Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Changing a flat

I am sure this has been a subject on here before but whats peoples thought's on changing a flat on there Monty's. If you do it yourself do you jack the trailer on both sides of the axles to avoid stress at one spot or just one jack on the frame just ahead of the flat. How much do you raise the trailer before it is safe to place a jack under the axle and jack it up high enough to remove the tire? Now what about the act of blocking ahead of the good tire and pulling the trailer up on blocks high enough to change the flat, that sounds really scary puting that much weight on one tire. MAN if that tire blows YOU ARE HISTORY.
Thanks
I would rather b diving

scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Leave your fiver hooked to the truck and set the brake ... get the spare down ... loosen lug nuts ... place a jack directly under the spring perch under the axle ... change the tire ... recheck lug torque down the road a ways.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Check out the varying responses on the thread under the maintenance topic titled "jacking up 5er". I think you can get a good idea there.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Thanks
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On our prior Montana I once ran the lead wheel up on blocks to raise the rear flat off the ground so I could change it. After seeing how that much weight on that tire distorted the tire to the point it looked almost flat, there's no way I'll ever run it up on blocks like that again. That much weight on that one tire very well might have bent that axle.

Usually I call Good Sam ERS but if I change it myself I jack it like dieselguy described.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Same here per dieselguy procedure...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
The most difficult thing about changing a flat on the Montana is finding my Good Sam ERS number in the truck console!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

The most difficult thing about changing a flat on the Montana is finding my Good Sam ERS number in the truck console!
I have to agree with Michael's way of doing it as a # 1 way but the alternate would be as dieselguys posted.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
ohiobill

M.O.C. #9118
Was at the dealership yesterday while they adjusted my brakes. They lifted both wheels off the ground by placing a 3 1/2 ton floor jack between the wheels centered on the equalizer. Lifted it right up without much effort. They said this is the best jacking point. Sure seemed to beat placing the jack at the frame ahead of or behind a wheel.
ohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I removed one of the tires once to have it worked on. I lifted it with a jack under the springs and centered under the axle also. I also agree that it would be best to change if it were hooked up to the truck.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I do not like the idea of the small head of the bottle jack lifting the trailer, Tons of weight are concentrated on a 2" diameter hunk of steel, that is how metal punches work.
I like Trailer Trash's channel iron tip, that spreads the weight. I am welding my own version now. I think the best place is right at the U-bolts, where most lift from. I used the jack one time right on the U-bolt, looks scary, but it worked. I changed all 4 tires that way.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
drphelps
Established Member

M.O.C. #4813
I had a tire fail on a trip this year. Used blocks and ran good tire up so it lifted bad tire off the ground. I didn't notice any major deflection of the good tire and besides, only up a couple of inches and only for 15 minutes or so. Although a pain, it's a pretty easy way to change the tire.

Just an FYI. Once spare was on, made it on down the road to nearest Les Schwab. When replacing the tire the tech noted to me that the tire was manufactured in 1999. My unit is a 2006 so, right off the lot - brand new - the tires are 7 years old. Can explain why so many have had problems with tires on new rigs.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
drphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:10 AM   #13
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
There has been a lot of static in the news lately about tires being sold as new, when actually they are years old. I guess the lesson is, never buy without first checking the date code on the tires. If you don't know how this is done, check the internet.
I almost forgot...HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL...Let's remember the ones who celebrate in a tent with canned turkey, squeeze cranberry sauce and powdered yeast rolls in the desert so we can curse the president and congress without fear of being thrown in prison. (Of course, if we were in prison, we couldn't keep paying higher taxes.)
shotgunred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:40 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shotgunred10

There has been a lot of static in the news lately about tires being sold as new, when actually they are years old. I guess the lesson is, never buy without first checking the date code on the tires. If you don't know how this is done, check the internet.
I almost forgot...HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL...Let's remember the ones who celebrate in a tent with canned turkey, squeeze cranberry sauce and powdered yeast rolls in the desert so we can curse the president and congress without fear of being thrown in prison. (Of course, if we were in prison, we couldn't keep paying higher taxes.)

Very well put, thanks.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote