Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Shackels

Hello all,

I finally replaced my shackels with the Dexter Kit. my shackels showed no wear from a visual view before we removed them. Upon removing them we found two that had about 500 miles left on them and they would have busted loose. There is a big difference in the thickness of the old shackels versus the new. I suggest everyone take a serious look at there original shackels and replace them. It's worth the cost to know your safe.
One thing I should mention, when we received the new shackels we installed the first one and tried to tork the nuts as directed, 30 to 50 ft. pounds. We set the tork at 40 ft. pounds and striped the first two nuts before we hit the 40 lbs. We determined the nut's were bad, I called Dexter and they agreed the nut's were defected. They UPS over night new nut's and a couple shackels, they acted quickly which I thank them for. We received the new nut's the following AM and completed our installation. We also inspected the frame and found a hair line crack (the old weld had brooke loose)near the rear hanger. It wasn't the hanger, it was the brace that run's from the top of the eye beam to the bottom on both sides of the 5er. This brace is to stop flex of the frame. It's no big thing but we rewelded these braces reinforcing them. Everyone should check this spot. If you don't understand what I am talking about I will take some pictures and post them. Someone will have to comback and tell me how to post these pictures though. Or if you give me your email I will email the pictures to you.

Have a nice Fourth,

Bill

Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, inserting a picture - here's an old post about how to do that. If you have any problems getting the pictures down to a reasonable filesize, email them to me and I'll downsize them for you.

-----------------
inserting a picture -

First you have to have the photo out on the internet somewhere, not on your personal pc. If you don't have a place to put a picture, I'd recommend www.tinypic.com . You can place pictures there for free. The picture cannot be more than 250k in size or they will automatically trim it down.

At tinypic, use the Browse button to find the picture on your pc. Then click the 'Host It' button. When the page comes back, scroll down and you'll see several boxes with urls in them. For posting here, click in the box for the one with the IMG tags on each end. Those tags are important for displaying a picture here.

After clicking in that box the url should be highlighted. Hold the ctrl key and press the 'c' key to copy the url. Sorry if too elementary, it's hard to tell level of knowledge from a post.

Then in your post, just paste (ctrl v) the url in your post. You can then click the Preview Reply button if you want to see what your post will look like before you submit it. When done, close the preview window and click the Submit Reply button.

I'd recommend your picture pasted into a post be no more than about 640x480 or thereabouts in size. You can tell the size by rightclicking and selecting properties (works that way on mine, anyhow). If you need to resize the picture and don't have software to do that, Irfanview is free at www.irfanview.com . This is what I usually use. After resizing I also do File/Save AS (rather than file/save or the save button). There I can tell it to save at 65% quality. . 30% quality usually works as well and makes for an even smaller filesize. That significantly reduces the size of the file itself so it will load faster for those on a slow connection (much appreciated if you'd do this).

It's a lot easier than it sounds.

If you want the picture to be part of your signature, go to your profile and paste that same url, with img tags, in the signature box.

Good luck. Post back if you have any problems with it. One of us will be along to help.
-------------
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Thanks Steve,

It was raining today but I will take some pictures tommorow just incase someone wants to see what I was talking about. I*'m glad to have that picture information for the future though.

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 07-04-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Bill,

In your profile you said you had a 2001 model.

You need to check your I beam by measuring it to see if you have the 8 inch I beam. In years 99-2001 there was a frame cracking problem on the 8 inch frame, Keystone manufactured a magnificant fix for it and is still upgrading these frames free of charge. I believe they went to the 10 inch frame in 2001 but I think some of the 2001 had an 8 inch frame.

If you have an 8 inch beam get your VIN number and call Keystone Customer Service to see if your VIN number requires the upgrade.

Ask them point blank if you need Service Advisory 00-8 performed on your frame. Tell them you had some frame cracking. They track the upgrades by VIN number.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:50 AM   #5
hodag
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #150
this a project i will be doing one of these days real soon. have a box of spare schackle links and greaseable bolts, just have to get at it. best now as i still have a place here at home to do it. regarding welds, we ca be crawling all over these units checking welds. wheel rims, front end hitch area, and anywhere under. should this be this way?
hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi Hodag & lighteningjack11,

I have 10" frame lighteningjack, but it's not the frame that is cracked, it's a brace to stop flex that runs from the top of the I-Beam to the bottom. It's the weld that has cracked on both sides of the rig and looks like a 1/2" pipe running from top to bottom. The crack was just on the bottom of the brace. I will take some pictures as soon as I get a chance and post them. Thanks to sreigle who informed me how to do this. I have a doctors apt. this afternoon, when I get back I will take the pictures.
hodog,
Yes that is the idea, when your under there make a visual inspection of the hangers and the general area. That is how we found our cracks. again it is nothing serious but should be taken care of. If you have a model that is more then two years old I would suggest you look good.

Bill
Old 07-05-2005, 07:00 PM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Bill,

I agree with checking for cracks. I inspect mine all the time but it is easy for me since Monty is always at home.

Just wanted to make sure. Besides like to make sure the 8 inch frame people know about the Service Advisory.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Would the "fix" only be for the original owners ? or those who bought used also ?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Vanman,

It does not matter wheather you bought new or used. The Service Advisory is tracked at Keystone my VIN number. If you bought new you should have recieved a letter from Keystone.

I purchased mine used (14 months)from a Montana Dealer without warranty. They still performed the frame upgrade on my unit free of charge. It is worth having. I will match the strength of mine at the shackles against any Montana. It was very well engineered.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:46 PM   #10
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hello all,

I'm sorry everyone but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to get these pictures of the cracked weld posted, even with Steve's help.
If you send your email address to me I will email them to you. my address is accuprep@grics.net.
sorry for the inconvience but like the old saying goes you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
The pictures did turn out good so if you want them let me know. This crack is in a place where you wouldn't think to look so they should help.

Thanks,

Bill