of similar design called EZ Flex by Dexter which Road Armor is putting down in it's current video. I put the Equa/Flex on my 2005 Montana because it had plain steel equalizers ... there was a noticeable difference in how the fiver took bumps in the road. Then MorRyde came out with the LRE suspension and the replaceable rubber shear springs standard on early 20teen Montana's. It worked pretty well on my 2011 Montana, but the shear springs failed on me the second year of ownership. Also, since the center mount for the shear springs stuck down so far, it created the need for Lippert to push installing the XFactor cross beam because of the twisting effect the longer mount created on the frame's IBeams during tight turns. Soooooooooo now we have another version of a equalizer invention in the Road Armor. I wonder what will be the next flavor of suspension upgrade? There ya have suspension 101 ... class dismissed.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Lippert has (or did have) a very similar equalizer aftermarket product to the Road Armor rubber cushioned equalizer called Equa/Flex. It had a competitor of similar design called EZ Flex by Dexter which Road Armor is putting down in it's current video. I put the Equa/Flex on my 2005 Montana because it had plain steel equalizers ... there was a noticeable difference in how the fiver took bumps in the road. Then MorRyde came out with the LRE suspension and the replaceable rubber shear springs standard on early 20teen Montana's. It worked pretty well on my 2011 Montana, but the shear springs failed on me the second year of ownership. Also, since the center mount for the shear springs stuck down so far, it created the need for Lippert to push installing the XFactor cross beam because of the twisting effect the longer mount created on the frame's IBeams during tight turns. Soooooooooo now we have another version of a equalizer invention in the Road Armor. I wonder what will be the next flavor of suspension upgrade? There ya have suspension 101 ... class dismissed.
Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge in this area. It looks like Keystone has more work to do to get it right.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
Quote:
Although very disappointed in the removal of carpeting in the living room, I am thinking of investing in a nice area rug. Unfortunately that would require rolling it up every time you close the slides but what else is there to do if you want that floorplan?
There are alternatives if you want this floor plan. I saw it on Grand Design before Montana, Jayco also have it. My 3791 has the LR carpet, manufactured late October.
whiterose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterose View Post
There are alternatives if you want this floor plan. I saw it on Grand Design before Montana, Jayco also have it. My 3791 has the LR carpet, manufactured late October.
I know the 3791 had carpet in the RD even after the September changes. It was changed in late November or early December as best as I can tell. I've looked at the 2018 GD Solitude and Jayco models with rear den and they do not have carpet in the living areas as well. There are too many other features I like about the Montana, such as the curved ceiling, recessed lighting, and other little things that will probably keep me from jumping ship to SOB.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
ncrzrbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #17265
I to looked at those other brands. I like the Jayco but it doesn’t have the same storage below the den as do the GD and Montana. I would prefer to stay with Montana as well.
2019 Montana 3791RD
Old 12-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Are they bidding every couple of months? Since the September changes there have been two pin box changes, window covering changes and the carpet removal. I would rather see modest price increases than a cheaper product. It's also hard to order a unit that takes a couple of months or so to deliver not knowing what changes they might make during that time.
This is nothing new it has been that way for years changes have been made on the assembly line.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #14
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
What ever they have on the self is what go's on that day! They all do that!
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A word on carpeting. We are long timers which means we spend a lot of time living in our Montana.We live in it 6 months straight during the winter and all told about 9 months of the year. Carpeting looks pretty but collects dust, dirt and just about everything else.Helen cleans it twice a year. It is also not exactly high quality carpet and will wear in high use areas pretty fast . We would not have carpeting in another RV as just about anything else will be easier to maintain. Some here are full timers that are 24/7/365 would like to hear from them on carpeting. It does appear that many manufacturers are moving away from carpeting.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #16
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
A word on carpeting. We are long timers which means we spend a lot of time living in our Montana.We live in it 6 months straight during the winter and all told about 9 months of the year. Carpeting looks pretty but collects dust, dirt and just about everything else.Helen cleans it twice a year. It is also not exactly high quality carpet and will wear in high use areas pretty fast . We would not have carpeting in another RV as just about anything else will be easier to maintain. Some here are full timers that are 24/7/365 would like to hear from them on carpeting. It does appear that many manufacturers are moving away from carpeting.
We are full timers of 7 years and we prefer carpet except the kitchen and bath areas. We remove our shoes at the door without exception and do not have pets or smokers. The carpet in the 2012 we just replaced was very close to looking as good as the day it was bought. It was regularly vacuumed but never professionally cleaned.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #17
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
We are full timers of 7 years and we prefer carpet except the kitchen and bath areas. We remove our shoes at the door without exception and do not have pets or smokers. The carpet in the 2012 we just replaced was very close to looking as good as the day it was bought. It was regularly vacuumed but never professionally cleaned.
I agree with the carpeting preference, especially on colder days. It makes the room look more "homey" as well. Put a picture of a unit with carpet and one without and compare the look. Personal preference for most. We too take shoes off at the door. The living area is so small that replacing it every few years wouldn't cost much, especially if you could park the trailer at Best Floors or wherever. We still might go with the area rub idea but I may get an opinion if it's feasible to remove the flooring and install carpeting after the fact.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #18
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Shame carpeting is not something that can be added or deleted while ordering. I would personally rather have no carpeting anywhere in the rig and use throw rugs instead but understand those that would rather have carpeting. Its a personal choice but they are not giving us a choice.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #19
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
I didn't mean trying to get the factory to install it. I know that's not an option. I meant to do it after delivery.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #20
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Quote:

We have a 2019 Montana 3791. No carpet in the living room and I am so glad. So much easier to keep clean. We also bought an area rug. It stays down all the time. We do Not have to roll it up when we close the slides.

Love our Montana.
Joe and Lynn Hollars
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote