Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
mtjtb
Established Member

M.O.C. #18927
Hi, I'm looking at extended warranties and some input would be appreciated.

I bought my 2015 3610RL new in August of 2016. I'm a full timer, I take my home across country a couple of times a year and thought I would check out extended warranties.

Good Sam offers a $200 deductible for $985 a year. Which is not very cost effective.

I got a quote of $1955 for 5 years ($391 a year) from RV Champion.

I know some people think that extended warranties are a waste, but I really would appreciate if some of you could give me a little of your experience with either of these companies. Or suggest some others.

Thank you.
Michael

mtjtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use Good Sam, little experience however.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I know you said you wanted replies from people with extended warranty experience, but just put that money in a savings account and if the need arises, pay for it from your own insurance money. I've done it for years and always come out ahead ... so far. I do it for my car and truck as well. Giving some outfit $3-$5K for a car warranty that you end up on the short end of a stick arguing about coverage just doesn't make sense.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #4
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
You will find a many points of view on this subject. My best advice to you is that you must be comfortable with what ever decision YOU make. Personally, because ONE instance on a 5th wheel can cost thousands of dollars, for example replacing a refrigerator, I do have an extended warranty for our Montana. On our 2005 I lost my refrigerator with 6 months left on a 7 year contract. That one episode paid for the entire warranty. Its up to you.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have GS at $529.00 per year. Also have one on the F350 but that is the only ones I have. Just makes me feel better.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #6
mtjtb
Established Member

M.O.C. #18927
Thank you for your input.

I appreciate the input. I'll decide in a couple of days.
mtjtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
when we bought our SOB we purchased the extended warranty, Protective Asset Services. we had a CB go out as we were leaving Fort Wilderness Resort at WDW on May 5th. (that was the last straw, another story). We called at 11am, check out is Noon of course. they did get someone to come out, but the garage wouldn't accept payment from PAS, first flag. I had to go online to the garage website and make a $85 service call payment. Tech shows up at 2pm. Of course already have informed Disney of the situation, and they apologize, but still have to charge us another day, its another $137, but worse places to be stranded.
Tech gets us going, but i have to go on website and pay the full service. so i am out $450 and wondering what kind of warranty i got tangled up in.
submit all the receipts online as instructed, nothing. I start calling end of June and finally get a human (from the US!) things looking up, she is very nice, etc...
I get an email from her a week ago saying the checks in the mail. today, 7-14, the check comes in full less $50 deductable, including the $137 for the additional night at Disney. They even added the tax on the part that i forgot to add on our claim. Made me happy i chose the extended when we bought our Monty last month.

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I know you said you wanted replies from people with extended warranty experience, but just put that money in a savings account and if the need arises, pay for it from your own insurance money. I've done it for years and always come out ahead ... so far. I do it for my car and truck as well. Giving some outfit $3-$5K for a car warranty that you end up on the short end of a stick arguing about coverage just doesn't make sense.
Good advice. Those extended warranty companies are in business to make a profit...naturally, and they are doing very very well.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:46 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
First check the cost of many of the items that may fail on the RV. If you can do all the work yourself they are a waste of money.We have had them on both our Montana since 2006.RV Shield, GS and now Cornerstone. We used them all with no problems at all. Many of them give you the unused portion of your premium back some give you the entire premium if you do not use it. Ask the question. Just read this forum on failures and ask yourself what are the chances you may have a major issue.
We also have the FORD ESP on our F-350 check out some of those cost.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:49 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
BTW...I think it is good business practice to make a profit.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:52 AM   #11
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
On our current MH we have USA Travel Care extended warranty. When purchasing this 2 year old unit I asked for it at the end of the process and got 3 years for $1,800. What I like about the policy is that I can take it anywhere and it is the same $100 deductible. We will have had it for about 1/2 of the 3 years when we trade units and will get almost half back since we never used it.

I'm not a huge fan of extended warranties. I go back and forth on getting one for our next RV.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:06 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Considering the failures these things have and the cost of repair can not afford to be without one.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #13
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
I usually don't buy extended warranties for anything however I did on my 2015 Mountaineer. I recently have had a few issues and now it looks like I'm in for a fight, which I will no doubt loose, with the warranty company to get coverage. I read through the contract and after 4 pages of fine print legalese my brain started to go numb. Never did finish reading the whole contract. There are so many exclusions that it makes one wonder what they will cover.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
I usually don't buy extended warranties for anything however I did on my 2015 Mountaineer. I recently have had a few issues and now it looks like I'm in for a fight, which I will no doubt loose, with the warranty company to get coverage. I read through the contract and after 4 pages of fine print legalese my brain started to go numb. Never did finish reading the whole contract. There are so many exclusions that it makes one wonder what they will cover.
What company do you you have it with??
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
A friend just had her RV refrigerator go bad. The insurance co said that was a wear out item and we are not going to fix it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #16
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I have only bought 1 extended warranty my entire life and currently still have it. I bought Ford ESP for a good price (not at selling dealer) and recently had to take the truck in to dealer for a clogged EGR cooler core and wouldn't you know it, THAT is NOT COVERED under the authentic Ford ESP! Imagine that. Dealer wanted $1400 for repair and after checking with some friends and other contacts took it to an independent diesel specialty shop and had repair done with OEM Ford parts for $860 and they did a GREAT job. Only have about 8,000 miles or 15 months left on ESP and as soon as it is expired I will have my truck bullet proofed and WILL NOT extend the ESP or ever buy another.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I bought an EZ Care warranty for around $1,600 when I bought my 2012 Montana. When it ran out last year they had paid out over $12,000 is repair bills (Norcold replacement was $5,500 all by itself). I bought another EZ Care policy for around $1,800 last year and so far they have paid out $1,100 to replace the Lippert Level Up pump (an $779 part by itself). When I have time and no plans for the RV I will take it back in to replace a leaky galley tank. That should put me over the policy cost with 3 years to go.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 AM   #18
Mark Stueck
Established Member

M.O.C. #18844
Send a message via AIM to Mark Stueck
( 2015 3610RL )I spent around 80 hours comparing companies. You need to make a chart of Pro's and Con's. And read their Contracts. (every word) There were many discussions with agents to clarify misleading terms. Be careful with exclusions, one way they get you is to NOT pay for covered items if caused by (their call) a non-covered item. Others will pay for covered items regardless. Another area to be VERY careful is "Full Time" I have heard of it being used to invalidate a warranty. Be Sure "Full Time" is "in Writing" spelled out on the contract. I had them add it before I would sign.
All that being said I went with "Wholesale Warranties"
Mark Stueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #19
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
My cooling unit on my norcold failed 6 months out of warranty, Extended coverage was just paid for by that claim and i still have 3 more years of coverage. My ram had front diff problems, Of course it was out of factory warranty and the extended warranty covered that with 100 dollar deductible. I'm glad i have the warranty. But its up to you.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote